DFW journey starts today

Options

Comments

• twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh and it helps to feel positive when I've got a minimum of £100 to pay off my debts tomorrow. But which debts?! Use it to help clear the next to meet my own target or use it towards the beds which have an actual deadline to meet? Or some off both?! Ahhh decisions decisions!
    Starting again..
  • October_Starter
    Options
    I am super skint at the moment, more than I realised and far more than I am comfortable with. I wish I had some extra money in the pot to pay off bills. You are in a good situation Hon. Keep going and don't doubt yourself :)

October xx
  • AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with October, you're doing really well with it all. Personally I'd try and get as much paid towards the beds as possible, as you don't want a mad panic trying to find a lump sum when the payment is due. (Pre LBM, I'd have paid the beds with the CC that's nearly cleared with the balance transferred from, hence why I've been in debt for the last 10 years! :rotfl: learning now though!)
  • twiggy86
    edited 17 January 2015 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Thank you both! You are of course right and I am very lucky that I do have extra money to pay off my debts. I'm just impatient!

I decided to do as you said and pay it off the beds - I knew it was the best thing to do but as my next is the smallest debt I wanted to try and get at least one debt wiped out!

So today I have paid £150 off the beds.

Been quite a successful day. Need to get some light bulbs and one scanned at £6 less than it should! Then went into town for an appointment and to pop to the bank. Parked in asda and used some more pizza vouchers! So got £7.50 off using them plus my £1.50 parking! So saved £15 today!
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    edited 19 January 2015 at 5:27PM
    Options
    I've realised that I am a very lucky girl! Whilst my debt scares me, I'm fortunate that I am able to pay chunks off and I don't have immediate money worries - I just need to make more sensible decisions.

I also have good health. Someone I went to school with has recently had two heart attacks, needs a kidney and pancreas transplant and has various other health issue. She is 27, which is scary as you tend to think that you're invincible when you're young!

So I'm not going to be so hard on myself and try and be more positive! Yes I will give myself a kick up the bum if I start to go off track but will forgive any wobbles! After all I paid not far off £500 off my debts, put aside £110 in various pots, plus Christmas! And that's not mentioning then I've only been out in the big wide world of running a house for 6 months! Prior to this I was living with my parents saving for a deposit and being very well looked after and paying not much rent! So I deserve more credit than I give myself! (If I do say so myself!)

I also have a hard working, loving (but not romantic) OH! I just wish he was better with money - says he's on board but I don't think he is fully as I manage all the bills and debt repayment so he doesn't "see" it (if that makes sense). However (being positive and all that) he is definitely getting better with money and also the amount his hard work has saved us (think re-building part of the front of house) I need to remember as well!

So yes, I'm lucky and need to remember that! So if ever I'm moaning please point me in the direction of this post!
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    All except one bill has gone out now (and I know how much it's for) so I've just used the excess in the bills account to pay £30.83 off my next and a MASSIVE 4p (!!!) of my OD!

Maybe (probably, possibly, more than likely) I should have used it towards the beds but I feel better now I've made an overpayment on the next as haven't done this for a while. Will throw some at the beds on payday (Friday!)

So that takes my Next to under £100, OD to under £400 (ok only by 1p but it was annoying me that it was so close to being sub £400!) and my total debt to just under £7,500!
    :j
    Starting again..
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Payday tomorrow!

I'm very impressed with my efforts last month even if I was hard on myself on my monthly LBM update! Despite it being xmas and having to support my OH due to him not working over xmas, I have £25 in my bank and £25 in my purse! I do need to spend about £10 today though and I have purchased a couple of bits recently but I think all the money has gone out for those! So it shows that when I REALLY reign in my spending I can do well!

Need to double check my budgets for the month. I think I might put £100 for my car this month and the rest (£80) next month and pay it at the end of February - already have £30 put aside from the past few months as this is one of my "pots". It's a friend of my dad and they are quite lax at issuing invoices anyway so shouldn't be a problem. However, I have budgeted for the council tax to come out this month to be on the safe side but don't think it will. In which case that's an extra £130 spare! However car tax is due at the end of February as well - but I think you can pay monthly now at now extra cost? Need to look into that!
    Starting again..
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Well done on what you have done so far.. you are doing really great.. I like your 4p off the overdraft.. it made me smile.. every penny counts though! Will subscribe!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • twiggy86
    Options
    Thanks DFOD! I just couldn't bear it any longer that it was £400.03! Slight OCD maybe?! Or maybe its just the psychological effect of it starting with a 3 instead of a 4!
    Starting again..
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    No I totally agree and do the same.. it's a psychological thing, but motivating as well!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family