PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• findingmyfeet
    Options
    well im running close to the monthly budget so need to stretch everything we have for the next week or so.

not stuck to my meal plan as life has gone a bit mad, so need to get back on track with that. stocked up well on extra tins etc ready for christmas and about to start thinking of baking and freezing for christmas too. I do lots of baking and freeze but dont really freeze many meals.

Can anyone tell me whch meals freeze really well and still taste good please?. will then have a weekend of domestic goddessness......and see how much i can get made.

Need more milk and fruit from a*dis tomorrow but most other things we have in.

Been given a big bag of apples from a neighbour so need to make as much as possible rom these too. pies, crumbles and tarts me thinks.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A smallish shop yesterday for veg. Still haven't updated the signature...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    maria3104 wrote: »
    YS, meant to ask, I live around 30 miles from any SM;s. When do the YS get put on. If I was passing through a town with a SM when should I aim to pop in and scour the YS section?

Not likely for me to be on the road, but one never knows...

The times vary quite wildly by supermarket and also on who's working that day etc. Sometimes I'll find my local Tesco does 90% reductions as early as 6pm, sometimes I go and they haven't even been done by 9pm. I'd say usually if you're in the area then it's worth popping in between 7-8:30 to have a look. Although be prepared for chaos! The people in my SM have no fear of diving in with elbows everywhere which does get on my nerves! You have to be in there very quick to get the good YS bargains. Also it's worth trying bigger stores in the area, generally they reduce more stuff and out of town locations can also be good because they tend to be less crowded.

Can anyone tell me whch meals freeze really well and still taste good please?. will then have a weekend of domestic goddessness......and see how much i can get made.

I freeze anything and everything that will fit into my freezer :p Pasta, soup, stews & casseroles are all good ones to make extra of along with things like chilli or bolognese sauces. Most things are freezable and reheat just fine, the only things I'd be wary of are anything with a lot of cream, mayonnaise (although I do free egg mayo sandwiches with success) or salad type vegetables as the cream will separate and salady vegetables go soggy when defrosted. Also remember not to defrost and re-freeze meat in the same condition.

Think I'm going to have another NSD unless I'm tempted by anything!
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NSD for me today, stuck in with the eldest son who has chicken pox
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Mrs Cheshire's DS!

Just back from L1dl, £20 food and £15 beer for the boys (from their own change budget so not counted in GC). Updated sig.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I stayed within the £5 budget at just over£4 spent.

I'm now hoping not to spend until Saturday when we will need fresh stuff. I hope your son doesn't feel poorly with the chicken pox x :(
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    Right.... time to face the music and update the signature!!

Soooo.... a variety of spends from Mr T's, £26.45, £10.57, £21.98 and £3.00. Along with £6 today from Icelands and an online Iceland shop the other day of £48.06. Now I can see it all typed down i'm fearful I may have gone over already..... *rushes off to total up*.....

Well.... maybe not.... But bad enough!!

Total currently stands at ££380.48/£400

So i basically have £19.52p to last till 1st November :eek::eek::eek:

Plus side, due to crazy spending, I do actually have quite a bit in with quite a few meals I can prepare. Will do a full meal plan tomorrow (like I should have done in the first place) and see what I can come up with!

Negative side is next week is half term. I still have Halloween sweets to buy, i've very little fruit and veg left, and i'm on a diet with not much in the fits around my SW plan.

Right, need to get my positive head on. Considering I forgot it was half term and didn't include it in my budget in the first place I will try my best to go over as little budget as possible! The £19.52 will be used to buy milk/bread/fruit/veg. Then I will eat what I can out the house before I go buying other stuff. I have plenty I can bake with. Wonder if I could make cakes for Halloween treats instead of buying sweets :o

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • Change4Life
    Change4Life Posts: 33 Organisation Representative
    edited 22 October 2014 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Your meal plan looks great and sounds delicious! We have a Meal Mixer tool which contains healthy, easy to make, calorie counted recipes and a shopping list function which makes it easy to keep track of everything you need. If you're looking to add more variety to your plan check it out. Most recipes serve four adults and cost around £5 to make.

Hope you find this information useful.

HR, Change4Life
    Official Company Representative
    We are the official representatives of Change4Life. MSE has given permission for us to post in response to health, fitness and lifestyle questions. You can see our name on the companies/organisations with permission to post list.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Hi CountingPennies,

Your meal plan looks great and sounds delicious! We have a Meal Mixer tool which contains healthy, easy to make, calorie counted recipes and a shopping list function which makes it easy to keep track of everything you need. If you're looking to add more variety to your plan check it out. Most recipes serve four adults and cost around £5 to make.

Hope you find this information useful.

HR, Change4Life
    £5!!!! :eek:
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone, totally keep forgetting to update here. Did our last October shop on Saturday and we ended the month on £165 spent from the £200 budget. Really pleased with that as I needed the extra cash to top the car up with fuel since we've been doing a lot of driving recently! Well done to all who've kept to budget and there's always next month for those who haven't. See you all in November!
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure