Time for adult only flights

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also , it's vile to call a two year old a brat. It's just a two year old, end of.
  • prl100
    prl100 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've suffered from a noisy flight recently which was due to the sound coming from a very young child. The mother was trying her best, but was unable to silence the child for most of the flight (7 hours).

I can't really blame the child for this as it must be a difficult experience for them if they don't understand what is going on, and sometimes not traveling is not an option for the parent for one reason or another. More so than children/babies, however, the one I most dread is being seated next to a stag do or similar group of rowdy individuals. I've been lucky so far to not experience this yet.

I'm not expecting anyone to ban kids (or stag dos) from flights but I would like the option to sit in a section of the plane that would be reserved as a quiet zone (like they do on many trains) and I would not mind paying a bit extra to do so either.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    prl100 wrote: »
    I've suffered from a noisy flight recently which was due to the sound coming from a very young child. The mother was trying her best, but was unable to silence the child for most of the flight (7 hours).

I can't really blame the child for this as it must be a difficult experience for them if they don't understand what is going on, and sometimes not traveling is not an option for the parent for one reason or another. More so than children/babies, however, the one I most dread is being seated next to a stag do or similar group of rowdy individuals. I've been lucky so far to not experience this yet.

I'm not expecting anyone to ban kids (or stag dos) from flights but I would like the option to sit in a section of the plane that would be reserved as a quiet zone (like they do on many trains) and I would not mind paying a bit extra to do so either.

A screaming child would still be heard in the quiet zone.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Give the kids something to keep them happy and contented on a flight. Not to mention the rest of us on the same flight aswell!

It is done more than we think!

should parents drug babies on long flights?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21977785

After our 19 month old decided that she only wanted to sleep for an hour on an 11 hour overnight flight we got a prescription for the return journey. It worked fantastically, as it did the following year on the outbound journey. Sadly we found out about the potential side effects on the return journey - namely that it can make the child the opposite of sleepy. She went bonkers. We spent about 5 hours of the flight in the galley (to minimise the impact on other travellers) being hit, kicked, scratched and bitten. Fortunately she was fine this year - quiet and well behaved throughout (no medication) and went to sleep straight after dinner.

And for those advocating paying extra for first class to avoid kids - don't bother because on every long haul flight I've been on for years there has always been at least one family turning left on entering the plane.

Putting my tin hat on in readiness for the onslaught of those who disagree with me having "drugged" my daughter.
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    I could see it as a commercial winner on long haul flights. I would pay a premium if a child free flight was guaranteed.

Bit like never going to pubs that say they are child friendly.
  • happycomper22
    Options
    You can still buy a child a first class ticket so no guarantees that section would be child free. Even if they were banned from first class if a child was screaming that bad you would probably hear them up there anyway.
    No - one likes to listen to a screaming child, but expecting airplines to put on specific flights to avoid the problem? Come on!
    OP - think its time you either charter your own flight or buy a pair of earplugs and get over it. Your judgemental attitude is disgusting btw.
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    Having recently been on the other side it can be pretty horrendous from the other side.

We went on our first family holiday to Crete so about a 4 hour flight. On the way out my son (22 months) was fine. Unfortunately we had an echoey restaurant on holiday and my son discovered he could make a high pitch shrieking noise and that he liked the sound and that he got a reaction from us - in the restaurant it was a warning followed by a removal from the restaurant and back to the room if he carried on

The plane home was horrendous as he started the shrieking while we were taking off. My son is at an age where you cannot reason with him - he doesn't understand and is purely motivated by getting a reaction. I was so embarrassed and apologising to everyone and after 10 mins my husband broke and gagged him by keeping his hand across his mouth to try and stop him while I was sat there in tears.

Don't think that the parents don't care or that we are a chavy benefit mums who can't control their kids - it is incredibly embarrassing as in an aeroplane environment you cannot remove them from the situation and the 2 year olds don't understand and cannot be reasoned with. If you are getting into the idea of segregation how far will you take it... A section where disabled people can't sit in case they upset others? What about the overweight or those with unfortunate odours? They must be put in their own sections so they don't disrupt anyone. If you want a middle class adults only section then pay for business class.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    It is a fallacy that there will be no children (screaming or otherwise) in business class or first class.
    [
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere Posts: 752 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2014 at 12:07AM
    Options
    Maybe there would be a benefit to provide for both - a small number of adult only flights at a slight premium, which would subsidise family flights with extra facilities/cabin staff to help harassed parents?
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Options
    spinybif wrote: »
    Just got back from a wonderfully relaxing week in Greece until the flight home. Single mum, probably paying for holiday on her benefits, was accompanied by a 2 year old brat that managed to scream for most of the journey home. It was almost at the stage of 297 passengers willing someone to throw it out the emergency exit, no witnesses, no-one saw a thing !

Why don't airlines offer occasional adult only flights to popular holiday destinations ?

Hello.

They do do occasional adult only flights to popular destinations.

Look up 2wentys (a Thomson Holiday Company)

Or Club 18-30 (a division of Thomas Cook)

I doubt there will be many "2 year old brats" on they flights.

Maybe these flights would suit you better? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure