We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Immaterial Girl

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Me too but arsefeatures is a new one for me too.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Snagggles wrote: »
    There are some 95% mortgages available these days but a lot more choice with a 10% deposit, or ideally more. 40% deposit opens up the very best deals, but that's not going to happen for me! :)

Looking around, I've found that the difference between a 25% deposit, and a 40% deposit was quite marginal. As in 0.02% in one case. Or are you thinking about a specific product?
    I'll have about a 20% deposit, with the money I eventually got back from arsefeatures, and the savings I have (although the !!!!!!! let me tie the majority up in a 3-year bond, when he already knew he didn't want to be with me).

That is the mark of someone who doesn't care anything about others.
    So I can't touch it without a huge penalty, but it means I'm not eligible for any means-tested benefits.

Nice work, knobwomble, nice work.

Knobwomble - that's a good one. Guy at work uses "knobjockey" quite a bit...

"Uses" - as in "says"... :whistle:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I think they mean two different things.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • ZTD
    Options
    I think they mean two different things.

So what do they mean? ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • lulabelle
    lulabelle Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    I love arsefeatures too but that's not a new one for me. I'm turning into a right man hater!!!!
    I want to be a writer
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, 3. :o It's very nice, but at the cheaper end of the scale, frighteningly. :eek:

To buy a 3-bed would be about £150k :( which is not affordable at the moment. To buy the house I'm living in now would be more like £250k. Prices are just crazy. :(
    Oh how I would love to have a house price that low!!!! On the other hand it reminds me that once you get out of the south east prices are very affordable. Now I just have to pursuade my OH 'if'' we move back, to not go back to our current house, but to use it as leverage to buy out of area....
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • ZTD
    Options
    chevalier wrote: »
    Oh how I would love to have a house price that low!!!! On the other hand it reminds me that once you get out of the south east prices are very affordable.

I wouldn't quite go that far. They're just less silly.
    chevalier wrote: »
    Now I just have to pursuade my OH 'if'' we move back, to not go back to our current house, but to use it as leverage to buy out of area....
    chev

This may (or may not) help: https://twitter.com/resi_analyst/status/463588496167284736/photo/1
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Snagggles
    Snagggles Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Guess it depends how you define 'affordable', Chev!

It's really difficult for single-income households to afford a decent house here (or most places in fact), but prices in the south are scary in comparison!
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
    The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Knob jockey would be one who benefits from a high degree of activity.
  • Snagggles
    Snagggles Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Rightio then, I've got my tax credit award and things aren't looking too bad.

Income = £2366 in total, outgoings = £2106 in total, leaving £260 per month to cover the incidental stuff like clothes, haircuts, school trips, presents, going out, etc etc.

Not a HUGE disposable income, but not bad considering I didn't expect to have any.

It will mean I can chip away at the credit card a bit more quickly too, if I can cut back in other areas, and staying on budget means my savings won't get eaten up before I can buy a house.

I'll post an SOA if anyone really wants me to, but it's not very exciting. A few things I could stop paying but don't really want to unless things get desperate (kids' hobbies and savings) and things I'd like to reduce but can't because it's not my house (gas/electricity...oh, and rent :rotfl:), but I haven't got Sky, a £50 mobile phone contract or a massive gym membership.

Hey, no need to laugh, I MIGHT have been a member of a gym!!

Shut up, I totally might have been!! :rotfl:

If savings are going to be made, it will be by shopping frugally, walking instead of using the car, bargain-hunting and self-restraint, that sort of thing. I'm in the right place then!! :D
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
    The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport