I'm getting old and grumpy - pet hate!

Options

Comments

• jaylee3
    jaylee3 Posts: 2,127 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I actually growled at someone at gymnastics class for saying they "didn't want to build muscle, just tone up".

ARGHTHEREISNOSUCHTHINGASTONING!!

...sorry. I feel better now. Maybe I should have put this in the Vents section? ;)

Anyone else got a fitness pet hate?

HBS x

I can't think of anything specific to fitness that I hate. But I do dislike it when people are obsessed with it, and don't shut up about it.

As for spelling 'pet' as 'oet' in the thread title...

Just go to edit your post, and then click on 'go advanced' and then you should be able to edit the thread title there.
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    um, as the uneducated (and I genuinely don't know)

why cant you tone up?

When i have got fit i have been toned, when i am not fit (like now) i am not toned...?

You're building muscle and losing fat, that's all. "Toning" is a word used by gyms and classes so they don't frighten off people who think "building muscle" means "looking like Arnie" :). It neatly sidesteps the line "well I don't want to look muscly...".

Why anyone would not want to look strong and healthy is beyond me, but each to their own :)
    jaylee3 wrote: »
    As for spelling 'pet' as 'oet' in the thread title...

Just go to edit your post, and then click on 'go advanced' and then you should be able to edit the thread title there.

Ah ha! Merci beaucoup :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • netwizzy
    netwizzy Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    i wouldn't necessarily call this so much a pet peeve than just a disappointment, but every time i see anyone doing a "serious" workout with those tiny pink dumbbells for every. single. workout, i die a little on the inside. i'm sure in their heads, they're just using them because they just want to "tone up".
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    netwizzy wrote: »
    i wouldn't necessarily call this so much a pet peeve than just a disappointment, but every time i see anyone doing a "serious" workout with those tiny pink dumbbells for every. single. workout, i die a little on the inside. i'm sure in their heads, they're just using them because they just want to "tone up".

Funny thing is, doing a billion reps with tiny weights is more likely to bulk you then doing a few good reps with very heavy weights...

Que sera sera :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Urghhh so the fitness trainer who runs the boot camps with very unrealistic targets is advertising his latest programme, this time the adverts state "LOSE UP TO 15 POUNDS IN TEN DAYS!!!"
    I can't see any way that can be achieved, unless he literally amputates body parts...
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok this may sound petty but i have now got a peeve.

You get set up in class everyone is equidistant from each other a neatly laid out. everyone can see the mirrors (eek!) and the instructor. warm up starts...

The same latecomer arrives every time and chooses to put her stuff down right next to someone almost touching their mat and clearly encroaching on their space so she has a prime spot.

Makes the rest of the class have to shuffle about.

i find it really irritates me.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • BugglyB
    BugglyB Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    That article illustrates exactly why the word toned exists. The images are all of women who are into body building and have rather masculine physics. That's not the beach body the "toned" aspirer is often trying to attain.

People looking to be "toned" generally want to drop the fat and not build muscle. Dropping the fat is what really gives them that definition.

That article is preaching to the converted. Build muscle and be strong and healthy, but it fails in that what its trying to sell isn't what many want. Its like a running article telling people who have no interest in running to go run a marathon to show how healthy you are and how much stamina you have for endurance events.

The article completely misses the point if it's attempting to reach an audience that isn't already body building minded.
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    Someone gave me a leaflet the other day that they got through their door from a PT, he spoke about helping people tone up. Many fitness professionals sell their products by spouting stuff they know is a load of crap.
  • cherryblossomzel
    cherryblossomzel Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2014 at 5:32PM
    Options
    Many fitness professionals sell their products by spouting stuff they know is a load of crap.

Yes, but you can't really blame them too much, it's language their potential customers understand. I think a lot of lay people understand "toning" to mean firming up a bit, losing that jiggle, something that a lot of women want. If you use the words "building muscle" (even though it's technically correct), they freak out, think you intend to turn them into a hulking great monster, and you lose the sale. The PT knows better, but for advertising they have to use language that their customers will relate to. PT can of course then educate them a bit, once they have them in the gym.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure