Solar Quotes

Options

Comments

• nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had mine installed nearly a month ago. Had quotes ranging from 5500 to 7000 and one at 9000 - I told them they were far too expensive and they were the only ones that kept calling.
    Liked the company I liked the company at 7000 but couldn't justify the cost. Waited a couple of weeks and they had reduced the price to 6000 including a monitor (and 5% because I asked). They installed in a week after the order. Scaffolding one day installation the next and all went smoothly.
  • mavii
    mavii Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With all the issues about pushy salesmen and the hardsell, I'm actually struggling to get people to contact me to quote.

I contacted one company several weeks ago and another two on Monday asking for quotes, but I've not heard from any of them - are things so good they don't need business??

These were all local firms - can anyone recommend a regional (Herts) or nationwide company I could contact?

Thanks
  • pw22
    pw22 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mavii,

Will send you a message with details of a company that I used 18months ago.

Regards
  • mavii
    Options
    Thanks pw22.
  • mavii
    Options
    Hi

So I've had another quote and I'm not sure I'm any clearer.

I had TP Solar quote - they responded quickly to my inquiry and came round at short notice which is a good start.

They have suggested a system of 14 Trina Solar 270W panels with Enphase micro inverters for 6,450 including an iBoost.

I have two questions:
    1. It's the first time anyone has suggested micro inverters, but they sound good for reducing the impact of shading and not having to have an inverter anywhere in the house. Any thoughts?
    2. I've gone back to question why they suggested the system above when they have a larger 4Kw Q Cell system with micro inverters that would be 5,900 with iBoost - any idea why that would be better?

Like a school teacher, I've sent back their calculations of payback (just wrong) and questioned their projections of output as well.

As before, I really appreciate your thoughts,
    mavii
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mavii wrote: »
    Hi

So I've had another quote and I'm not sure I'm any clearer.

I had TP Solar quote - they responded quickly to my inquiry and came round at short notice which is a good start.

They have suggested a system of 14 Trina Solar 270W panels with Enphase micro inverters for 6,450 including an iBoost.

I have two questions:
    1. It's the first time anyone has suggested micro inverters, but they sound good for reducing the impact of shading and not having to have an inverter anywhere in the house. Any thoughts?
    2. I've gone back to question why they suggested the system above when they have a larger 4Kw Q Cell system with micro inverters that would be 5,900 with iBoost - any idea why that would be better?

Like a school teacher, I've sent back their calculations of payback (just wrong) and questioned their projections of output as well.

As before, I really appreciate your thoughts,
    mavii

Is that TP Solar of Wellingborough?
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • mavii
    Options
    Yes it is theboylard, have you used them or heard about them?
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm...

Yes, they did my installation in March this year.
    Happy enough with the price and the work, but they dismissed my concerns re chimney shadow, which is clearly justified by my generation falling off a cliff early afternoon.

I also know they have let some of their better people go recently.

If you use them, push them hard on the price, I know they have leeway ��
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Has anyone dealt with Energy Hypermarket? Their rep quoted £9075 for a ten panel system with voltage optimiser. Unfortunately the paperwork doesn't give specific details of the panels proposed. The surveyor was here today and we will apparently get a phone call towards the end of next week going over the figures and confirming installation date. Both the rep and the surveyor seemed genuine enough but having seen some prices quoted I am now wondering if their quote is a bit high?
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The system would be financed by a loan payable over 15 years with the option to make extra repayments at any time. We are in County Durham and the roof is east facing. From the paperwork the peak output is 2.5 kWp,estimated system output 1411kWh/year.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport