»

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.1K replies 809.1K views

Replies

• edited 8 October 2014 at 2:28PM
    I_have_spokenI_have_spoken PPR
    5.1K posts
    edited 8 October 2014 at 2:28PM
    All that's being proposed now is an extended run of pipe into the virgin rocks further along.

Won't you need a proper leach field?

work-example-4~~element32.jpg

Off work today with man-flu, so thought I'd start planning next year's borders Christo style.

WP_20141008_14_18_40_Pro_zpsa080af99.jpg
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alfie you picked the best day yesterday, to do a surprise visit.. it was absolutely 'hissing' it down for a few hours earlier, loads of thunder too!!!

cleared up a bit now.. home at mo to have a quick bath. and to have a cuddle with our cats, and then back up the ranch..

catch up with you all laters...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm, I'd always imagined you were on chalk down your way, but you learn something every day ;). We are clay here too, good if you want to make pots or come home with half the field on your wellies!! Is Plan B going to be expensive and do you have any idea how long Plan A will last?

Chalk? In Devon? Well, maybe around Lyme Bay, but over yer we're Sandstone. And the clay is well down, not in the soil, so we don't have the wellie boot problem.

Plan B will be a proper bio-digestor system, so not cheap, but desirable longer term.

Plan A is a pig-in-a-poke, but we really have little option, as the village expert has been involved, so we can't now tell him he's fired without earning local opprobrium. Besides, we're a bit committed elsewhere right now! :(

Yes, there should be a leach field, and yes, it's probably illegal. The locals still do it like this because they can. :o
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I was not referring to legality here davesnave, purposely.

All it takes is a disgruntled mr woof to call the buildings regs.....

The locals cannot do it, unless they are breaking the rules. Which, in wet sw have environmental consequences when things go wrong quicker than else where.
  • I've had a couple of productive days. Yesterday the Pekin bantam boys went, leaving the Pekin female, the Sabelpoot boy and the home hatched probable boy. Then we moved the chicken runs to a fresh part of the garden. The main flock still seem to be ignoring the ex-broody, so there are no large concerns there, and she has separate food and water inside the house if they chase her indoors. She's quite wary of them still but seems fine in herself.

I've been outbid again on a local house and run, so have ordered a new one which will be here next week

And today I have sat and hand sewed. I'm doing a sheepskin throw / bedspread, and it's small pieces so is patchwork. I seem to have an odd way of pushing the needle through and have a sore patch on the side of my middle finger. I suppose I need a metal tube to protect it really... do tubular thimbles exist?
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    That looks like a great book I have spoken, will you give a review? :)
    31.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was not referring to legality here davesnave, purposely.

All it takes is a disgruntled mr woof to call the buildings regs.....

The locals cannot do it, unless they are breaking the rules. Which, in wet sw have environmental consequences when things go wrong quicker than else where.

Errr....Mr Woof has the same surname as Mr Rod, and it's not just a coincidence! :rotfl:

And Mr Woof has probably the worst-offending system of all, but that is being saved for the future. ;)

Wheels within wheels. I think there may be links to Mrs Landlady too, but I'll need an audience with the Oracle first.

This isn't a new system, just an extension of an existing one, which has been here in various forms since 1974. After a great deal of tracing and a little supposition, I'm of the opinion that the original went, very inconveniently, right into our chicken orchard, where it certainly can't go now. Lord, the pigs were in that area eight years ago! :eek:

I've ensured that route has been closed-off. Whether it will result in any improvement in winter remains to be seen. Personally I doubt it, as we have worse conditions beyond there, where no system has ever gone.

Backalong, legend has it, the Gods from EA dipped their golden chalice in the stream and pronounced it unclean. They fell among the people hereabouts with great wrath, examined their 'facilities' and demanded some be wrought anew. Ours wasn't one of them. :A

Undoubtedly this happened, but I don't know when 'backalong' was.

Yes, it could happen again. I might even help it to happen, just not now! :(
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Backalong, legend has it, the Gods from EA dipped their golden chalice in the stream and pronounced it unclean. They fell among the people hereabouts with great wrath, examined their 'facilities' and demanded some be wrought anew. Ours wasn't one of them. :A

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oeerr you drama queen :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry it is causing you so much grief though, especially when you are 'roof free' in parts.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
    31.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other news, we've all taken this blustery changeable day off from roofing and attended to a few other matters which were in danger of slipping.

Firstly, Izzy & Lila went over to the vet to be 'done.' None too soon, as I'd noticed a very odd looking male cat hanging around. :eek:

When we went back to pick them up tonight, the vet just kept repeating how good they'd been. Well, of course:D.... but part of it is in the genes, and we gave their Mum a very good look-over before committing. Mind you, no one knows who Dad was. :huh:

I also managed to do a good deal over the phone regarding 'wire' that came into our possession six months ago, together with some lead from our roof. ;) It was all very furtive, with things being bundled rapidly out of the van into dumpy bags, but the paperwork, albeit delightfully vague, was provided and no cash changed hands.:A

Just about paid for the kittens! :rotfl:

Didn't come close to paying for the steel beam, but I offloaded a cheque for that too. I was 22 miles from home, but the man in the office smiled and said, "I cycled past your place at the weekend and wondered if it was where that girder had gone." Not much escapes folk around here! :rotfl:

While out in the van, I called in at another recycling facility I'd not visited before to offload some plasterboard that wouldn't fit in the Hippobag. The gentleman there was very helpful and bad at estimating. It was by far the cheapest way to get rid of the horrible stuff. :D

IHS , I think my DW is a Christopher Lloyd type of gardener and she certainly achieves successional flowering. The late ones are just opening now, such as nerines, aster 'Purple Dome,' and the one I can't spell, schizostylus.
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Net ones are what I call bare naked ladies and you told me aren't davesnave, but I cannot remember what are bare naked ladies really.

I'm nearing the end of my bare naked season. I tripped out to chook in boots and a jacket and nowt else this morning and it were a bit nippy like.

I haven't protected my new French lavenders. I'm terrified to lose the green one, I love that thing.