edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 826.6K views

Replies

• in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Ted_Head said:
    You put me to shame IMW - as you do seem very organised.
    Me organised -  :/  no! But I like to keep busy

I hate having to buy eggs so will see if there any local ones as they all seem much tastier than shop bought.

I take cuttings at this time - lost all of mine in the gale that wrecked the poly-house but I am sticking stuff on a windowsill & if it doesn't go it hasn't cost owt.
    On your recommendation I've made cuttings from 9 plants today.  Lavender, penstemon and salvias.  I hope you replacements work. As you say, no loss if they don't work. I keep them in the greenhouse which is lined with polystyrene boxes which fish is delivered in
    I just heard on the news that a man was arrested outside school for pointing a gun at students. Bit too close for comfort. Pleased I didn't venture far today, just mucked about here and at the allotment - I'm good at doing that. 
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • edited 13 November 2020 at 2:04PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 November 2020 at 2:04PM
    Ted_Head said:
    don't get me started about vaccines. They're not coming anywhere near me with one of those rushed through cocktails of goodness knows what. They can stick their needles up their arris.
    I've just worked out it's all a conspiracy. That Prof Van-Tam who's waxing lyrical about the new vaccine today is none other than Colin Powell, US Secretary of State during at the time of 9/11. He's obviously receiving special rejuvenation treatment from his alien masters on the planet Zog.
    Covid-19 vaccine Prof Van-Tam says he would take the vaccine - BBC NewsFileColin Powell official Secretary of State photojpg
    OK I admit the ties are different......and maybe I've had a fair amount of medicine today! :D
    Hope the visit to Inverness went OK. :)

Patron to The Warning
    Join the dots. Most people still aren't seeing it.
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    938 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    He does look like Colin Powell.

I am to have elective surgery in the Spring. It's all a bit of a having to get my head around stuff.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds much better than when they tell you not to Google it, Ted. I know it may be about pros and cons....and deciding. FiL has chosen to have his hernia done, but it might just cause something else to be worse.
    My current situation's like that on a milder scale. I could buy a temporary filling kit, stuff it in and it would be maybe be fine. On the other hand, if I trap stuff in there with a home-inserted filling, it might go bad very fast. So, I've opted to keep it clean, yell and curse periodically and then, later in the day, just hit the whisky!  >:) It's only another week..... but I'm getting nothing done. :(

Yesterday, DW drove us to Rosemoor and we had a couple of hours R&R. I took along a wee dram or three and it was all gone by the time we came out! Lovely autumn colours and the evergreens are coming into their own:
    Patron to The Warning
  • in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful picture Dave, I do miss Rosemoor on the doorstep.  

My hens are showing their age but seem happy to be fed and watered and wander in the orchard.  I shall have to get organised (or brave) and start up the incubator. 

This week I've been cutting back a very wide privet hedge on the far end of my allotment. Not pretty but it's gained me over half a meter and means mum can get to the leaf storage basket without getting soaked. She likes collecting leaves 

I have a very large perfectly formed green aubergine. I have it in the window but it will not ripen - any ideas? Like putting a banana in with green tomatoes? All the others ripened perfectly.  
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    938 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Whisky is about the best option Dave albeit I did know someone who used superglue but I think you'd be best getting a friend to assist as it would need to be precise. :/

Gloom and doom weather here - low cloud, miserable and damp - dreich. If you can say dreich after your preferred temporary dental medicine Dave , you need to up the dose.

I have unripe peppers in the porch still on the plant - I doubt they'll ripen either - don't know what to suggest IMW.
    33.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted_Head said:
    Whisky is about the best option Dave albeit I did know someone who used superglue but I think you'd be best getting a friend to assist as it would need to be precise. :/
    I don't think my dentist would trust me again if I superglued the hole! :o With the weekend coming up and the chance it would go septic, she prescribed antibiotics: "Because I know you'll be sensible and only take them if it's really necessary."
    It hasn't been necessary and the pains are a good sign there's still some life there. Only 2 days to go now! I've never looked forward to a dental appt before.... :#
    Right now, the tree guys (there's 4 but the main one's Irish :D ) are cutting down the unpopular poplars here.... :)
    Patron to The Warning
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely picture Dave, I've always want to go to Rosemoor but we never seems to have had time when I've been in Deben. Not sure when I might get back.

Also had a tooth problem; filling came out just as we went into lockdown and then cracked. Fortunately no pain as I was unable to find a dentist afterwards who was prepared to do fillings rather than extractions. Don't know if it can be saved but want to try.

Have been harvesting late apples and getting them to foodbanks. But now the mice have found them. Going to move them when the rain stops.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    33.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoo, I'm tired! :|  The poplars are no more; at least not as trees, but in a form that will make them useful instead of a liability. For the last 9 years or so they've just been allowed to grow unchecked, so apart from throwing up suckers and cracking the road, they were stealing late afternoon sunshine from the polytunnel.
    This was around 09.00 this morning. I'll take another photo tomorrow, so you can spot the difference! :)
    Patron to The Warning
  • ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you have toothie probs too Dave. I'm back to dentist on Friday for top right wisdom tooth to come out. I'm rather shaking in my shoes! Though I do have to say I have confidence in my Dentist - he's done his homework on ME/CFS and always gives me the recommended anaesthetic, which is without adrenaline. Tooth out last time he warned me that he had to give me  a shot with adrenaline last thing after the usual shot. While he really is a star, I'm still dreading it.

I'm only just beginning to be able to eat anything other than slush after last extraction. We've got a couple of steaks in the freezer that I'm dying to eat, but suspect not up to them yet... Come Friday I will be back to slush again. Then a week later some reconstruction (? eek) needs doing. I live in hope will be able to possibly eat some chicken breast on Christmas Day, I won't be up to the pigs in blankets and bacon from covering the chicken breast or sausages or roast spuds. Oh well, we can always do the Christmas Dinner (which for us these last few years has only been roast chicken, but with all the trimmings) again a month later... Except that will be post Brexit so who knows what food we'll be able to get hold of then. Aaarrrggghhh!

Meantime the pak choi that OH planted in big flower pots on the side patio at home seem to be doing OK. And he's finished planting the onions at the lottie. Just have some shallots that are spring planting left to go. 

Good luck with your tooth stuff next week Dave! 

And please all of you send me some "positive vibes" at 2.00 pm on Friday!