We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks choille, without being too specific, it's Argyll & Bute :D
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear about the tree/fence, Dave!! :eek:
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    MORNING OR RATHER AFTERNOON ALL

pleased the move is a happy one PP..

oooer re the tree but come on peeps its happened to us all ...yes ? it did me, I pulled the rope too soon and it sort of went like a 5th century catapult ....in the opposite direction... my dad ran like a whippet !!! :eek:

well I looked out this morning and decided today was the day .....to MOW ... and I did :D
    I raked up all the leaves on the paths and patios and stacked a bonfire .. then I pruned all my roses and climbers and stacked that too ... then checked wind direction [washed my hair last night ] and lit the bonny .......... YEP wind changed direction and I now stink to high heaven ... so I thought in for a penny in for a pound ! chucked on a chest of drawers that was hideous [quite satisfying seeing it disappear in flames :rotfl:] and various other bits :D

I have just sat down after 5 hours out there but its very nice to look out and see a difference

spent 2 hours with friends granddaughter teaching her to ride STORM [big white cob] he is trained parelli style so no BIT and commands are all on the leg or reins.
    now this sweet girl [nearly 9] goes to a "posh" school and they have riding lessons there BUT it seems ponies are ready tacked up, 20 minutes in a ring and bye bye !
    SO we started with putting the tack on , then sitting in the saddle with NO stirrups and off we go ... showing her to use her legs and hands with no pulling or pushing ... she loved it and her mother was pleased . so looks like I have a pupil :D

mum has settled back now, it really took a lot out of her [the travelling]

well bath and hair wash [again] beckons ...then I had better eat !

anyone ever in my nick of the woods , let me know , do a grand b&b or even a cuppa :D

HAPPY 2019
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    Thanks choille, without being too specific, it's Argyll & Bute :D

Lovely part of the country without being too remote.

Oh dear with the tree Dave. Hope the fence is easily & cheaply fixed.

Alfie - You have been busy since your escapades abroad - well sort of abroad.
    You should teach horse riding for some extra bucks Or exchange for them mucking out the stables. I think people do get all that done free as little girls just love being around horses.

Been for a walk around the community wood. It's raw cold here. Someone up the mountain opposite heading down in the dark with a torch - rather them than me.

Neighbour asking for things from house as she is in the home now full time. Just been in and the mice have been busy & the place is a bit run down looking. There 's stuff all over the place - it's a shame.

Right - must get a move on & get some dinner on.
    Glad to be rid of last year in a way. It was a tricky one for us.
  • Chesapeake
    Options
    Evening... I'm back again :-D

Argyll & Bute is lovely but a bit on the wet side, I'm loving being on the East Coast (Fife) but I've been looking at farms for sale in Aberdeenshire and the Highlands... with a bit of luck farm prices will slump even more after Brexit and I'll be able to snaffle a bargain.

Glad you're all keeping ok, me and the other half have been getting all giddy about our plans for 2019 but the biggest challenge will be not slipping back into our old lazy ways.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Argyle and Bute is my favourite.....As choille says, quiet enough without being too quiet. Ages since we were there! As I recall, last time we went, DW got pregnant. Perhaps we could risk it again now!!:rotfl:

Fence is mostly OK. I've had to drop all the road hedge trees I'm not keeping straight over the fence into the field, so I've learned a few tricks: like leaving the branches on the fall side to cushion it. In the case of this big tree, I cut it 1m from the ground, so it bridged over the fence....mostly. In the end, when I'd exhumed it, there wasn't much damage, just barbed wire that needs taking off and re-stretching. :D
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    choille .... I think I teach gypsy style ! I laughed and told girls mum that the posh instructor at the school will say "where did you learn THAT miss ".... :o :rotfl::rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well peeps ..... my plans went poop !

yesterday I drove 70 miles to fetch a rescue dog for me to foster ... a saint Bernard ..
    he had been left in kennels in September and the owner never came back and went abroad.. he has been there since .
    SO off I toddled and he came out led by staff. he was beautifull, I spoke to him and then he launched at me and clamped on my leg !!! he let go but I was a tad stunned to say the least .. the staff didn't seem as surprised as I thought they would be .... they said he can be a bit funny with strangers !!! if that's a BIT funny id hate to see TOTALLY FUNNY !!!
    sadly I declined taking him ... had to use my head not my heart ..
    I think his kennel has become his territory and he was guarding the staff .. no way could we have safely rehomed him. just wished they had got in touch with the rescue much earlier and he may have had a chance ...
    luckily I had a long sheepskin coat on and that prevented serious damage . one tooth did go through the coat and get me in the thigh and the bruise is a'starting but ive had worse so no problem

so peeps ... no dog here ....
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds awful Alfie. Poor pooch. I've let my son have the youngest dog for a couple of days as she's still having a few issues with the woolly beasts. If that doesn't work she's on the lead.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alfie - not good at all given their size. I think you are wise not taking him.

What a shame but maybe why he was left at the kennels?

Lucielle - we can't let collie wobble off the lead near the sheep as he just tries to drive them. I wouldn't trust him with them. He is so excitable I don't trust him with the hens even.

A good day here after yesterday's really cold weather - although a friend went for a swim! I don't get that at all.

Nice beach walk & the world's 3rd biggest oil rig off shore - it looked really odd to see it here. We wondered if it is heading up to Shetland as I think they found more oil there.
    Loads of twitchers about - there was a great Northern Diver or summat sounding name-wise like that - or so we got told. So it's all happening here folks;);)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback