Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 1057

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 825.5K views

Replies

• Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    921 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone's tooth issues get resolved soon. Skip reading so just realised that Maggie & Dave have had their treatments - hope things feel easier soon both of you.
    Done nowt here as it's been lashing down in the main. Seems slightly milder - snow on the tops the other day but just drizzle now.
    Have a zoom thing with a surgeon later on today to chat about my op so that will be interesting. I'm scared.

• ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your surgeon chat. Sending The Vibes and cyber hugs. (((Ted)))  B)

I'm back to the dentist on Friday. Last Friday's gap is a lot less painful than the first one was, it was 3 weeks before I could clean that quadrant of my teeth at all.  But have managed yesterday and today to have cleaned the latest stuff. Still eating mainly mush, but might try some gently fried sliced spuds with chicken for lunch today.

We had ground frost yesterday, but OH managed to find some nasturtiums at the lottie to bring home to me. As well as a lovely rose from our back garden.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpool-leftovers/50636808343/in/datetaken/
  • edited 24 November 2020 at 7:10PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 November 2020 at 7:10PM
    Hope the Zoom chat reassured you, Ted. Medics are often much more approachable nowadays and give you the option of deciding things for yourself more, which is both good and bad! On the whole though, I think it's better than being told what's good for us.
    Glad to hear your treatment is benefiting you, maggie. :) At present, mine's OK , but I know I still run the risk of infection and/or stuff going wrong before she gets to Part 2 near Christmas. It's a blooming long process... :(
    We're having a Zoom thingy here tomorrow about saving the local pub. I'm not sure if either of us will be much help, as we don't really do pubs much nowadays. Personally, a good fish & chippy in the wee town would do me and save a 26 mile round trip.... and if it was licenced and dis a good Indian on the side, even better! Think out of the box! :D
    Went for quite a long, strenuous walk today with an old friend who doesn't act old. Just made it back before the weather closed in, fell asleep for an hour and woke up in the dark....It was half past four! :o
    Just spotted your rose maggie. Lovely! We have lots of plants here that don't know the time of year, but have a feeling they'll get a shock soon!
    Patron to The Warning
    "No country has ever improved the health of its citizens by making them poorer." John Lee - Professor of Pathology. UK.
    921 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful rose Maggie.

Consultant zoom thing without video & a couple of hitches went okayish but I have the choice of going in next week. That threw me completely. So will get phoned again Friday. It's a bigger op that I thought initially - it's all scary stuff. 

Glad the tooth is on mend Maggie - it will be good when you're back on solids - so to speak. 

The weather is still nasty here & cooler again. It's Winter I suppose.
    921 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Dave - Hope stage 2 dental goes well when it comes.

Good for you going for a good walk. I miss those hikes with the dog. We have an elderly friend in his 80s who is doing all the munros to raise money for Alzheimer's charity as his wife has succumbed to that and it is so sad and sudden but boy is he game.
    I doubt I could keep up with him. 

Must try and get a bit fitter again.
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Wishing you all the best Ted, at least next week isn't long to wait if that is what you decide. And well done to your friend for raising money for Alzheimer's. My mum has come to live with me because she has it. Three years now and another year before that when she was at her sisters and we were all chasing about. I really miss being able to go for a proper long walk. She has to come too and although willing she can only manage proper footpaths. Covid has taken its toll on her walking, we go for a 30 - 40 minute walk every day but her health misses the many hours mooching round shops/gardens centres/open gardens/etc which added many hours onto her step count. 

Thank you to whoever gave me instructions. I shall try to add a photo of my Brussels and kale. 
    Love living in a village in the country side
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Opps - next lesson, how to make my photos smaller :confused:
    921 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing veg IMW - your garden look wonderful. Mine was a disaster really. Should be growing rice.
    I've decided against the next week op as it's too near. I'll wait until Spring. 

That's hard going looking after your Mum with Alzheimer's. It can't be easy especially in the Winter when we are stuck indoors most of the day.

Saw a moonbow this evening - that's only the 2nd time I've seen one. And it didn't last very long but quite special.

1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of a moonbow. They look impressive.

I had time this year to do things properly. Putting secure netting on the brassicas as soon as I planted them rather than after a few weeks and putting fleece around the carrots as soon as I planted the seeds rather than never getting round to it has really worked. I know doing it properly  works but somehow I rarely get round to it, just chucking a bit of old fleece or netting over the top does not work! 

Damp, cold and drizzle for most of the day here so it was a good day to sort out and store the seven dahlias I grew from seed which the slugs didn't eat. Sometimes I leave them in the ground but chickened out this year. All drying ready to be stored away.

Inside I potted up 9 streptocarpus grown from cuttings. Mum helped me so she felt useful. The only house plants I manage to keep
    921 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Drizzle here too then very thick drizzle - soaks you through. Went for a run out to nosy at a woodland being felled. It's quite a big area and will be replanted I suppose. The trees are all pine and are all needing to come down as they are at the end of their lives and are ending up on the road. Managed to track down a number for someone who does drain materials so will hopefully get some armco sourced for across the track as it's getting washed down onto the gravel and don't want to lay anymore chips until it's been sorted out.
    Quite a few branches down so had a little while gathering and snapping them into two boxes for kindling. I find that the most pleasant and meditative job there is. I love doing that bestest. Joint bestest is having fires. Banana boxes are good for that. I said to the young chap in LIDLs when he asked why I was always taking them - You can set fire to anything with these you know. So, he now has me down as an arsonist no doubt.
    But alas you can't get them to burn wet clippings - so I've not managed to have a bonfire for a couple of weeks.