Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 823.2K views

Replies

• Yes, we have chickens. I'd rather give them more space than they have, especially as we have reintroduced the ex-broody bird. But we've taken out another bird which looks to be a feather pecker and she's now in solitary, although the others can see her. We don't quite meet the Freedom Foods definition of free range which is why I wanted a 12' x 6' run for the 6 birds. They currently have 40 sq ft between five of them, plus the house space as well, so we're 20% short.

We have enough garden space for everything, it's just getting it organised so I'm happy with it and it's practical going into winter with all the different birds. It's getting best value for money extra space for them that's most important now.

It's easy to miss small problems when you only see the flock first thing in the morning and last thing at night :(
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But surely if your OH is home all day, he see's to them, and can pick up on things??

It is hard.. as you only notice things as they happen... and you do need to be realistic with stock..
    can you ask on freecycle for wood and mesh? I have seen some great runs made with plastic green mesh.. a bit like the mesh/netting you use to put over fruit etc.. but a bit more stronger.. could you find any of that cheaper??

or would something like this be easier quicker?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHICKEN-RUN-2M-X-3M-WALK-IN-COOP-FOR-POULTRY-DOG-RABBIT-HEN-CAGE-PEN-METAL-DOOR-/151388744151?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item233f78e9d7

you can buy them in diff sizes..

maybe you could flog stuff on the bay, and use that money to buy one, so its not using your savings money..

just a thought..

Hubby likes these..at the mo we only have a handful of chooks, which roam around the holding.. if we ever get any probs with people's dogs or wildlife harassing them, then I might get one.

by the way there are diff sellers of these on the bay,
    Work to live= not live to work
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    piddling down here :eek: winds are a blowin :eek: its cold :eek: so happy days !:D i hope everyones roofs stay on :o ALEX... can yo not just section off part of the garden , i thought from previous pics your garden was walled ? could you not give them the end bit so just a front and roof needed ? may save you some £s. CTC ... i hope you are feeling a bit better ? LIR... your like me :cool: does something that we just KNOW is gonna bush us but "it has to be done"..... ;) take care !
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    feeling like carp Alfie, but just cant put my finger on whats wrong... just feeling drained. not bothering going into work... ( that always makes me feel ill anyway lol) might go to the shop and buy some comfort food.. lol
    Work to live= not live to work
  • BabafetteBabafette Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭
    Quote from builder just arrived and has knocked us for six - much more than we were expecting. :(
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I have a moan too? I'm also feeling poo, but after a night emptying buckets every 20mins, and another one waiting for the storm that never quite came, I'm not sure that it isn't just 'normal' fatigue. :o

There again, I started some pills last Friday, which have a side effect of making 1:10 people feel 'weak.' I hope they aren't the cause, because they're pretty good otherwise....:cool:

I'm just sitting here procrastinating, as I have to go and dig yet another hole this afternoon, and there's no excuse in the glorious sunshine we're having. I kid you not, alfie, for once we have it better than you! :p:p
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
    33K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babafette wrote: »
    Quote from builder just arrived and has knocked us for six - much more than we were expecting. :(

Oh dear! :(

Are you having more than one builder to quote? We've had quite a few quotes for different things, and often they're miles apart.
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • Oh dear, turning into a 'bad dream' rather than 'daydream' thread today.

In Dave's inimitable manner I'm feeling poo too :( Hope things pick up for you all tomorrow and the rain dodges your 'roof' Dave.

Relatives have gone, but I'm exhausted and its cold and wet. So I have turned the heating up, put on the woodburner, and am cuddled up under a duvet with a kitty and some McVities double choc digestives biskwits.

Yesterday was glorious though - sunny and warm.

Vet rang about old dogs blood test. I said - 'I hope the expensive renal diet is having an effect and her kidney enzymes are improved' 'Oh no' he replied they're more elevated, but keep her on it as it would be even worse without the special diet :(. Plus she is now borderline anemic, but apparently easily fixed with some B12 tablets from Amazon or the like. Liver function also marginally worse. :(Blood test again in 3 months. At least we have a good baseline to work from as we have been blood testing quarterly for a year now.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • BabafetteBabafette Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear a few of you are feeling a bit poo! Big hugs all round. I hope you manage to get a better night's kip tonight Dave.
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Are you having more than one builder to quote? We've had quite a few quotes for different things, and often they're miles apart.
    That was the idea, but we're finding tradesmen who can do everything we require rather hard to come by. To be honest I think OH was perhaps being wildly optimistic with his estimates! :o
    So I have turned the heating up, put on the woodburner, and am cuddled up under a duvet with a kitty and some McVities double choc digestives biskwits.
    That sounds like a plan! :)

Had another afternoon of stripping wallpaper today. OH has hacked off the remaining bathroom tiles so we just have the hall and a small area of bathroom wallpaper to strip and then we can start painting. The new kitchen is being delivered on Wednesday and the bathroom has been ordered.
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
    33K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babafette wrote: »
    we're finding tradesmen who can do everything we require rather hard to come by. To be honest I think OH was perhaps being wildly optimistic with his estimates! :o

With renovations, and living in the country, who you know is pretty important. ;) Without our farmer friend, Pete, with whom we have some reciprocal arrangements, running this smallholding would be expensive.

Similarly with the building; we're now just about on the radar of the local building supplies firm, who give us 15% off. Many would be pleased with that, but our tradesman gets 45% on wood and about 30% heavy side. Delivery for him is free, and it can be for us too, but we have to wait then till the cost can be loaded onto someone else! :rotfl:

Builders here please themselves about which jobs they take on, knowing that they have plenty of local custom. The larger firms will come from towns over 20 miles way, but they will have 80 minutes unproductive travelling time to factor-into their quotes. :(
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg