PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD here :j
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NSD for me today!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £25 spent today, MrT, Marks and market. Well stocked up again. Got two humongous cauliflowers for £1 and made cauliflower pakora for dinner. Yummy!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Was £208, £8 over £200 budget. Emergency, Mother is visiting this weekend. Fridge is totally empty. To avoid domestic lengthy lecture on there being no food in house for family etc have done a T,,,o order for friday £61 so will end up £269, £69 over budget. But it really is worth it...trust me....
    And have done a menu plan. Friday lasagne, sat roast pork from freezer supply of half price stuff, sunday soup and fresh bread and puddings are pies from freezer made last weekend. SORTED.
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    YS, meant to ask, I live around 30 miles from any SM;s. When do the YS get put on. If I was passing through a town with a SM when should I aim to pop in and scour the YS section?

Not likely for me to be on the road, but one never knows...
  • tumptyteapot
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    £25 spent today, MrT, Marks and market. Well stocked up again. Got two humongous cauliflowers for £1 and made cauliflower pakora for dinner. Yummy!
    Ohh, do you have a recipe please
    Tumptyteapot

• Caterina
    edited 22 October 2014 at 8:52AM
    Options
    Yes, I use a cup of gram (chick pea) flour, a teaspoon of turmeric, a pinch of garam masala, a pinch of chilli or cayenne pepper, chopped fresh coriander, salt to taste. Mix them all with water until it is the consistency of batter, then heat cooking oil in a deep frying pan, it must become very hot to give the fritters crispness.

Break the cauliflower in small florets, dip them in the batter until they are all covered, put in the hot oil to fry until they are crispy and golden. The cauliflower never goes too soft inside but we like it quite crunchy.

I also used up the leftover batter with slices of aubergine and potato, 1/4 inch thick otherwise they don't cook.

If you have any leftover vegetables, going soft and looking sad, in the bottom of the fridge, you can chop them, put them in the batter and then fry it by the spoonful, it makes a good change from using them up in soup!

Drain the fried bits of veg on kitchen paper, or if you save the paper bags from the greengrocers you can use them, and not buy kitchen paper.

We like to dip the hot fritters in a small bowl containing vinegar and a chopped chilli, but you can make a yogurt dip, or a tomato salsa.

DS yesterday asked me to make them more Mediterranean next time, so instead of Indian spices I shall add chopped garlic and parsley and will fry courgettes, broccoli and mozzarella pearls (bocconcini), and use a tomato sauce for dips. Never tried before but it will be fun to experiment.
  • Caterina
    Options
    maria3104 wrote: »
    YS, meant to ask, I live around 30 miles from any SM;s. When do the YS get put on. If I was passing through a town with a SM when should I aim to pop in and scour the YS section?

Not likely for me to be on the road, but one never knows...

Check the links below.

Look on point 22 of this list:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-supermarket-shopping?_ga=1.155103294.787219401.1408184923

Discussion thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=53501679&&_ga=1.151018687.787219401.1408184923#post53501679

HTH
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    nsd here too making do with milk till tomorrow I can streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch it out!!!!!!!!!!!! too windy to venture out!

That is what I did but I'm down to the dregs now so I will have to get some today. I'm aiming to spend no more than £5 on the milk, sugar and any YS.
    The budget is getting so tight now until the 31st :eek:
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Caterina
    Options
    If you are short of milk and have any nuts or seeds at home, make nut/seed milk, just blend a handful of nuts or seeds (up to 4 oz) in a couple of pints of water, use it for porridge or cooking. Even in drinks, we love hazelnut or cashew milk!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure