MSE News: Morrisons to begin price matching Aldi and Lidl

in Gone Off!
215 replies 45K views
Tomorrow Morrisons is launching its new 'Match & More' scheme, which price matches against Aldi and Lidl...
Read the full story:

Morrisons to begin price matching Aldi and Lidl

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Kingsd316Kingsd316 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Is this an in store card pick up or can you register online?
    :beer:
  • Is this going to be another price match con?

If they are determined to be the cheapest why not just drop their prices?

We all know the answers.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it looks like a price match con.

They'll claim 'incomparable' and if they can't they'll give you a voucher to spend on over priced stuff.

People want 'more' and they increasingly know how to get it, supermarket loyalty isn't the way.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Aldi for reasons other than price. Once Dalton Philips gets the push Morrisons may do some market research to find out why this is so.
  • ddukdduk Forumite
    150 Posts
    Have to spend £15 in a single shop for it to apply. No use for me as I usually do several small shops through the week.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Their High Commissioner whisky is acceptable.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, they will be comparing their own brand products against Aldi's and Lidl's. The question is, will that be a fair comparison?

Even if it is (and I have some doubts) it's another cumbersome, unwieldy scheme involving data mining, cards and points. As has been suggested above, if they are serious, they should cut their prices. We'll do the rest.
  • Clem_FandangoClem_Fandango Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    So I get 1p worth of 'points' for every 1p more that I spend at Morrisons compared to elsewhere. Once I've been over-charged sufficiently by Morrisons I get a voucher to spend back in their shops (and start all over again).

I suppose they could try to consistently match prices, but there's no silliness involved with that.

The more the likes of Morrisons push these 'initiatives', the more they push me towards Lidl and Aldi. The days of vouchers, coupons and the like are hopefully behind us.
  • kevin52kevin52 Forumite
    156 Posts
    This makes me laugh. When Morrisons took over Safeway they scrapped the ABC loyalty card, introduced £! coins for the trolleys, and reduced opening hours. They have now gone back on all three. How could they get it so wrong.
  • Ken68 wrote: »
    Their High Commissioner whisky is acceptable.

If you're a down and out.

Anyway, it's not exclusive to Morrisons, so your comment is irrelevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals