PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Whoops! I've got to add another £16 to my total as we had a very sneaky takeaway last night whilst watching the most adorable programme about sloths I've ever seen. It wasn't really worth it and I woke up in the early hours with a raging thirst so hopefully I will remember that the next time temptation comes knocking.:)
  • Morning all,

I had a naughty spend of £2.24 on a tub of b+j ice cream last night, whilst watching a film. Also £2 for 2*4pt milk.

Bf and I are out for date night tonight, chiquittos (quite expensive, but only once a month we go out for date night) Other weeks we stay in, but do something special. This helps to spread the cost.
    We are away Tue till Wed tea time as Bf Uncle died two weeks ago and 3 hours drive away. I don't drive well, so have to stay over. Luckily Bf dad has kindly paid for hotel and meal tues evening will be paid by the son of Bf Uncle, very kind of him! Kids are staying with dad from this morning until Wed evening so hopefully only a few gc spends this week. Desperately need to whittle down the freezer!!!
    GC Jan £200/£200.78 Feb £250/£156.07
    #161 £2019 in 2019 £132.01
    2019 Frugal Living
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hmmm I'm sure I said I only needed bananas and salad next week but have £34.27 to add to my total:eek: and no bananas or salad:eek:

This includes a big pack of seabr00k crisps (cos they're GF), 2 packs of oven pride cleaner and a treat for the dog from £streeeetchers. Also a pepper, green beans, chicken and curry paste and basmati rice for a chicken pilau last night and pork and gravy for today as well as jam and custard as I am going to attempt to make gluten free swiss roll for the first time. Neither meal was on my meal plan:mad: At least there is enough pilau left for DH and I to have for lunch today.

We also got a couple of frozen bits on offer. I managed to persuade DH not to get any more offers as I am trying to empty the freezer so I can give it a really good clean inside and out.

The best offer was we picked up two packs of YS chicken breasts and some pork loins full price that then went through with the 3 for £10 discount so worked out really good value.

Last night I used up the condensed milk cookie dough from Down to Earth blog that I had frozen last month. I had made it up and used half and froze half. Its a great way to use up that tin of condensed milk lurking at the back of the cupboard.

This half made 48 cookies and I used various bits to top them from the baking supplies including choc chips, choc coffee beans and sugar strands. Some were made into jam drops with value lemon curd and jam. I wonder how long they will last?:rotfl:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • merzal
    merzal Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Spent £1 today on 2l milk. Decided to go to corner shop as not much difference in price with Tesco and it saves me the temptation to buy other things! That's the only thing bought since Tuesday so not too bad. Also OH is working afternoons next week so won't have the car to go the shops so hopefully another low spend week as we are well stocked up.
    [STRIKE]CC1: £354.35 / £354.35[/STRIKE]
    CC2: £390 / £1475.98
    Boiler: £1500 / £2500
    [STRIKE]Overdraft: £1000 / £1000[/STRIKE]
    Emergency Fund : £20
  • Well I had to pop to Tescoids yesterday to get the chicken that my online shop didn't provide and spent £21.78 although £3.75 were on socks for my daughter (reduced to clear) and this is on my list of things that she needs so I spent £18.03 on food. Having the kids with me is definitely my Achilles heal and reminded me why I do online shopping!! My daughter nearly twisted my arm for a new lunch box (which was half price) as she's been using the same one from the last (academic) year but when I realised she really only wanted it for the bottle (which imo wasn't that great) I managed to sell it to her to put it back on the shelf. Its tough times at the mo for us but I was proud of myself (and my daughter too) as before I would have said "ok shove it in the trolley" and my daughter was fine with it too :)

So I am currently prepping the roasty dinner of chicken (she's one big old bird) and I am hoping she will see us for a couple more days after today :D

So we have £77.91 left now....I hope we can do it as we still have another 2 weeks left :undecided

FG xx
    :eek: 07/14 - LBM.....£38,151k joint debt :eek: now £32,417k
    Loan 1 - £20k - Now £18400, Loan 2 - £12k - Now £9470, CC1 - £795 - Now £720, CC2 - £3k - Now £2778, CC3 £361 - Now £209, CC4 - £100 - Now £70.99. DH OD - £1895 - Now £770
    1% challenge 08/14 #337; £2 challenge 01/15 #199;

• cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    OH persuaded me to let him have fish n chips from chippie for tea last week £4.60 out my budget!!!!!! Doing ok this month Im not one to post every spend I make however fish n chip tea wont be a regular occurance especially as it is out of my GB, OH can buy it next time.
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • £22.18 spent this morning, which means I've spent just over half my budget already this month.
    Instead of buying a friend a box of chocolates for his birthday tomorrow, I did decide to make cookies instead for him. So worked out slightly cheaper for the ingredients.

Have to be creative with my last half of the budget!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Just added my spends for the week to my sig. Just bits and bobs but it does add up! Haven't been feeling too well this week, been doing an awful lot of sleeping so have spent a bit more than hoped as some has been convenience food [STRIKE]and chocolate[/STRIKE].

DH treated me to fish & chips on Friday but I'm not counting that as he had a nice surprise rebate from HMRC in the post!

Have done an online order with Mr T to come tomorrow, trying to make the most of their wine offer but I know if I go into store I'll spend loads more on other stuff! Will update sig again once I know exactly how much it has cost.

Chicken in slow cooker for dinner tonight (first time I've done a chicken in it, smells lovely!) and need to get on with making apple crumble with apples from my parents garden.
    MFW 2016 #32 £1574.66/£1500:j:j
  • Spent £22.13 in the end but got such a lot!
    I'll update my siggy shortly :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Another £14.50 today even though I said I only needed £5 of stuff, taking me up to £30.34/£80

What happened was I walked down to the Indian/Pakistani shop to get more ghee because I'd run out ( it's £3.50ish, but lasts me ages) and I ended up buying fresh naans, frozen ginger and garlic blocks (much cheaper than always buying fresh) and cumin seeds. I needed all those things apart from the naans, but hadn't really budgeted for them.

Also got the tinned beans, tinned tomatoes and the fruit and veg I'd intended to get (frozen spinach, aubergines, green chillies, lots of onions, fresh parsley, oranges) but I still need to buy eggs, milk, more vegetables and maybe some cheddar!

I hope there are no more expensive but occasional purchase type staples that I'm about to run out of.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills