PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Things you should not do...

Options

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do not wash your waxed jacket in the washing machine on a 60 degree programme.

Ruined jacket and a washing machine drum covered in wax!

Loving this thread.
  • cinnamonpie
    Options
    Don't try to boil an egg in a bowl of water in the microwave, thinking it will heat up the water which will cook the egg. Unless of course you love cleaning exlpoded egg from every single kitchen surface.

Also make sure you read the instructions on packets. Mistaking teaspoons for tablespoons resulted in a LOT of gravy that night.

I also know of a student who put a tinned Fray Bentos pie in the oven without taking the lid off. It exploded all over the kitchen amd broke the oven too.
    March GC £122.25/ £120
    April GC £109.83/ £65
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My dad didn't want to 'waste' money on car wash detergent so decided to use my mum's shampoo when washing the windscreen. The next day we were parked in a country lane admiring the view and wasps began to land on the windscreen until it was almost covered. It was like a horror movie!
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put garlic bread in the toaster!
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • mobo1980
    mobo1980 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Dont put oh £100 top in the washing machine if it's dry clean only also then don't reorder the same top and put the new one in the charity bag thinking it was the shrunken one - double oops !!
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Don't try to boil an egg in a bowl of water in the microwave, thinking it will heat up the water which will cook the egg. Unless of course you love cleaning exlpoded egg from every single kitchen surface.

It's also an idea not to try boiling it in the kettle.... my grandad ruined more than one kettle this way haha
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't spray wd40 onto the teeth of a paper shredder! I did this a few weeks ago, as our shredder wasn't working properly and I'd heard that you're supposed to oil it to keep it running smoothly, so I thought that would save me having to buy a new one. I sprayed across the teeth, left it for a few minutes then switched it on, immediately there was a very loud bang, sparks & smoke coming from it and me almost having a heart attack from the fright it gave me, lol! After taking it out into the garden, (in case the paper inside it had been set on fire by the sparks), I texted OH to tell him that it definitely needed replacing, lol!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't cook lentil soup in a pressure cooker and flick open the steam pressure valve with a fork at end of cooking time to try and reduce the pressure more quickly. The entire pan of soup emptied itself within seconds all over the kitchen ceiling and walls. We had to redecorate and I was lucky not to be badly scalded. It was the first time I had ever used a pressure cooker and it was a very long time before I plucked up courage to use it again :eek:
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 August 2014 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Do NOT put chestnuts into a microwave without slitting the skins first. They explode and will kill your microwave

And always label plastic bags you put in the freezer. You think you will remember what it is but but you won't!! I once pulled out a gelatinous yellowish looking bag and threw it into a soup mixture thinking it was chicken stock. It was actually yellow gooseberry purree !
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Don't attempt to open a door with a mug of hot tea in one hand and a mobile phone in the other. And definitely don't balance the mobile on top of the mug whilst turning the knob........... splash!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport