We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 December 2018 at 9:54AM
    Options
    Well, here it is... Happy :xmastree:Christmas everybody!

No bulletin from alfie :undecided, so either things have improved immensely, or they've gone further downhill... Look out for the sprouts!!!:eek:

Just checked the weather: it looks as if we in the West Country have the best of it temperature-wise, though choille may have the best sunshine, even if it is indirect. Edit: No, BBC has it wrong....Dafty will probably have the best sunshine, if the fog lifts. :)

Jojo, our elderly friend does the Boxing Day thing every year. She has family & plenty friends here. Of course, we might be handy to keep the conversation going....but who knows? It might be a right knees-up, though admittedly more likely to be a comparison of knee operations.;)
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :xmassign:Mild as anything here - Happy Christmas everyone - I do hope that 2019 is the year that all our dreams are reaching fruition or at least getting nearer.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    merry xmas peeps and all animogs

well , what can I say :o
    I have listened to someone crooning between meals hidden round various corners [when I thought id sneek to a quiet corner ....there he was !] roaming around telling jokes and mentioning how he sang in a band MANY years ago that half the population here MUST have heard of ... I hadn't !
    country and western , beach boy'esk warbling doesn't do it for me im afraid..... im an ungratefull so and so...;)

it seems to be a compulsion of the majority of guests to see how much they can scoff at breakfast , dither around toe tapping to the mystery singer for a couple of hours only to repeat the challenge at lunch time and then .... guess what ? ... yep more toe tapping and then evening dinner... the que starts in the hall outside the dining room a bit like queing to get into an air raid shelter on the sound of the siren...

manager here was telling me that one poor chap who doesn't speak a word of English , who doesn't want to even be here has been dropped into this madness by the ferry company who pulled the last sailing back to france at the weekend upon which this chap thought he would be having only come to jersey for the DAY :eek: he has entirely missed xmas with his family !! no ferries until at least the 27th .... poor man has had to pay out for his stay and the ferry will pay him back ... he was skint and looked so sad [I gave him £20 to go get himself a drink ;) ]

it is very built up and almost derelict in places here on my escape walks.. maybe because of the weather [dull, drizzly,foggy etc] that it doesn't do it justice ...

tomorrow is a round the island coach trip we are going on ... takes 3 hours and that includes a stop off somewhere for a coffee ... im hoping the mists/fog has lifted by then as im still not convinced im in jersey as ive seen nothing to convince me so far !! :rotfl:

well apparently YOUR weather is better than ours so enjoy and make the most of it :D

and I truly wish you all a fattening remainder of xmas and a happy and healthy new year xxx
  • potplant
    Options
    Best wishes all! Christmas started rather late for us, family member in hospital for several days after a fall and bad bang on the head at the weekend. So a lot of hospital stuff, and Christmas was sidelined, till hospital discharge yesterday afternoon and Christmas supper last night. Patient (now, thankfully, ex-patient) still needs a close eye kept on them but normality should slowly resume in the next few days/weeks. And the sun is out!
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear that potplant.
    Alfie, sounds like you’re having an adventure but maybe not one you would want to be having lol
    Back to work for me today. I thought the commute would be really easy but not on the way home, an accident on the m42 so I went the road way instead. So took longer than usual! Work was quiet though so I managed to get a few bits done I’ve needed to finish for a while.
  • Davesnave
    edited 27 December 2018 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Good to know no lasting harm was done, potplant. :j

The sun has certainly been shining here, so it was probably fortuitous that yesterday's Boxing Day interlude with the old folk involved no alcohol whatever.:( :undecided Sans hangover, I was able to make the best of this glorious day, weeding, laying some concrete foundations and cutting out an annoying 20' hawthorn that's been growing into one of the old oak trees for many years.

I'd just returned to the yard with a barrow-load of hawthorn trunks, when Pete arrived with hay and a lick for the sheep, so they belatedly received their Christmas supper too. :D

Now, with the fog descending again on Southern England, the question is whether alfie will be able to escape from Jersey on schedule....... Goodness, if there's no wind, she could be trapped there with her crooner pal until New Year! :eek:
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Now, with the fog descending again on Southern England, the question is whether alfie will be able to escape from Jersey on schedule....... Goodness, if there's no wind, she could be trapped there with her crooner pal until New Year! :eek:

you might well go :eek: dave !
    I was :eek::eek::eek: when the pilot announced he wanted us all to get a shift on , sit down, buckle up because he needed to beat the FOG ... if he couldn't then we were expected to land in Exeter or Birmingham !!
    we set off at a pace up the run way and I swear he did a wheel spin ! we had to circle three times over southanpton as there was a que !! and the fog was descending so it was a relief when he actually landed ...

all in all my mum enjoyed it ...BUT I have assured her I will not be doing it again ... an "eatathon" for 90 hours is not me !
    am i ungratefull ? probably !

also apparently bimble has been dispatched to friends daughters house due to him disgracing himself by antagonising friends cats ?? hes a bug*ar :( I haven't heard the details yet but in just hoping he hasn't eaten their new kittens ....:eek: I will find out tomorrow when I pick them all up :o[I am worried about bimble as he has been very aggy lately and im wondering if he is in pain somewhere ]

anyway im hoping you have all had a splendid time and you are all well xx
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm back planting trees galore! I got 50 hazel and a similar number of willow, black poplar, and small-leaved lime in today (new coppice wood, bordering an old one), and have a very sore wrist. Only another 300 to go now...

Quiet Christmas with the animals, and another week before real work. I head to the overseas lab to explain where we are, re. Brexit next week. So that'll be simple... I am a minor cog on a wheel, thank crab, and only have responsibility for paperclip distribution and pencil sharpeners... Some colleagues are developing their ten year plan for cancer research, or other minor matters, and have bu99er-all idea where we in the Uk will be in three months... which is just brilliant!

Oh well, glad I'm on the downward slope, and not young. If I were, I would have jumped ship by now.

Enough ranting. Apologies. I shall go and cuddle a goat, and calm down!

Happy Christmas everyone, and here's to a simple, cheery, wonderful New Year to all, muddy or otherwise. :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I'm back planting trees galore! I got 50 hazel and a similar number of willow, black poplar, and small-leaved lime in today (new coppice wood, bordering an old one), and have a very sore wrist. Only another 300 to go now...
    I'm still a long way from being ready to plant into the next section of road hedge I've started on, but I'm not bothered. I've learned that some of the bare root nurseries do 2 for1 towards the end of the season, but sometimes as early as February. ;)

The new Makita mains-powered chain saw is so much better than the old Screwfix jobbie that died; I get through many more log lengths per hour in the yard.... and it's a little quieter too. :D

Not much to report in this 'between' week. The Panto Christmas tree DW and others worked very hard on for the Festival in the church, 'fell over' during the Christingle, so it was only in it's full glory for a few hours.:(

It was repaired just after Boxing Day, but it's anyone's guess how it stands (or falls!) at present. We'd made the decorations into a competition which we hoped would generate interest and maybe a few volunteers, but I'm not holding my breath.....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback