The Totally Awesome August NSD Challenge!

edited 8 August 2014 at 8:54AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
523 replies 15.6K views

Replies

• kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using my rules for August, finished with another NSD on the 31st to end with 8/10. Not great, but looking forward to a better month in September. :)

That's 8 whole days of not spending and 31 days of thinking about what you are spending on, pretty great in my book :T
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've finally finished my August accounts - having had to hunt down 2 receipts (still got a 3rd missing, but it was for just one item and I know how much), go through card statements for a couple I didn't get receipts for (other than the card transaction which I never keep once it's on my on-line statement), and track down dozens of on-line purchases.

Although I can't see myself on the list of challengers I have seen the post where I signed up for a reduced target of 10 - and I didn't quite make that!! I've ended the month with 8 NSDs.

Given the month was a totally non-standard month (2 separate overnight stays in hospital which meant 2 taxi fares and 1 bus fare I wouldn't normally have but have counted as non-allowed spends, plus reliant on ready meals which I don't seem to get inspired enough with to buy in advance), I don't actually think 8 was bad :)

I was aiming for 144 over the year, which initially meant over 10 months (as I planned to be away for 8 weeks spending daily on food and accommodation) - so was hoping to get 15 a month and be at 120 by the end of August. Despite a couple of 'bad' months I'm still at 131, so I'm going to have to rethink what I'm aiming for over the year as I'm no longer going to be absent at all.....
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • Sazzie23Sazzie23 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Post of the Month
    cw18 wrote: »
    I've finally finished my August accounts - having had to hunt down 2 receipts (still got a 3rd missing, but it was for just one item and I know how much), go through card statements for a couple I didn't get receipts for (other than the card transaction which I never keep once it's on my on-line statement), and track down dozens of on-line purchases.

Although I can't see myself on the list of challengers I have seen the post where I signed up for a reduced target of 10 - and I didn't quite make that!! I've ended the month with 8 NSDs.

Given the month was a totally non-standard month (2 separate overnight stays in hospital which meant 2 taxi fares and 1 bus fare I wouldn't normally have but have counted as non-allowed spends, plus reliant on ready meals which I don't seem to get inspired enough with to buy in advance), I don't actually think 8 was bad :)

I was aiming for 144 over the year, which initially meant over 10 months (as I planned to be away for 8 weeks spending daily on food and accommodation) - so was hoping to get 15 a month and be at 120 by the end of August. Despite a couple of 'bad' months I'm still at 131, so I'm going to have to rethink what I'm aiming for over the year as I'm no longer going to be absent at all.....

Hi Cw

I think you did rather well all things considered, and you are so organised I am just in awe. Ready meals, probably better than a lot of takeaways, financially and health wise. Sorry the trip had to be postponed, but part of me thinks these things happen for a reason.

Hope the arm is mending ok now
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T
    Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years
    DMP support no438.
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Ready meals, probably better than a lot of takeaways, financially and health wise
    Very easy choice for me - I don't like takeaway :D Don't mind pizza once in a while and can do Chinese a couple of times a year, but that's the lot for me ;)
    Hope the arm is mending ok now
    Orthopedics signed me off 9 days ago, so now it's down to physio. Was initially given appt on 9th November (:o) so I phoned hospital and kicked up a stink. Was then given one for yesterday, but had a call on Thursday to say it was for the 'wrong' clinic so they'd cancelled it. Now have an appt for the 'right' one on Monday afternoon. Was supposed to come off pain meds last weekend, but had to get some more from GP yesterday as I've been 'struggling' - fortunately she was sympathetic, as the hospital discharge notes said the prescription wasn't to be reissued....
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • Fingers crossed you'll get a physio who knows what they are doing ! Don't expect too much too quick though

Lucky you having sympathetic GP.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T
    Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years
    DMP support no438.
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    She isn't normally. But I think she's finally realised I don't/won't take medication unless there's no viable option, as we've had a couple of tiffs when she's wanted to prescribe things that I've flatly refused to accept (statins being one as I prefer to control cholesterol through diet and exercise). So the fact I was asking for pain meds meant I needed them ;)
    Cheryl
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    She isn't normally. But I think she's finally realised I don't/won't take medication unless there's no viable option, as we've had a couple of tiffs when she's wanted to prescribe things that I've flatly refused to accept (statins being one as I prefer to control cholesterol through diet and exercise). So the fact I was asking for pain meds meant I needed them ;)

There was a very interesting programme on called 'the men who made us spend' - kinda about advertising and the power of it, but one episode i saw included cholesterol and statins - very interesting an worth a look, really does make you think about the power of advertising.

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/video/x20j8as_the-men-who-made-us-spend-episode-2_creation
    JAN NSD 11/16

• marmiterulesokmarmiterulesok Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    t2rry wrote: »
    I love this day of the month Nargle, I could spend hours (I sometimes do!) moving money to the right places, split between 6 different savings accounts, making overpayments to debt (no matter how small) and tinkering with the budget to work out where I can save!!

My first budget challenge will be tomorrow - we have £70 budgeted for a family do. If we go over budget, it costs me an NSD and I don't hit August's target...if we keep it under, the excess is free for debt payments or savings (whichever I feel deserves it more!)

Quite excited!

I also spend quite a while sorting out what goes in which account. :)
    Penguins86 wrote: »
    Today has been NSD #9. I moved some money into my savings account but didn't actually spend anything. I have a SO set up to transfer funds on the 1st of each month but didn't want to overdo it, so having had a quieter month than I thought I added an extra bit :)

You're quite right.Moving money into your savings account doesn't constitute spending IMO either.
    Hi everyone, I am checking in to report NSD 10 and I have made my target. :j

I can't believe I have done it, thank you to everyone on here for their support. This is the first month that I have had money left over before payday and I have been able to bump up my savings. :D

Bring on September! :beer:

That is great news,well done! :j:j:D

I'm off to update the front page now.Will we get over 300 nsds?Ta ta ta ta taaaa......:money:
  • marmiterulesokmarmiterulesok Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    There was a very interesting programme on called 'the men who made us spend' - kinda about advertising and the power of it, but one episode i saw included cholesterol and statins - very interesting an worth a look, really does make you think about the power of advertising.

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/video/x20j8as_the-men-who-made-us-spend-episode-2_creation

Sounds interesting kerri,but the link doesn't work.
  • edited 7 September 2014 at 12:37PM
    kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2014 at 12:37PM
    Sounds interesting kerri,but the link doesn't work.

hmmm, odd -go to daily motion .com (no space between daily and motion), then search 'the men who made us spend' it's Episode 2

or try this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_6v6pQrDbk

Annoyingly its not on iPlayer
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals