We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    I seriously need to spend a day in the garden this week with the mild weather im very much behind with the weeding.....
    I've been out and about most days, doing the jobs I love to hate, such as trimming the elm hedge on the garden side where the tractor couldn't go. I do the sides now with a Bosch battery jobbie, then the top with a long, mains-powered, uncontrollable thing from Aldi. Actually, it's not bad compared with the heavier Stihl long-reach Pete was using last week on Horse Woman's hedging. That was too heavy for me! :o

Then down to the woodland copse, rinse and repeat on the hornbeam/cotoneaster hedge there, lowering it to make it bushier and the next cut easier. The thatchers have parked two lorry containers permanently, so I no longer need to go round and do their side. :D

I've also been in the road hedge for a couple of sessions, but being in a blackthorn, hawthorn and honeysuckle section, it's been very tough and I can only manage 90 minutes a day there. Very scratched!

By heck, there will be some bonfires when the wind's right! :j
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 8:21PM
    Options
    hiya peeps

had a bit of a sh*te 2019 so far !

mums been poorly with some sort of eye infection that affects the nerves so is very painfull [headache above eye] 3rd hosp visit this Thursday ...
    one of our black swans [male] got eaten ! so mr foxy had a VERY expensive dinner .....
    AND one of my darling little mini shetlands has died ... no idea why , no visible injuries etc ... it was lori [you may know him by "the little sh*t" ] he was a devil on legs but adorable ...

so I am sulking a tad at the moment !
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Aw, alfie, I'm sorry; I thought you'd been uncharacteristically quiet.

Yes I remember Lori was spoken about by name....for a reason! He'll stay in your memory for longer now as a result.:A

Is Mum's eye thing conjunctivitis? Had it before Christmas so bad that the quack was threatening hospital, but antibiotics zapped it in 3 days. Very painful and annoying. Got it again last week, but only one eye and it seems I've fought it off now.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, Alfie so sad a start to the year. I'm so sorry about the little horse. It's a puzzle when an animal dies like that.

I hope your Mum's eye gets sorted out really soon.

I haven't had a Choille fire as it's horizonal rain here for days now. It was mild but turning again much colder & the wind is blustering up again.
    Went for a walk up to the old sawmill & the amount of trees half down all propped against one another was unbelievable - pines at the end of their lives and so would I be if one came down on me an Collie Wobble. Got out quite sharpish when they all started creaking & groaning with the wind and gravity. Loads of woodland around like that. Been done as a tax dodge & then just abandoned I think.
    Decided that I must declutter as they place is awash with stuff so been listing a little on the bay & making piles of stuff for the charity shop or the bin - little piles as I'm finding it quite hard to not be a horder - don't want to let go.........but I really must get some room cleared before I end up under a pile of it.
    Visited neighbour down at the old folks home & felt quite depressed afterwards as she likes talking about illnesses and who has them. Thing is she springs out of her chair no bother at all whereas we are having to heave ourselves up all creaking & groaning. She does look better for being in there - much healthier & less worried looking. I'm less worried than I was as she was an accident waiting to happen.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    I haven't had a Choille fire as it's horizonal rain here for days now.
    I've had one for you! :D It was glorious here today, and I really resented spending it being smoked like a kipper, but it was the last chance for some time to burn the road hedge clearance stuff. Being by the road, I can't risk having the smoke reducing visibility for drivers, especially the 97 year-olds. ;)

So that's about half this year's section cleared. Now to do the other half and make another pile....

Not much going on. DW's away sorting out wedding stuff and I'm trying to keep the cats under control alone....and it's not working, hence my appearance here at silly in the morning!:rotfl:
  • choille
    Options
    Thanks Dave.

Well the snow hit the other day - big fat flakes curtailing us somewhat. It's a glorious day today with the sun visible -:beer:
    It was too grey to see anything this week other than the end of the decking.

What a difference it makes when the sun comes back over the ridge. I feel it harder each year although it hasn't been too grim a Winter so far - although very wet recently with the water running off the hills in torrents.

We have to take collie wobble over to the vets as he seems to be having a bit of bother with his back end - sorry, too much detail. I feel embarrassed when I take him there as he is so vocal & naughty. Well, just being his usual self really:o.

I hope the roads are clear.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2019 at 6:31PM
    Options
    I need to get out into the weedpatch this weekend - I've completely neglected it and the rambling rose needs drastic surgery before it springs back into life, as does the Pyracantha, as I haven't touched the new growth poking out towards me. The branches were groaning with berries a couple of months ago, but the bird population appears to have almost stripped it already; the more I take out the stuff going sideways, the more grows upwards and the more berries next year [strike]and the nastier prospect it is for any would be intruder[/strike]. So it's got to be done whilst I can still get through the branches with my rubbish pruning saw.

Mind you, after the last two and a half days - we had one of those Visits, Dave (and probably not a good one, going by the look of SLT's faces, never mind the pale, dark eyed resigned looks of other staff) - I might never move freely again.

Could do with a nice burn up to free up space in the burner for the chopping, though. Hopefully it'll be crisp and cold all weekend to make it possible.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Mind you, after the last two and a half days - we had one of those Visits, Dave (and probably not a good one, going by the look of SLT's faces, never mind the pale, dark eyed resigned looks of other staff) - I might never move freely again.

They're but a dim and distant memory.....:D Not too bad, mind, except that every time I hear 'Lifted' by The Lighthouse Family, I'm back there in the hall, doing assembly. :undecided The Head thought it was appropriate. My music was banned that week....well, most weeks really. :o

By the second time round, I'd retired, but I was still kicking around, doing supply. When the inspector slipped-in, settled at the back of the room and began to sort his notes, it gave me immense pleasure to announce:
    "Ahem..I'm just the supply. I think you may be looking for the class next door." :p
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hiya peeps

well what can I say except ive been a miserable old boot all week :o

BUT mum is much better , she had a check up at the hosp yesterday and her vision is now ok ,:)

poor LORI got taken away on Tuesday and the collection man knows I will just bawl my eyes out and he tries to make it as dignified as possible... no nearer knowing what happened and never will so we just tell ourselves it was quick and he was a spoilt bumpkin during his life :A

29lbpxt.jpg

hes young here , tad plumper after !

ive been on a selling spree ! got 3 saucepan.a casserole , fry pan in le cruseat thingt for £15 at tip. stuck it in dishwasher and got £50 that evening for them .. bought a boat shaped shelf thing for £3 , painted it and got £20 , 'orrible black chandelier thing [huge] for £5 and sold for £20. so slowly recuperating from vet bills depleting the old coffers

had more hay delivered this week as the little [and big] bu**rs demolished the stack I had done :eek: the wind took the canvas half off it [pre xmas] and they pulled the rest off ! hence hay got pulled out and scattered around and trodden into the mud !!

my car passed its MOT today :j:j just wiper blades ....
    I bet they wore face masks to be in it ... it stinks of dogs !

anyway im in a better mood now and the weather was glorious sunshine today albeit very cold ....we seem to have hovered between 2d and 10d here.

stay safe y'all xx
  • choille
    Options
    Sorry about Lori Alfie.

Good news about your Mum. And about the pans & things.

Still snow around but no more falls of the stuff. Bitterly cold & off to see a cleint - well OH is I'm being dropped at the beach with collie wobble who disgraced himself at the vets a bit but he's fine. I'm not:o but I will come out of hiding soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback