Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 1052

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 823.2K views

Replies

• edited 16 October at 10:19PM
    in_my_welliesin_my_wellies Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16 October at 10:19PM
     Ouote - Davesnave: It's maybe not great news for wildlife, but our mini wood is maturing well next door, and to be fair, neighbour's garden has had many years of neglect and backs onto several acres of wilderness, so there's still lots of untamed habitat.  I have similar, dog walking provides a good excuse for log spotting, hitched to my dad's old wooden surf board on a rope it's surprising how many I've dragged home. I'm well stocked for winter  ;) 
    Today I planted Japanese onions and leeks - the leeks being 20p from the local nursery, too late I think but planting them made me clear and tidy another 3 square meters 

More fly tipping at the end of the lane today, I've caught several on my camera but of course there's no proof as it's over a mile from me. I hate them! I worry that I'll turn into the lane and catch them at it. Full marks to the council men who always come round the same day (they know they'll a cuppa)

This weekend I have to summon up courage to go and inspect/tidy up the boat house. How posh does that sound?? If the waters not too high. Praying for rain tonight  >:)  It comes with the house and the TA states that I have to look after it. I've only checked it once. There's even a boat and kit which I could use to go fishing - no thanks. 

Love living in a village in the country side
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
     Ouote - Davesnave: It's maybe not great news for wildlife, but our mini wood is maturing well next door, and to be fair, neighbour's garden has had many years of neglect and backs onto several acres of wilderness, so there's still lots of untamed habitat.  I have similar, dog walking provides a good excuse for log spotting, hitched to my dad's old wooden surf board on a rope it's surprising how many I've dragged home. I'm well stocked for winter  ;)
    I don't think you could dog-walk in this area. It was originally a communal space for around a dozen properties, but the steepness meant no one maintained it and the bottom part is very boggy too. I doubt if anyone has been in there in the last decade.
    So, a great habitat for many animals other than humans.
    Our/next door's hedgehogs are putting on weight fast. We weighed one we marked two weeks ago and it's put on 180g! If they all do that, they'll be fine, come November.

Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    891 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie - Hope you manage to get to see a dentist. I do like the hydrangia flowers and do cut them for inside and have got cuttings going from them too. I like the dried flower heads too. They've gotten very leggy so I should give them a fair chop but they seem to put out growth just when I want to prune them - now. And I worry that they won't flower next year.

Lost another hen yesterday - I let them out for a bit and one didn't return - we were about outside so it's something stalking around. Found a pile of feathers down in the little wood. I do blame myself.
  • ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't get the quote thing to work. I hate this new forum software!
    Did get to the Dentist, thanks Ted. Thursday afternoon. Was expecting a filling and a temp filling. Ended up having one tooth out  :o and need to have another out (a wisdom), and then another visit to have reconstruction work on another tooth. At least we had a nice chat about gardening while waiting for the anaesthetic to take effect!

Sorry to hear about your hen.

All the pak choi OH planted in back garden has got eaten down to the ground.  I imagine it'll be the same at the lottie. We brought a lot of the plants back from the caravan, but I think we'll have to put them in big pots rather than planting in the ground - at least it gives them a slight chance against the slugs!

Had a parcel of onions, garlic and shallots arrive last Friday, which will be planted at the lottie. Elephant garlic will be arriving shortly too, possibly today. 
  • edited 19 October at 10:22AM
    RASRAS Forumite
    28.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 October at 10:22AM
    Ted, sorry about the chuck. With fewer humans around and less discarded food critters are getting more desperate.  Wood pigeons, rats and squirrels here now really bold.

Got into the allotment shop as soon as they had onions and garlic. Not a great choice but incredibly cheap and no postage. Have some elephant garlic from somewhere I volunteer. Not sure how long we can keep going if we end up in tier three, but we are very careful with social distancing. For me it's the journey that's the hairy bit but when there's only 6 of us in a carriage, the  problem shouldn't be too bad, on a journey lasting 16-20 minutes.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ukmaggie45ukmaggie45 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here in Liverpool we seem to be in the hardest and nastiest Tier 3. Why can Lancashire keep their gyms open when we can't? Oh, yes, we're Liverpool and the Tories have always hated us. Sorry to be political, but it is actually true.

Glad we came home from Wales when we did now, as it'd be a nightmare packing and getting home in a rush. At least we got that over and done already! LOL. Heaven only knows when we'll be able to go back. Inclined to try sell up in Liverpool and try buy in Wales - their Gov seems better organised and working better than ours. Scotland doing OK too, but despite the Wallace surname we don't have any ties to Scotland! But I don't have the energy and capability I suspect.
    33K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going far with the politics of lockdown, other than to say I think the Swedes probably got it much more right than our inept lot. Having fibbed and not followed their own rules, is it any wonder the rest of us question their authority? They're making it up as they go along, so I will too, not that it'll make much difference here anyway! There's a kerfuffle south of us in Exeter, so the answer for old fogies like me is probably 'not going to Exeter.' We have a social bubble person 20 miles away, so I'd guess anywhere between here and there will be acceptable travel, whatever the sanctions. That'll do me. :)
    Not much new going on. I've lost so many posts recently on this new forum I can't remember what I've told anyone! :D We've just been rushing to beat the break in the weather, so the yew hedges are done, the cotoneaster at the front which is coming out eventually has been reduced by 2/3 and the rest is awaiting the coming of the man on the John Deere....Oh, and we've been tidying the barn, selling stuff from there on the Bay and I'm still  pulling out the floor in the conservatory... :'(

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understood the issue in Exeter was 80% student, Dave. Not that I'd be choosing it as a day for a jolly in the situation. Am keeping to very limited activity outside a half mile radius but sometimes need to go further. 

Pressed 2 gallons of cider yesterday, my cider apples and some windfalls that'll not keep, mainly headed for vinegar longer term.

Just lost one of the airlocks so need to replace it ASAP.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    33K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAS said:
    I understood the issue in Exeter was 80% student, Dave.
    Yes, but I'll let them off, as seeing so many bright young things usually cheers what is otherwise a pretty dire route into the city. However, most of the time I'm heading for one of the trading estates and I've a somewhat hairy back road rat-run for that. >:)

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    891 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie - Hope the tooth issues get cleared up soon. Good not to expect an extraction as doesn't allow you to dwell on it.

Any scrap of land or overpriced damp cottage around here has flown off the market at way over what they are worth. Seems that the folks from further down this infected isle feel that this is a safe place so they come with their coughs and sneezes and wads of cash. 

I shouldn't berate it as I might be glad of a fistful of dollars one day when we need to sell and live somewhere less wild and remote.

I had a lactating little virgin sheep who I had consulted the vet on and they reckoned to leave off the concentrates which I had over done before shearing as a temptation into the pen but the shearer kept cancelling so I was shovelling the stuff into them I suppose. I didn't know what to think but a week or so with nothing - even removed the lick and the poor wee things udder has gone down. Glad I didn't need to inject her with something vile from the vets. So that was good. I'll know the next time.

The place is a bog.....again. Just squelching around listening to the roar of the deer which is just audible above the noise of the burn in spate.....again. But the trees all look quite splendid all oranges and yellows and reds on some. There's mushroom everywhere but I don't trust myself to not induce a stomach pumping visit to A&E. I've got peppers coming on the plants in the porch but I doubt they'll come to much now, however they do look quite nice. The gardens been  a bit of a disaster all in all this year but heard others saying the same so I don't feel too useless - well only a bit.