10.4K replies 818.2K views

Replies

• edited 30 June at 11:39PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June at 11:39PM
    I'm not allowed Alchemilla mollis. :( That's because DW has Alchemilla erythropoda and she doesn't want any funny business going on between them, resulting in hybrids. I can see her point, as erythropoda is a daintier plant and better for edging.
    Currently wrestling with some Achocha grown from seed Dave of Blackberry Farm gave me, which doesn't resemble the examples I've found on the internet. :/ He said one sort was for polytunnel and one for outdoors, but I can't remember which was which, or the type I've sown! Anyway. it's at the top of its sticks now and showing no inclination to flower yet, so I think I may need to make an aerial bridge for some of it and ditch the surplus. :'(
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    866 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Dave -
    The sexing chicks/cockerels is when they are a few days old the tip feathers on the tail on the males have a more pronounced sideways slant - just right on the sticky up highest feathers on the tails just at the tips the feathers have a noticeable line of horizontal strands (miniscule but compare and contrast)- I'm not describing this too well but if you try and google the info and see a line drawing it's a good reliable way of sexing chicks.

Got a bad clegg bite that went a bit manky - see trying to get an appointment to see DR. The way that some act as gatekeepers and get quite officious is unreal.
    I have been attempting to sort out some land thing and that is mind bending at the moment and trying to speak to people who are working at home and appear to be completely stressed out and rude - It's not easy for anyone but I think they are not really being professional. It's like swimming in mud with lead boots on.

Went somewhere last night just to clear the head and found a section of very weird rocks that must have come about during the ice age. I thought they were tree stumps in the near distance and went across. Amazing sight but didn't have the camera. Lovely unusual plants about - there's a type of insect/fly catcher that you see occasionally shaped like a star and there were plants that were very dark maroon/copper beech colour with pink bell like flowers - all on peat.  It's a strange place with a very odd feeling but was a village that was flooded in the 50s to create a hydro scheme. 
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass the tail feather thing on to DW, Ted. My head's full of plant stuff, and half-addled as a result, so I don't want to get too much expertise with the chickens! Every time put something new into the memory banks these days something else falls out the other side!
    We were able to meet up with the family yesterday in a forest some considerable distance from here, so something close to normality was achieved at last. :) Most disappointed with DD, who was sure we couldn't go into Wales. :o I thought, "Where's your spirit of rebelliousness gone, woman?" Anyway, we popped out the other side and back into England again before you could say llanfairpwll.... etc etc.  I knew we were in England, because buying a few ice creams cost £13.60! :s
    I don't seem to be reacting to the horse fly bites again this year. I've had a couple so far, but they came to nothing.

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted
    If the infection from the bite is threading, get immediate medical assistance / antibiotics at the minimum, please.

Dave, glad you could find some way to meet up. 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    866 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good Dave you had a time with DD - that would be good for you all.
    The clegg bite is going down - I did eventually manage to get anti-biotics. I insisted as I've had problems in the past with them and knew I needed them in this instance.

Pouring down here - very heavy rain. Been spending time trying to sort out what action I need to take/not take re the land stuff. It's been somewhat mind melting but things are looking a bit clearer and less rushed. Helps to be able to get some insights from a person I met years back at a crofting thing. I feel so less fraught but also he's helped with how to start setting out a response. Poor guy I've sent him so many emails and he's phoned me a couple of times and he's really busy - It's the busy folks that usually help in times of need eh?

Hens are still not laying. I hope they will soon - I think they were not as old as the seller reckoned.

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job you got meds for that bite before the weekend, Ted. Also good to hear that you have back-up on the legal thing. No news on the new neighbour v adjoining farmer stand-off here, but it's been encouraging to see that neighbour getting on and sorting out their property, which had been neglected for some time.
    Yes, got to see both DDs mid-week and a look at DD2's sun trap garden, where all her veggies grown in pots were doing fabulously. Huge courgette crop, while I'm still picking wee things 4" long!  :'( To cap it all, last night SiL came up to apologise, having just consumed the first two tomatoes we've had ripen here!  :o She's in the caravan currently and 'didn't realise' they were kinda special. I suppose the other 14 plants with only green ones on them weren't much of a clue!! ;)
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • edited 5 July at 11:33AM
    Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    866 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 July at 11:33AM
    I think that you should nail the caravan shut Dave. That is a serious crime.

My veg isn't doing that well. The ground I nearly finished digging over at the front is under water in parts and the stuff seems pretty pathetic. It's virgin ground and I didn't use any seaweed as I usually have done in other parts of the garden ground but did use well rotted sheep manure in some areas.  I find it is usually quite good as a soil improver. I shan't be winning any competitions.
    It's rained all night and the burn is in spate again. Looks like it's going to be heavy plouts all day. Grumble, mumble. Indoor jobs such as potting up some lemon geranium cuttings and some alpines I bought cheap from LIDLs last year and they've dome amazing and survived outdoors all Winter.
    Good listing day on the bay so will be routling out all those things that no longer fit our bloated bodies and all the stuff we no longer need in the shed. That's the plan.
  • edited 5 July at 6:32PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 July at 6:32PM
    Ted_Head said:
    I think that you should nail the caravan shut Dave. That is a serious crime.
    Too late, she's gone! :'(
    We spent today refurbishing old Horse Woman's old hen ark which I nabbed when HW's son said, "Take what you like before the new owner gets here!" It's now a very serviceable item we can use with the Cream Legbars when we put them out next week. What with that and the posh wee house on wheels they ought to be happy. o:)
    DW's already booked the next set of eggs. Have to choose between Vorwerks, Australorps, Rhodies or lucky dip from all 3!  These next ones also have to be worked around the arrival of our new grandchild who, according to Sam, will be called 'Twinkle.' Fair enough, that's gender neutral....err.....I think! :|

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to work with someone called Twinkle...
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When lockdown loomed and none of the tomato seeds were doing anything the local coop sold some plants labelled tomato and bush tomato so I bought one of each as insurance. The later had just ripened its first fruit outside despite the howling gale and lashing rain. It's formed a neat dome with masses of fruiting side shoots but is looking unhappy so I think a couple of weeks in a warm dry attic might be called for. 

The rest look like I'll get something off them, even if it's only future seed. If we get a warm dry spell.....
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing