Oh gawd.....I've joined a gym.....again....

Options
Gingernutty
Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 October 2014 at 12:08PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
Hello.

I'm less than five feet tall and a size 22.

I'm ball shaped.

I've been looking into gym membership. Again.

I always have good intentions, but have wasted money on memberships and not gone.

I can talk myself out of anything and this needs to stop.

The intention has always been to go home, pick up my gym gear and go out again to the gym.

Of course, once I go home, I don't go out again.

It would be harder for me to ignore the gym if I had to walk past it every time I go to and from work.

I'm out anyway, it's only an hour or two....

So. Down to the question.

I work in one town and live in another.

Where I live, the local council's leisure centres are completely out of the way, one in an industrial estate and the other out of the town centre and awkward to get to.

The one in the town where I work is run down, looks dirty and puts me right off.

Now. There is a Pure Gym near to where I live and a Pure Gym near to where I work.

If I joined one, do I have to use just that one, or, once inducted, can I use any Pure Gym?

If someone is a member of a Pure Gym in say, Glasgow, could they use that membership in, say, Edinburgh?

ETA : I've joined. I've got the induction tomorrow.

The 'plan' such as it is, is to get into the habit of going - if that means popping in for a half hour on the treadmill then fine - it's more than I'm doing now.

Hopefully, I'll gain a bit more confidence, try a few things and, maybe get into some of the classes.

Yeah......:o

I have really got to work on my self motivation.
:huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:

Comments

• Finknottle
    Options
    Their website "join" page has different membership options including single club, "out of London", and "All Club".
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    Finknottle wrote: »
    Their website "join" page has different membership options including single club, "out of London", and "All Club".

Thanks.

I was looking at FAQs and didn't want to go to Join page until I had an answer.......
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    try putting your gym clothes on the side of the bed and the trainers right by the door so as soon as you get in you get changed and go straight back out again... If you find the gym boring, i don't know if that's the case or not, but if so, take an ipod along, or if you have an ipad or a kindle you can download programmes/films onto it and watch them at the gym, or some people like audio-books.
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    cazs wrote: »
    try putting your gym clothes on the side of the bed and the trainers right by the door so as soon as you get in you get changed and go straight back out again... If you find the gym boring, i don't know if that's the case or not, but if so, take an ipod along, or if you have an ipad or a kindle you can download programmes/films onto it and watch them at the gym, or some people like audio-books.

I've signed up for a class a day. The thinking behind that is that someone is expecting me and I'd be letting them down if I didn't show up.

There are also recently introduced penalties for booking a class and not showing up/repeatedly cancelling.

I've got my gym kit as compact as possible and tucked into a pillowcase that can be brought with me to work and the sessions are listed on my phone with reminders and alarms....

It's got to the stage now where something has to be done regardless of whether I like it or not and no one else is going to do it for me.

At least it's a reasonable price....
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    I know you have joined now and I hope it works out. If it doesnt then get a bike instead and ride to and from work, then your getting your exercize without having to make the effort of going to the gym.
    If your work doesnt have secure parking then get a folding bike and put it under your desk. I think its miles cheaper than the gym plus you save on bus fares/train fares as well.
  • Finknottle
    Finknottle Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2014 at 7:36AM
    Options
    Well done for joining!

I'm the same in that I'll go because I've booked a class and it's more hassle to back down and cancel than just to get on with it and go.

It can be intimidating at first when you're new and it can seem like everybody else knows each other and know all the moves - but if you persevere I hope you'll soon find people to chat with and it makes a big difference to be able to say "see you Tuesday" and know you'll be missed unless you turn up on Tuesday.

A class every day sounds like a great motivator, but, when you're new to the gym it might be a big ask to drag your poor body back in every single day when you're still sore and aching from the day before. So I'd suggest don't be too hard on yourself and get disheartened. Some people work out e.g. every other day and let their bodies rest and recover in between. You'll soon find what routine works best for you, and which classes and instructors you get on with best.

Good luck! :)
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    I've come back from LBT.

Having an RSI affecting both wrists, I thought that would be a good move.

How wrong was I?

A lot of time was spent on the floor doing bunny hops, downward facing lunges and so on.

I spent a lot of time lunging on the spot.....

I kept moving. That's the main thing.

The cycles are too high and hard to grip even with the seat right down so a large portion of my time is going to be spent on the treadmills for now.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Do they have seated cycles? I know my gym got a couple for people who couldn't use a normal bike.

Good luck :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Gingernutty
    Options
    I've come back from Ladies' Tone.

More lunges, this time with weights.

And I had a go on the power plate.

Ow.

Just that.

Just, just ow.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I've come back from Ladies' Tone.

More lunges, this time with weights.

And I had a go on the power plate.

Ow.

Just that.

Just, just ow.

Powerplates are great for changing your shape but not shifting weight. I first rented one (a vibration plate rather than genuine powerplate) for a month to see if I liked it and ended up buying one and love it. When the wobble gets too wobbly for my liking I go on it every day for a week and it helps to tone up.

I can't remember the place I rented it from but it was something like powerplate Scotland and they sell on ex rentals but I ended up getting mine from Amazon. I find it a really good motivator as my shape changes quite quickly and it drives me to do other stuff to not sabotage that.

Good luck with the gym
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure