IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: 'Don't pay unfair private parking tickets'

Options

Comments

• Even though I was late?
  • vaengr
    vaengr Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Point taken!
  • WelshBird_2
    WelshBird_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2015 at 12:43PM
    Options
    Hi,

I thought I'd post about my experience of contesting a Parking Eye parking ticket using MSE's guidelines. I nearly just paid up to save the hassle but I'm so glad I contested it and I'm surprised at how easy and quickly it got resolved in my favour. I hope my experience will encourage others to give it a go.

I wrote the first letter saying that I would not be paying the invoice because it was an unreasonable charge.

Parking Eye replied saying that I would be taken to court if I didn't pay.

I then set about appealing to Popla but the reference number on the letter from Parking Eye didn't fit in the boxes on the Popla website so I emailed Popla with a scan of the letter I'd received from Parking Eye and asked which number on the letter I should enter as my reference number on their website.

I did not receive a reply from Popla but the next but one day I received a letter from Parking Eye saying that my debt had been cancelled and there was nothing further for me to pay on my account.

I'm obviously happy with this outcome but I'm also a but suspicious and wondered if Parking Eye are doing something dodgy by not giving people a valid reference number for their 'fine'.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of people have had the experience of not getting POPLA codes from PPCs - there are threads almost daily about it.

A strong complaint to Steve Clarke at the BPA should be your next step - his email is easily found in here.

Also, it is not a fine!
  • forummember
    Options
    Hi I had recently paid 40 GBP to Parking Eye for overstaying in a private parking lot by around 20 mins. I had not seen the sign anywhere and when I appealed they asked ME to prove that the signs are not visible.
    I ended up paying because I did not want to go the place where I parked , go through the hassle and inconvenience of parking and taking photos etc to prove my point. I think most of these companies know that people dont have time to go back and prove things and end up fleecing us

any suggestions on next steps ?
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    I'm afraid that as you've already paid it, there's little point in taking it further unless you've already lodged an appeal. Best advice is to forget it, move on, and don't do it again
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Sign up at this site. You have nothing to lose now you've you've already paid them.

http://www.challengethefine.com/blog4.html
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • The-Bigfella
    The-Bigfella Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2015 at 12:02AM
    Options
    I received this notice from G24 on 1st April alleging to an offence on 05/02/2015.

At first, thought it was April 1st Joke.

I was at Grand Junction Retail Park on 5/02/15.
    We were there from approx 3 - 7 pm.

We are pensioners and in proceeds of receiving disabled badge.

We visited various stores, spent approx. £500, and got prices on a suite.
    We moved my vehicle 6 or 7 times to load goods into my vehicle from the various shops we visited.

No way could we have completed our shopping in less time.

There were no ticket machines, or signs about payment, within the car parking areas, so we ended having some food there.

I cant believe what they are expecting me to pay.

It is really unfair !!!! Is it legal ? ?

They are asking for £85 parking charge...

On trying on line to appeal, says it too late to appeal.

Can pay £51 if paid with 28 days of offence.

Only just received this notice,

Any constructive views/ideas would be helpful.

The Bigfella x
  • pustit
    pustit Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What date is given on the ticket ? 2015 or 2014
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2015 at 8:38AM
    Options
    We are pensioners and in proceeds of receiving disabled badge.

Have issues been approved? Councils are very reluctant to issue these, refusing them at the drop of a hat, see my tribulations with RBC

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5167983&highlight=

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5059915&highlight=

If they refuse I may be able to help, you need to be very assertive.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure