We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Immaterial Girl

Options

Comments

• Snagggles
    Snagggles Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Scaredy and jodles! :wave:

Thanks very much jodles - I have days when I really let things get to me, but I'm definitely doing loads better at staying positive. :)
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
    The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
  • Snagggles
    Options
    Having talked about being positive, I got an email at work yesterday that (in a roundabout, managementbollocks way) that they are reducing the salary level for my grade. It said it won't affect existing staff *for now*, but I won't get a payrise until my pay is in line with the new structure.

Today, another email has surfaced, which implies quite strongly that in a few months, my pay will actually be cut to be in line with it.

Not just a little bit either - enough for me to need to move. :eek:

I'm not going to panic until I know for sure, but as you can imagine, the atmosphere in the office is not pleasant at the moment. Everyone is seriously worried, mostly about their ability to keep their homes, which is a bit ironic, considering what we do!

Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as everyone fears. And if it is, there's always wine. :rotfl:
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Snagggles wrote: »
    Having talked about being positive, I got an email at work yesterday that (in a roundabout, managementbollocks way)

What? You get that as well?
    that they are reducing the salary level for my grade. It said it won't affect existing staff *for now*, but I won't get a payrise until my pay is in line with the new structure.

How generous are they with payrises?
    Today, another email has surfaced, which implies quite strongly that in a few months, my pay will actually be cut to be in line with it.

Not just a little bit either - enough for me to need to move. :eek:

:eek:
    I'm not going to panic until I know for sure,

No, but you need to seek "management confirmation" as they say. Our managers are so focused on the "putting a positive face" on news, that they forget to impart the actual news, so people come to their own conclusions. I don't doubt yours are similarly hopeless.
    but as you can imagine, the atmosphere in the office is not pleasant at the moment. Everyone is seriously worried, mostly about their ability to keep their homes, which is a bit ironic, considering what we do!

More than a bit. :grouphug:
    Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as everyone fears. And if it is, there's always wine. :rotfl:

:beer:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Snagggles
    Options
    Confirmation will be in the form of a 'consultation period' apparently (ie, we've decided we're doing this, but by all means drop your objections onto our deaf ears), followed by an announcement in November. I'd be entitled to a month's notice. Just in time for Christmas then! *golf clap*

Haha, if you met any of our managers, you would know why I stay well clear of their...emails. :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Boo.
    Agree with everything Z said.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    Options
    Confirmation will be in the form of a 'consultation period' apparently (ie, we've decided we're doing this, but by all means drop your objections onto our deaf ears), followed by an announcement in November. I'd be entitled to a month's notice. Just in time for Christmas then! *golf clap*

Don't prejudge it. I too am to undergo a restructure. It would probably have meant applying for my own job - which I do about every 2 years if you average it out. This time around, so many people have got sick and left, it has hollowed out some parts of the the department.

Management are looking at a retention problem now, and they're starting to flap.
    Haha, if you met any of our managers, you would know why I stay well clear of their...emails. :)

I read *every* missive from our great and glorious leaders. It often makes my day. I have been known to fall out of my chair laughing uproariously at the sheer idiocy. It's sometimes like an episode of the Goodies...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Might be worth googling "unlawful deduction from earnings".
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Snagggles
    Options
    Unfortunately, they seem to be within their rights, and the union is pretty powerless.

I shall treat it like I am treating many things at present, and pretend it's not happening. :)
  • ZTD
    Options
    Unfortunately, they seem to be within their rights, and the union is pretty powerless.

I shall treat it like I am treating many things at present, and pretend it's not happening. :)

And look for alternative stabler employment, which, given your background, shouldn't be all that difficult.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Snagggles
    Options
    Ooh, my first NSD since starting this diary. :T

I've had a rather lazy day, although did clean and tidy the kids' rooms, because they're with my mum and dad this weekend, and won't be home until Monday.

I'll need to spend a bit of money tomorrow because I need groceries (I don't even have bread and milk!).

It seems I'm not so great at living on my own!! :rotfl:

I saw a house I quite liked yesterday, and there's an open viewing tomorrow which I was all enthusiastic about going to, but I'm not so sure now. It's less than 6 months since I moved, and I'm not sure I feel ready to do it all again just yet. I love where we live at the moment too, so that's a factor. I'd be buying a smaller house in a less-nice area, so there's no point rushing into things. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure