We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DFW journey starts today

Options

Comments

• AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you're feeling positive after your walk, I like to get out of the office at lunch and clear my head with a good walk around town. Don't give snooty colleague another thought, if she can't be supportive then that's her problem. You are doing well, so you're allowed to be proud :T
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I made a decision that I've been putting off for a while - not a massive life changing decision but I'm rubbish at making decisions so it's good for me!

I'm finally going to have my cambelt changed as this was recommended back when I had my service in June/July! Whilst its £200 I would really like to throw at the debts, if it goes I will be a lot worse off! I currently have £30 in my car maintenance pot so that's at least something towards it. So I'm going to book a day off at the end of month (i.e. after pay day) and get it booked in.

Also, decided to change up some clubcard vouchers so that me and my OH can go out for a meal. Haven't been out together in ages and didn't really get each other xmas presents so it can be our little treat.

Can't wait until OH gets paid on Friday. Not that I'll be spending the money he gives me but it will go somewhere, just need to decide where! I may put it aside so that its in advance e.g. so that I can have the food pot at the start of each month rather than week to week. Although food is an area I'm going to try and reign in - I haven't been proper food shopping since possibly 14 December (or it may have been 21 but I don't think it was that close to xmas as I was trying to avoid them as much as possible) and we've survived with just a few top ups! I did do a bigger shop that normal but still only spent about £105 and other than the extras OH bought for xmas, I've maybe spent about £20. I know I should know but as I haven't had a food pot I haven't kept as close an eye on it as I should as its come out of my money.
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Yay! Just been accepted for a balance transfer CC and earnt £25.25 cashback in the process!

The fee equates to about 5 months of interest at the rate I'm currently paying - although it doesn't cover the whole of my CC so I will pay a small amount of interest until its cleared. If I'm correct, it will take my current CC down to £1,158.58, with 34 months to pay off the transferred £4,750 before that starts accruing interest.

Just the fact that I've been accepted makes me feel so much better as it made me feel bad being rejected before, especially as it was at the same time as realising how much debt I'm in, so overall I wasn't feeling good moneywise.

I'm not going to split them on my signature I don't think - as this will make it look like I've added a debt/paid off a chunk when I haven't. In my eyes its one debt - I've just shifted some over.

In other news - I picked a good month to have my cambelt done as my mum reminded/told me that you don't pay council tax at the beginning of Feb and March. So that's £130 that I don't have to pay. However, in my budget for Feb I've counted it as though I do have to pay it just to be on the safe side. Then I can decide where to allocate it/what to pay off.

I also went back to zumba last night and feel good but achy for it! Also been for a walk on my lunch break most days this week. Must start getting fit again! The other year I was casually running 11km I now I don't think I could do 2! May be going running tomorrow with a friend so we shall see!

So overall feeling really positive and I'm going to see some friends tonight and OH should have been paid today! So despite it being January and the first week back at work and having practically no money, I don't have a case of the January blues! Let's hope I haven't spoken too soon! :j
    Starting again..
  • October_Starter
    Options
    Fantastic Twiggy.

You are really an inspiration to everyone reading your diary. You are taking everything in your stride and being so positive. It is a joy to follow you :)

October xx
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Thanks so much October! This diary really helps me, but if it helps others too then that's great! There really is some great motivation on these boards! Like to hope I'll stay on here even when I'm debt free!

Haven't really spent much this weekend. Went out for dinner on Friday with some friends which was lovely and only spent £8! Actually did a meal plan so shopping on came to £45 which is really good for me! Went for a 4.2 mile run/walk with a friend yesterday so free exercise and I feel better for it. We're going to make it a weekly thing so will be great to get back into running. Friend is quite unfit so did walk more than I would have if I was on my own, but great to go with someone. Think we're going to sign up to the British heart foundation run although depending on our progress not sure whether to do the 5 or 10 km one - I did the 10k before and there is a big hill involved! Aim is also to do tough mudder next year!

Didn't spend any money yesterday other than food shopping. Do need to get a couple of bits today but won't be a lot.

Think that's everything to report for today!
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Forgot to say my dad fitted a new headlight bulb so that was a free fix!

Just walked to Mr t to get a couple of bits - only got the couple of bits I went in for! Used the 37p off next shop receipt I wombled yesterday and used a naked bar coupon which gave me an extra 25p off as they're on offer. And I found a receipt with 75 unclaimed points on!

Need to call the guy who fitted our kitchen tomorrow. Kept finding water in the cupboard under the sink but couldn't find a leak. Finally sussed it out - water is getting through between the edge of the sink and the worktop rather than a problem with the plumbing. So want to speak to him in case the worktop goes funny, plus the shelf in the cupboard has gone a bit funny from keep getting wet. Dad could sort the leak but obviously if we're going to need a new worktop, the kitchen guy is responsible. Kitchen has only been in about 9 months and only been living here 6 months!

Right must get on with getting dinner prepped!
    Starting again..
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive just sat and read your whole diary :) you are doing awesome hun, well done

*subscribed* xx
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Thanks kindofagilr and well done for reading all my ramblings!
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    So there was me thinking I was being super ahead of the game saving for next years hen dos (I have two but don't know what the plan for one is yet). So far I've saved £30 which I thought was great as they're not until next June time.

However, one of the brides is super organised and has already booked the villa for a week in Portugal and would like to get it paid by July (£130)! At which point she then wants to book the flights (approx. £130)! It will only be about £260 for a week in Portugal and the villa looks amazing, I just didn't expect her to be this organised!

So I'm going to have to up the amount I put aside each month so that I get the villa paid off early and then have time to save for the flights! However at least once this one is paid off I can just save towards the other one and hope that they are less organised and don't want any money soon!
    Starting again..
  • October_Starter
    Options
    Wowzer...

I remember the days when hen dos were a night on the town wearing something ridiculous and having lots of phallic symbols around. These days they are a week abroad and cost the earth. You would think the bride and groom would want to save the money for a fantastic honeymoon.

I am sure you will save the money Twiggy and don't forget to see if you could get airmiles with Clu8card to reduce costs :)

October xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family