Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'We've reached a tipping point' Signs of house price weakness

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Be nice...Crashy is used to HPC where counterarguments are banned. It must seem very threatening to him visiting a forum where a healthy bullish view of the housing market is tolerated. He'll get used to it.

This housing forum seems to have the same half dozen idiots just jumping on anything that challenges never ending HPI, very disappointing for what must be one of the best known websites in the UK? The debate at HPC is much more informative, and there are plenty of Bullish views (well a few :p) on display, but lets face it, who is Bullish in this debt saturated environment? IMO only those who have made a one way bet on never ending HPI. They are not really Bullish, just hoping against hope that the inevitable doesn`t happen.
  • padington
    padington Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Options
    This housing forum seems to have the same half dozen idiots just jumping on anything that challenges never ending HPI, very disappointing for what must be one of the best known websites in the UK? The debate at HPC is much more informative, and there are plenty of Bullish views (well a few :p) on display, but lets face it, who is Bullish in this debt saturated environment? IMO only those who have made a one way bet on never ending HPI. They are not really Bullish, just hoping against hope that the inevitable doesn`t happen.

I'm thinking it might be a good time to sell to be honest and buy up north. If you followed the advice of most of the regulars here two and half years ago you might be in a position to give up the day job too.

Shame you didn't.
    Proudly voted remain. A global union of countries is the only way to commit global capital to the rule of law.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    padington wrote: »
    I'm thinking it might be a good time to sell to be honest and buy up north. If you followed the advice of most of the regulars here two and half years ago you might be in a position to give up the day job too.

Shame you didn't.

Well, you will need to find a greater fool first, so good luck :money:
  • Bubble_and_Squeak
    Options

there are plenty out there but they can't get the loans at the moment
  • padington
    edited 1 October 2014 at 12:41AM
    Options

Oh I don't have to, I could just rent it out to those that can't afford a loan for enough to travel the world for the rest of my life.

A finer point you never quite understood.

.. but you can't say we didn't try to help you.
    Proudly voted remain. A global union of countries is the only way to commit global capital to the rule of law.
  • purch
    purch Posts: 9,865 Forumite
    Options
    padington wrote: »
    If you followed the advice of most of the regulars here two and half years ago you might

.....have saved yourself a fortune by not jumping on the SLV bandwagon :eek:
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
  • In_For_A_Penny_2
    Options
    purch wrote: »

Why does "SLV" mean? It's been popping up in a few posts. Sorry for the dumb question!
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options

I appreciate your pluck young Crashy. In fact you could have been me, in 2007. Gamely fighting the internet for the inevitability of house price falls. The banner of the forum hpc.co.uk fluttering at your back.

The problem is that the crash never happened, and it never will. The powers that be gamed the system to ensure prices wont fall in nominal terms. There is next to no new supply coming through, and if it ever looks like the banks wont lend then the government steps in and gives them taxpayer money instead.

There is no way out and no way to fight it. The best you can do is try and make the system work for you.

And steer clear of hpc.co.uk. They have long since lost the plot.
  • padington
    edited 1 October 2014 at 9:12AM
    Options
    purch wrote: »

Yeah lost 10k on silver, I did shift pretty quickly though when it became obvious I was wrong and to be fair i did take it on the chin and accept publically I was wrong.

Unlike some ...
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The debate at HPC is much more informative,

Just to be clear, this is the HPC forum created in October 2003 to discuss the "biggest economic boom bust events in living memory?"

Since HPC was created average house prices have risen from £133,903 to £186,544, a 39% increase. Could HPC have called it more wrong? HPC is more misinformation than information so believe what you read there at your peril.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family