Solar Quotes

Options

Comments

• sgooduk
    sgooduk Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    Hi
    If you have the room then i'd go bigger, how much more can you fit up there? Any ideas of your rough roof size?

10 metres wide x 4.8 ish
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sgooduk wrote: »
    10 metres wide x 4.8 ish

Had it been like my parents who could place 40 panels on their west facing roof then I'd have been saying go bigger but Its not overly huge, so maybe better to stick to the "standard" 4kWp system size and leave a bit of extra room around the edges.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Guys,

As the feed in tariff only differs by 1p from 4k to 5k, and the additional cost is only a few hundred, is it worth going for a 5kw over a 4kw system?? No shading south south east.

Thanks

Scott

&
    10 metres wide x 4.8 ish

This is a tricky question, and like T said, if you're only going to go over 4kWp by a bit, possibly not. However, I could (and will) bore you to tears with all your options.

Between 4kWp and 5kWp you'll breakeven on the lower FiT rate v's the slightly lower install cost per kWp. But with kids, high useage etc, you may come out on top with greater leccy savings. But you'll need to cap your inverter at 3.68kW to keep the DNO happy (back to that in the next para). Over 5kWp and the losses from capping may be too great/un-economic.

If that roof space is all useable (after allowing 2/300mm all round) then you could fit upto 30 regular panels at around 7.5kWp. Nice! But you'll need to ask your DNO if you can exceed the 3.68kW limit (they allow 3.68kW automatically, but you have to get prior permission to go bigger, and in rare cases could set the limit lower (ask T)).

If you can fit lots of panels, then perhaps 6kWp of panels and a 5(ish)kW inverter would work well.

This may sound odd, but if your roof was further from south, then splitting your system across 2 orientations might work better (or give greater benefits). Even with high consumption, you'll still struggle to make use of the high peaks from a single (large) orientation system ....... but as you've spotted the extra cost is low, so well worth investigating ....... and when the weather is poor, the bigger system will give you more leccy to play with.

With a big roof, don't dismiss this idea until you've checked it out carefully, as a retro-expansion is much more expensive (that's what I did with my WNW roof).

Lastly, don't be put off by the installers saying you can't go bigger (unless they've very recently investigated your street), many of them don't want the hassle, so will tell you it can't be done. Only the DNO will know for sure, and you could start by simply ringing them for a chat. They are allowed to be negative, but they can't say "NO" without first investigating. Also the first bod (or two) on the phone may not know that the figure can be reviewed, and will simply say "it's 3.68 mate, nothing we can do".

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • sgooduk
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Compnay reckon I can comfortably fit 20panels on my roof.

I'm thinking of going for 20x 327 Watt sun power panels and a sunny boy Invertor (or are Solar River just as good??) . Just need to get a good deal on it, as currently coming in at 7995. (2k more than a cheaper panelled 4K setup)

Does this sound like a good system, is it overkill (better to go for cheaper panels)??

What size invertor should I go for, they quoted a 5200TL??

Solargen have said no problem's going with a bigger system and they will deal with supplier.

cheers

scott
  • Martyn1981
    Options

Does this sound like a good system, is it overkill (better to go for cheaper panels)??

What size invertor should I go for, they quoted a 5200TL??

scott

Hiya Scott. Obviously only speaking as a PV nerd, but it does sound like a good system ...... but also overkill. If your roof is big enough to hit your kWp target using 'regular' panels, then that would be cheaper. But I'm not knocking the Sunpower's at all. they do a great job, but crucially that job is usually to get more watts into a given space.

Get all your options, and see what you think, ask for views on here when comparing. It won't be quite as simple as dividing cost by Wp (since the Sunpowers may perform slightly better at low light levels ... or not?) but it's a good place to start.

Inverter wise, the Samil's have been getting good/respectful comments for a year or more, but don't have the sophisticated shade management that the more expensive SMA's have. If you don't have shade, then presumably not an issue.

Size wise (again, not an installer) but some/many have suggested that an undersizing of 10 to 20% is suitable in the UK. What you lose in peak capping should be more than made up for in higher efficiency and with earlier/lower power on times, and later off times.

But 6.54kWp v's 5.2kW does seem to be right on the max for that limit/suggestion, and it's not a rule par se, you'd want less undersizing in Cornwall compared to say Scotland, so you need a good installer whose thought it through carefully.

Regarding a larger system, have you been given any indication what sort of kW limit you might be allowed? That's inverter max kW limit (potential/theoretical export), not panel kWp limit.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My honest answer would be stick 20 x 250W panels up there, it's a lot cheaper than sunpowers and remember, kids grow up, leave home(hopefully). You could poss get a 5kWp system for around the £6k marker(DNO approved).
    The only reason I added my WNW was for the evening sun as my ESE fades late afternoon and my SSW suffers with shade.
    I struggle with a wife and 2 young kids at home all day to soak up all the generation from my systems
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • sgooduk
    Options
    Solar PV Kit Options
    20 x Amerisolar 250W solar panels
    1 x Samil Solar River 5200TL inverter
    1 x Schletter roof mounting kit (layout tbc)
    1 x All cables, clips, isolators needed for the installation
    1 x Full MCS / NICEIC Installation including the EPC and completion of all the paperwork

1 x Scaffolding and access (if required)
    £5,250 inc VAT

As above but using Renesola 250W solar panels for £5,350 inc VAT

As above but using Perlight or Phono Solar 250W (All Black) solar panels for £5,495 inc VAT
    As above but using Canadian Solar 265W (Black) panels for £6,195 inc VAT
    As above but using Hyundai 270W (Black Frame) panels for £6,295 inc VAT
    As above but using Solarworld AG 265W (All Black) panels for £6,395 inc VAT
    As above but using LG Electronics 300W (Black Frame) panels £6,995 inc VAT
    As above but using BENQ 325W (Black Frame) panels for £7,595 inc VAT
    As above but using Sunpower E20 Series 327W (Black Frame) panels for £7,995 inc VAT
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Blimey Scott! I had to read that about 3 times looking for the catch. Will have a fourth go now.

Are those really all-in prices, or am I going loopy?

Mart.

• sgooduk
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Blimey Scott! I had to read that about 3 times looking for the catch. Will have a fourth go now.

Are those really all-in prices, or am I going loopy?

Mart.

Yes mate, what do you guys recommend I go for ;)

Thanks

Scott
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    TBH they all look good, I'll have em all. I'm like a kid in a candy store trying to pick my virtual system (very jealous).

Not a recommendation, just my preference, I'd go for number 3 as I like black panels, so the extra few pounds are worth it.

After that the cost per Wp goes up, but the temptation to have a monster system might push me towards the BenQ's. Not an expert, but possibly the 5200TL might then be slightly too undersized, so perhaps an extra £50 for a 6000TL.

I'm still a little flabbergasted! In 2 days you've halved the quote whilst increasing the system by 25%! :T

Mart.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure