PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CountingPennies
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    £5!!!! :eek:

I'm confused..... Post i can see says "Hi Smoosh" yet your quote says "Hi Counting Pennies" :rotfl:

I share you opinion tho SW :eek:

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Can anyone tell me which meals freeze really well and still taste good please?. will then have a weekend of domestic goddessness......and see how much i can get made.
    I agree with Smoosh and also freeze everything - even left-overs - but I would certainly say anything you can portion up into gravy (such as left-over joints) or a sauce (such as Coq au vin).

One thing I find actually seems to improve with freezing is curry.

Oh btw - if when you defrost gravy or a sauce and it looks a bit curdled or lumpy, just warm it a little and then give it a good whisk and it reforms ;)
    Most recipes serve four adults and cost around £5 to make.
    Hope you find this information useful.
    HR, Change4Life

Thanks but I agree with the others - £5 ?? :eek:

I managed another NSD yesterday but a small spend of £3.49 in M&S today on some YS salads and fruit.

Hope you all have a thrifty Thursday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • bmma
    bmma Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today x
    :hello::coffee:Penny Pincher in training
    Keep Calm Keep Vegan:):staradmin
    year's food budget £1,920
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can anyone tell me whch meals freeze really well and still taste good please?. will then have a weekend of domestic goddessness......and see how much i can get made.

Need more milk and fruit from a*dis tomorrow but most other things we have in.

Been given a big bag of apples from a neighbour so need to make as much as possible rom these too. pies, crumbles and tarts me thinks.[/QUOTE]
    Hi

I make 1.5 kilos of beef mince into bolognaise sauce and it freezes fab. I also freeze apple pies, apple and sultana pies, apple with a little mincemeat pies. Crumbles never freeze well although I do freeze the crumble topping mix.I buy massive bags of flour from AF when it is really cheap and freeze the flour in small freezer bags to get out when I need it.
    I also batch cook beef stew and freeze in portions.
    Good luck, I love a batch cook day.
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    Today I will need bread, milk, fruit and veg. Will have a google online and see what Aldi have on offer and then go to iceland for the 89p milk. If i want to stretch this £19.52p out for as long as I can before going over budget I will have to shop at the cheapest possible!

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    maria3104 wrote: »
    Hi

I make 1.5 kilos of beef mince into bolognaise sauce and it freezes fab. I also freeze apple pies, apple and sultana pies, apple with a little mincemeat pies. Crumbles never freeze well although I do freeze the crumble topping mix.I buy massive bags of flour from AF when it is really cheap and freeze the flour in small freezer bags to get out when I need it.
    I also batch cook beef stew and freeze in portions.
    Good luck, I love a batch cook day.

Chilli, curries, shepherds pie (minus cheese on top, if you use it), soups, stews...anything saucy. I find BBC Good Food good for inspiration.

Agree with the above about Change4Life. I try to make my main meals come to under £2 if I can and with dried beans, lentils and cheap seasonal veg most are low calorie, meet protein requirements and allow us to far exceed "5 a day"
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    £36.15 spent at Tescos ... mostly fruit as cannot access an Aldi anymore and only near Lidl on Sundays ( but dont like their fruit). Around about £10 refunded as a problem with the frozen section in the van.
    I'm well up to my budget now if not over, not the best of months ... sigh !!!
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD for food yesterday and today - although I went into town, I am so proud of myself, lol
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Quick question. I have some melons and carrots that i cannot fit in the fridge. Would it be ok to store them in my cellar like they did in the olden days? Normally if i put bottles, cans, tins down there they are freezing cold like they have been in the fridge.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • bmma
    bmma Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    NSD today x
    :hello::coffee:Penny Pincher in training
    Keep Calm Keep Vegan:):staradmin
    year's food budget £1,920
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories