Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 12:24PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.7K replies 827.7K views

Replies

• Ted_HeadTed_Head Forumite
    942 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have bought mixed living lettuces from LIDLs in the past to plant - there are loads in a little polysterene box.
    Off to brave the shops today and post all the sales. Spent yesterday packing stuff up so that was a good clear out.

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually get my wee lettuce plants from the £1 packs in Sainsburys, Ted. I've not seen any this year though, so it's been a case of planting my own. All I've had up to now has been Little Gem, but the oak leaf ones are almost ready. I also grow mixtures of things like Mizuna, Cress and Rocket in troughs for baby leaves. Easy peasy and up on the bench the slugs can't get them. :p
    Legbars went outside today in their new refurbished run. All very new to them:
    Digital Identity: you've seen the carrot, but wait till you feel the stick!
  • RASRAS Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that photo, it looks like they all want to know what's outside! Golly they are growing.

I planted some mixed lettuce just after New Year as a morale booster. My friend had had already planted a whole packet of cos lettuce. So we put my seedlings in the polytunnel in March to follow on from his excessive cos crop. That worked until we got the first heat wave. The next batch just hated the heat but I'm about to sow again because it's cooler.

In winter I like rocket, land cress, lamb's lettuce and forage bittercress. In pots that does surprisingly well. About to plant some mustards.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    942 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Dave the run/ark thing is possibly what I should use as there's an golden eagle quartering the croft right now & I do wonder if that is what got the pullet as before I've had a mass kill. This was just a single grab.
    Yours are coming on nicely. Is the one on the farthest right the cockerel? He looks like a 'he' being bigger or is that just perspective?
    I've been busy doing a load of looking through land registry stuff. I did have a lot of paperwork in old caravan which is welded together with the damp that has been a bit of a disgusting job and not quite finished that in the slightest. I've had to order stuff on-line from Land registry just in attempting to get some sense out of things. It's a bit of a racket unless you know what to order which in a way I do. So stressed it seems to be a bit of an energy sapper and my concentration is shot to bits. It's such a lovely day but I'm just waiting and dithering beside the phone. 

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted_Head said:
    Dave the run/ark thing is possibly what I should use as there's an golden eagle quartering the croft right now & I do wonder if that is what got the pullet as before I've had a mass kill. This was just a single grab.
    Yours are coming on nicely. Is the one on the farthest right the cockerel? He looks like a 'he' being bigger or is that just perspective?
    Yes, that freebie ark was worth saving and doing a bit of work on. I have the wee house up on an old railway platform trolley or ease of movement, so yesterday I made a sort of joining tunnel to link them. It's still drying, unlike the weather. :/ I also stuck a bit of polycarbonate on the ark to give a bit more protection to the young 'uns from prevailing winds.

Yes that's the 'Big Hen!' I'm not allowed to call it a c0ckerel, and I'm not bumping it off now if it is one...... o:)
    942 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good arrangement you have but the thing is I always allowed my hens to free range so even keeping them confined in the big pen goes against my grain. I still think that hen is indeed a cockerel on the far right looking at it's tail as well.
    I have seen the ark system used to clear ground which is what I should be doing - let them do the digging;-)
    We await the delivery of a door that is to be converted into a stair screen/thingy upstairs instead of paying out £500+ for a over the counter jobbie we aim to convert a glazed door into one for the top landing.
    I've done little today other than try and get my head around the claim that I am not the sole owner of all I thought I was - but it may not be true. 
  • edited 8 July 2020 at 11:20PM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July 2020 at 11:20PM
    Our hens free range in the orchard, Ted, but not at this age, and they'll need to grow a bit before we introduce them to the other hen house/birds. Once they go down there, we can erect a run with netting and give them more space while they keep their wheelie house for a while.
    It's a flexible system as DW wants to incubate more eggs and sell many of the birds on. Personally,  think she'll tire of it in  time, but it's something she can do right now without too much exertion while her walking isn't so good.
    942 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is good fun to incubate eggs. I did enjoy that. Just with the predator thing it is a big heart break often here.

Very heavy down pours again and more and more camper vans appearing. Quite cool this evening with low cloud - very Un-Summery. I hope Alfie is okay. I think I shall email her.
  • RASRAS Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting of another sort here; third 'swarm' in 8 days. One a car journey away, the others local. The weather hasn't been good enough to inspect the first local batch to find out if it's our queen who'd left home. Hope to do that when it warms up later today and to go over to the quarantine site to see if the villagers are still in residence.

Dreadful weather this last week and cool enough this morning for me to get out early and move the colony we boxed last night as no-one was flying. They are now in the apiary and the humans can use their own facilities again. Got that lot just before it lashed down last night.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    942 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful that you have bees RAS. You are clever.