We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DFW journey starts today

Options

Comments

• October_Starter
    Options
    Woohoo!

Can't wait to see how well you do in 2015! It's going to be a great year for us all! :)

October xx
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really must do a proper post as I've neglected my diary over Christmas and new year. However I have had my MSE hat on! Need to work out exactly how much I've spent but I think it's in the region of £100 since 23 December which includes buying a few bits of food, as not getting money from oh at the moment. This is a LOT less than I've spent in previous years and includes a lunch out with friends (£13.35 and I was so full I didn't eat anything else all day!)

I am keeping track of how much oh owes me. Will be good when it all comes in as the money which I normally spend on food can go straight in the house fund pot which is what I normally do with the leftover money.

Today has/will mainly be spent giving the house a good clean. Have kept on top of keeping it cosmetically clean but know that if I look closely there's dust everywhere! Also need to pop to lidl just for some milk and cheese - will try to resist getting anything else as we need to make do with what's here until next Friday.

Had a chat with oh and I think he is now fully on board. I told him that he needs to realise that he has to wait for things - he has a tendency to want things now and doesn't like it when I say no! I will also be saying no more often as I do give in.

Here's hoping for a good 2015 - I am secretly hoping to pay off all the debt by the end of the year but may not be doable if we want to get some more work done on the house.

Oh also I spoke to my mum and dad about my overdraft fees. They've said that if I need it, they will lend me the money to get me out my od once I've paid off the beds (ie taking me back into the od) as they don't like paying more than you have to - especially not to banks! However I am going to try and clear as much of it as possible before then. It's currently down to £400.03 so may need to borrow about £200 which they will just add onto what I already owe them. Although by that point it should be down to about £200.

Enough ramblings - happy new year!
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    edited 5 January 2015 at 3:45PM
    Options
    I final did an SOA - need to give it some more thought as I'm not sure I've done it all correctly but here's the results below...

Monthly Budget

Total monthly income 2,032.27
    Monthly expenses (incl. HP & secured loans) 1,233.56
    Available for debt repayments 798.71
    UNsecured debt repayments 455
    Amount left after debt repayments 343.71

Personal Balance Sheet
    Total Assets (things you own) 204,000
    Total Secured & HP Debt -89,000
    Total Unsecured Debt -7,711.24
    Net Assets 107,288.76

Household Information
    Number of adults in household 2
    Number of children in household 0
    Number of cars owned 1

Income, Expense, Debt & Asset Details
    Income
    Monthly income after tax 1445.49
    Partners monthly income 0 I haven't included OH's income and just based it on the minimum he gives me each month
    Benefits 0
    Other income 586.78 Money from OH
    Total monthly income 2032.27
    Expenses
    Mortgage 311.6
    Secured/HP loan payments 0
    Rent 0
    Management charge (leasehold property) 0
    Council tax 130
    Electricity 49.5
    Gas 49.5
    Oil 0
    Water Rates 29.5
    Telephone (land line) 0 Included in Sky package so listed under TV
    Mobile phone 15.5
    TV Licence 12.18
    Satellite/Cable TV 86.78 OH wants Sky and BT sport so he pays for this
    Internet services 0 Included in Sky package so listed under TV
    Groceries etc. 200
    Clothing 10
    Petrol/diesel 100
    Road tax 17
    Car Insurance 20
    Car maintenance (including MOT) 10
    Car Parking 0
    Other travel 0
    Childcare/nursery 0
    Other child related expenses 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentists, opticians etc.) 0
    Pet Insurance/Vet bills 0
    Buildings Insurance 12
    Contents Insurance 0
    Life Assurance 0
    Other Insurance 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc.) 10
    Haircuts 10
    Entertainment 100
    Holiday 10
    Emergency Fund 20
    Hen dos/weddings 10
    House renovation fund 20
    Total monthly expenses 1233.56
    Secured & HP Debt Description
    Debt(£)Monthly(£)APR(%)
    Mortgage 89000 (311.6) 0

Secured & HP Debt totals89000 - -
    Unsecured Debt DescriptionDebt(£)Monthly(£)APR(%)
    Credit card 5908.58 150 6.9
    OD 400.03 10 40
    Next 140.67 15 24.99
    Parents 386.96 80 0
    Beds 875 200 0
    Unsecured Debt totals 7711.24 455 -
    Asset Description
    Value (£)
    Cash 0
    House Value (Gross) 200000
    Shares and bonds 0
    Car(s) 4000
    Other assets (e.g. endowments, jewellery etc) 0
    Total Assets 204000
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Having done this is does raise a few areas that I need to start putting money towards i.e. dentist appointments. Also so of the figures are abit of a lie - in that I don't put the money aside for those things (car tax for example) - however this is going to change!

My only problem with adding more categories to my spreadsheet is that I will be paying less off my debts. However this isn't all about becoming debt free but becoming better with money and planning for things. So I'm going to set up my spreadsheet now for when I get paid at the end of this month so I don't forget to add them in!
    Starting again..
  • October_Starter
    Options
    Good start Twiggy.

Working things out, really opens your eyes to things, doesn't it?

I have to look into a spreadsheet for myself. I blame my OH for my distraction. He bought me season 1-4 of the walking zombies ;) I have been watching that instead of sorting out my finances but at least it isnt costing me money :)

October xx
  • twiggy86
    edited 14 January 2015 at 10:13AM
    Options
    This month I've made:-
    * Petrol savings - £3.15
    * Interest - 2p
    * Current account reward - £5
    * Nakd bar coupons - 75p x 4 = £3
    * Wombled money off next shop receipts - 37p
    * OVO interest - 29p

TOTAL - £11.83/£155
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Next have taken their payment for this month of £13.20 - off to update my signature and spreadsheet!
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Grrrr!!!!!

I am so annoyed at the lady I work with! I made a comment about using up stuff we have in the cupboards as I'm broke and she looked down her nose at me and said "what, you've spent all your money already"?! Actually no - I've paid off my debts with it and allocated the rest to saving. Oh and my OH hasn't earnt any money for the last 2 and half weeks so I'm trying to be careful!

Some people seriously have no idea! I'm poor because I'm trying to be sensible and plan for the future - there's money in the bank but it's allocated! The annoying thing is, she knows exactly what my situation is and how much I've paid off so far! So why is she now judging me?!
    Starting again..
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Twiggy it's probably because she hasn't had her LBM yet , in a few months time she'll be asking you for tips and advice. At which point you can say 'what, you mean you haven't figured it out yourself yet?'
    Don't let her get to you. ��
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Thanks AleMrsT. However its probably more likely that she doesn't have money worries as she's quite well off, as is her OH, so she cant understand what its like to try to budget and having an OH without a steady wage! I've been for a nice walk on my lunch break so I'm now feeling positive that actually I'm doing well - if I do say so myself!
    Starting again..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family