Time for adult only flights

Options
Just got back from a wonderfully relaxing week in Greece until the flight home. Single mum, probably paying for holiday on her benefits, was accompanied by a 2 year old brat that managed to scream for most of the journey home. It was almost at the stage of 297 passengers willing someone to throw it out the emergency exit, no witnesses, no-one saw a thing !

Why don't airlines offer occasional adult only flights to popular holiday destinations ?

Comments

• barryboris
    Options
    spinybif wrote: »
    Just got back from a wonderfully relaxing week in Greece until the flight home. Single mum, probably paying for holiday on her benefits, was accompanied by a 2 year old brat that managed to scream for most of the journey home. It was almost at the stage of 297 passengers willing someone to throw it out the emergency exit, no witnesses, no-one saw a thing !

Why don't airlines offer occasional adult only flights to popular holiday destinations ?

I feel your pain.

However this is never going to happen - why would they? A lot of families go on holiday from whom they will make money off.

The larger planes could perhaps have an adult only zone in a certain section or something though
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Whilst I sympathise with the main point I am left to wonder how you know she is a single parent or on benefits even if she is.

I get fed up enough with screaming kids in a shop and I can walk out of there!
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Or possibly a divorced or widowed mum taking a well earned holiday which she has saved for ages to be able to do. Perhaps she flew last year with her child with no problems at all and perhaps this time the child was unwell or had ear problems due to the altitude.

Perhaps she was embarrassed and ever so sorry her child was causing such a problem. I don't suppose she enjoyed the flight much either.

Perhaps you could fly first class next time instead of having to mix with riff raff!

As for adult only flights-
    I flew to America last April and had to put up with a foul mouthed middle aged man sat behind me who insisted on farting really loudly and complaining all the way. Wasn't you by any chance was it?
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Firstly, that is pretty judgemental of you to assume that a single parent is on benefits.

Secondly, I'd gladly throw you off a plane with that attitude, as would my dear brother who is a flight attendant.

I've flown with my niece on several occasions (she's now 6 - the first being when she was 7 months old on a transatlantic flight of 11 hours), and every time I have had people come up to me and say what a well behaved child she is. Its likely the child was either bored, or had had a little too much sun (they tend to go loopy).

Did you not ask the mother if there was anything you could help with, to help quieten the child? Or did you jump off into the deep end and assume that she's a bad parent who doesn't work because you're horrendously closed minded?

Next time, ask if you can HELP the parent instead of judging her - you might be pleasantly surprised. Or buy some nice noise-cancelling headphones - Bose are rather good at them.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    You need to be careful what you wish for. I once chanced upon an "adults only" tv channel, and to be honest, I won't look at root vegetables in the same way again.
    Sure, whatever floats your boat, but I'm sure there are more appropriate places for that sort of thing...
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didnt realise a parent taking a child on a plane was a clear indication of being single and on benefits. Suggest you look for adult only holidays, where there's less chance of a single parent on benefits taking their child with them. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • barryboris
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Firstly, that is pretty judgemental of you to assume that a single parent is on benefits.

I've flown with my niece on several occasions (she's now 6 - the first being when she was 7 months old on a transatlantic flight of 11 hours), and every time I have had people come up to me and say what a well behaved child she is. Its likely the child was either bored, or had had a little too much sun (they tend to go loopy).

Did you not ask the mother if there was anything you could help with, to help quieten the child? Or did you jump off into the deep end and assume that she's a bad parent who doesn't work because you're horrendously closed minded?

Next time, ask if you can HELP the parent instead of judging her - you might be pleasantly surprised. Or buy some nice noise-cancelling headphones - Bose are rather good at them.

So you'd throw someone off a plane because they didn't want to listen to a child screaming the whole way?

Makes you just as bad (if not worse) than the OP.

And why the hell should they offer to help...it's the child's mother's responsibility. Some people actually want to have a bit of peace when flying.

Don't you go calling the op judgmental and that act like a bigger idiot in the rest of your post. :mad:
  • Johnnytwostep
    Options
    You should get a better job and fly first class, much better class of people there.
  • giantmutantbroccoli
    Options
    Actually it is possible to have an adults-only flight - all you have to do is charter your own plane.
    :coffee:Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP - oh dear what a loser you are.

Im guessing you're single, live alone and have no kids? Thought so.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport