PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Things you should not do...

Options

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My husband did something like that!

We've got one of those garden incinerators that's like a metal dustbin with a chimney in the lid. He poured some lighter fuel on the wood, lit the fire and put the lid on.
    Shortly afterwards, I heard a massive bang. The fumes in the enclosed space had ignited and propelled the lid up. He said it went higher than the top of the house, before landing a few feet away!

What is it with men and their dangerous ideas?
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    Do not absentmindedly wipe a wet cloth over the set top box thinking you were holding a duster, I got an electric shock.:o
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • 1of3
    1of3 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    115K wrote: »
    Do not absentmindedly wipe a wet cloth over the set top box thinking you were holding a duster, I got an electric shock.:o

Was there something loose? Shouldn't be anything exposed to give you a shock. Might need to get box checked?
    NOT BUYING IT 2018!

Consumerism is.....buying things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't know and probably wouldn't like even if you did know them.
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    This is an amazing thread!

My best one is probably don't get distracted by your mum on the phone when you've just put oil in a pan to heat up for cooking mince. She will likely panic when you say 'is it a wet towel over an oil fire, yeah? ok back in a minute'
    BF at the time came home to the pan on the doorstep and a smell of smoke haha
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lynsayjane wrote: »
    This is an amazing thread!

My best one is probably don't get distracted by your mum on the phone when you've just put oil in a pan to heat up for cooking mince. She will likely panic when you say 'is it a wet towel over an oil fire, yeah? ok back in a minute'
    BF at the time came home to the pan on the doorstep and a smell of smoke haha

I did that once too! Luckily I'd bought a fire blanket from ikea the week before (serendipitous really as it was a spur-of-the-moment purchase and I'd never owned one in my life before that!). I dropped the phone, put the fire blanket on and took it outside - came back and my Dad was still chatting away, he hadn't even noticed I'd suddenly disappeared! :rotfl:
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    1of3 wrote: »
    Was there something loose? Shouldn't be anything exposed to give you a shock. Might need to get box checked?

Oh yikes, really. It's in an upstairs room and we barely use it. Will have to check it, thanks.x
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Waffle_On wrote: »
    Don't immediately follow chopping chillies with a shower.
    Or rubbing your eyes. When you have contact lenses.

Don't put a nice big joint of pork in the oven before nipping up the town........ then deciding on a whim to go to London for the day :doh:. 12 hours later...... :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • betony
    betony Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't put down a teatowel on a just turned off electric hotplate. It will burn. I've done this at least twice now. My OH thinks I'm a bit of a pyromaniac...
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never use "just a little tiny bit of petrol" to get a bonfire going in the rain, which is what my ex once did. There was an almighty bang and several panes of glass in the nearest windows cracked, which made it a very expensive bonfire.

My Dad did that once to "help get the fire going" and spilt some on his jeans. He managed to set himself on fire and had to roll on the ground to put himself out. Afterwards he told me that it wasn't the fire that scared him as such, but the book of matches that he had in his front pocket and the effect they would have on the "family jewels" if they exploded...we have not let him near fire or matches since!!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst reading this thread last night and having a bit of a chuckle, my OH appeared from the kitchen rather shame-faced! He had just immersed the base of my electric steamer in the washing up bowl. He confessed to having a very senior moment.

I gave it a blast with the hairdryer and will leave for a few days to make sure the electrics have totally dried before I risk plugging in again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport