I'm getting old and grumpy - pet hate!

Options
heartbreak_star
heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
edited 27 October 2014 at 12:40PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
I actually growled at someone at gymnastics class for saying they "didn't want to build muscle, just tone up".

ARGHTHEREISNOSUCHTHINGASTONING!!

...sorry. I feel better now. Maybe I should have put this in the Vents section? ;)

Anyone else got a fitness pet hate?

HBS x
"I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer

Comments

• fairy_lights
    Options
    I get irritated when people talk about toning too, especially when I see exercise classes advertised with names like "trim and tone" or that guarantee to "tone you up in time for summer".
    Toning is not a thing, (unless you're talking about toner cartridges in your printer...) and gym's, run by professional fitness trainers should know better.

There's also a personal trainer near me who advertises his boot camp programme on Facebook with the tag line "lose up to ten pounds in ten days!" which is a ridiculously unhealthy and unrealistic expectation, and totally misleads people about what they can sensibly achieve.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am old and grumpy and I love it!
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    Lots of fitness pet hates but given there are people in the industry who look down on people like me, Im a gym and exercise to music instructor working towards a personal training qualification, because in their view I dont have enough experience to work with people effectively, I dont get myself too worked up about fitness myths because I know plenty of instructors who do classes such as body pump and body combat because they think they are going to get ripped, people in the industry also buy into myths and therefore if someone who comes along to my classes talks about getting toned, the way forward is just with a bit of conversation and hopefully education.

Similarly with the I'll eat what I want and burn it all off later, plenty of exercise instructors also believe that as well.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    People who don't wipe down equipment after they use it. Especially treadmills.

Deeesgusting!!
  • thx1138
    thx1138 Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I hate the Office of Engineering and Technology with a passion.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    thx1138 wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate the Office of Engineering and Technology with a passion.

I'm usually so nitpicky with my spelling, that should tell you what a rage I was in :)

Can't work out how to correct it though!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • thx1138
    thx1138 Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    I'm usually so nitpicky with my spelling, that should tell you what a rage I was in :)

Can't work out how to correct it though!

HBS x

Don't feel bad. I didn't even know what you were talking about until my wife explained to me that oet was 'pet' misspelled!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm old and grumpy as well but i do like going the gym, my favourite machine is the one in the foyer that sells Mars Bars.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I'm old and grumpy as well but i do like going the gym, my favourite machine is the one in the foyer that sells Mars Bars.

....and hot chocolate,its also the only machine you don't have to wipe down.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    um, as the uneducated (and I genuinely don't know)

why cant you tone up?

When i have got fit i have been toned, when i am not fit (like now) i am not toned...?
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure