The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Options

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks DH. With any luck your thread will be mentioned in the weekly MSEmail so will gain some new members.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Swash
    Swash Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, £879.75 in the EF but may have to transfer some out on Thursday as my car is in the garage. I suppose that is what the EF is there for :)
    "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles".
  • The_Only_Girl
    Options

Am finding it enough of a struggle to get any kind of EF together as whenever I manage to reach a decent amount some real-life emergency jumps up and bites me:(. So patman's challenge needs to focus on short-term savings for me.

After feeling triumphant about reaching and slightly exceeding my £1000 EF target last week, several emergencies have cropped up - our shower broke! That's after my ironing horse crashed and broke and took the iron along with it. Other bits of emergencies came up too, dragging my emergency fund down by £451. At the moment they are on the emergency cc but everything will be paid in full on the due date. Now I need to concentrate on getting the EF back to £1000 again. It is a bit of annoying when life sets you back but at least I am thankful that we now have the EF to cover such set backs. Until only recently EF is completely unheard of in my household and overdrafts and cc's were the main source of cover and pulled us financially down every time.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey Carbootcrazy.....You would be more than welcome to Join to save for a new Car Fund..... :) And don't worry about it being slow going....mine will be too!!

Thanks Patman.....hopefully there will be a few people who want to save.... :)
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    My EF has been neglected since I have been trying to rid myself of the credit card with the highest interest but popped a little £5 to EF this morning.

Slowly but surely I will get there!

LMD x
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2806.86 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1045/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £30114.47
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    #45 dropping in for the regular update - £650 which is 65%, still plodding on, slow but sure.

DB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well TOG that is exactley what the EF is all about. Having the funds in place to cope with most every day emergencies.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the place but I'm new at this, so apologies if it's the wrong place to ask! How do you add the totals at the bottom of your posts?
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • LittleMissDetermined
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the place but I'm new at this, so apologies if it's the wrong place to ask! How do you add the totals at the bottom of your posts?

Go to Quick links at the green menu bar and then there's an option to update signature

LMD x
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2806.86 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £1045/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £30114.47
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks LMD I'll try that.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback