Couch to 5k Running - Part Four Beginners Running

Options

Comments

• EasyAs123
    EasyAs123 Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning all.

I just did week 1, day 1 on a treadmill.

Got a 5k in November - 14 weeks and counting.

According to the treadmill, today was 2 miles in 30 minutes, 8 minutes of which was running (well, jogging) and the rest fast walking.

Fast walking for me is 3.5 mph, and jogging 5.5, running 6.5 or 7.

If I can do 2 miles, 5k is 3 miles, should be doable. :j
  • Sessie
    Sessie Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LOL Fufu.. I think I'll be a while before I'm at that point!

My sis in law does a few 10ks (though she admitted at the kids' party at the weekend that it's not all running, it's some running, some walking!) and her other half is a bit nervous about her running alone at night in the winter so if I can keep going with the C25k and get my distance up, we might go running together on winter nights for safety. I'm just a bit worried about being too slow for her....

I'm determined to keep it going once the dark nights come. I have two days a week where I'm not at work but the children are at school so I can run in the daytime then, but another night or two would be good also.
    Sealed Pot 5 number 1544
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    Sessie - i find i'm faster with others than on my own!

I managed W6R1 yesterday, going to do W6R2 tonight..
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    Week 6 completed! Week 7 starts tomorrow, looking forward to moving onto 5 - 10K training in a few weeks time!
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    I've started doing this again. I did it once before, then through a combination of a sprained ankle and laziness I stopped running regularly and lost the fitness I'd built up. Recently I decided to do it again from the beginning to build back up, however unlike last time I'm not sticking strictly to 3 week 1 runs, then moving to 3 week 2 runs etc. I want to work on being able to go a bit faster as well, so I'm doing more runs for each "week" and only moving up once I can keep the speed up throughout and feel it is becoming too easy, not just because I've done that week.

I'm doing week 2 just now. I'll probably do that for at least part of next week as well, then move up depending how I feel.
  • EasyAs123
    EasyAs123 Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi CC.

I'm starting week 2 soon. I want to start my new week on a Friday, run Saturday, then try and fit the other one in at some point in the week. If I try to commit to every other day, something will come up at work or home and I'll give up...

I've just found out there's a 2k in September near me. I want to try and run it - I've never run outside, and I'm doing further comfortably (if slowly), but *gulps*
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ahhhhh here you all are - was looking for a thread like that :)

So heloooooooooooooooooooo.

Got all ready to start tomorrow morning.

No idea how to count the time walking and the time running and when to switch (terribly unfit, will probably CRAWL big part) and complete lemon about "apps". Got a Samsung Galaxy Mini 4 - can anyone advise? No i_tunes, my stupid computer refuses to run those.. sighhhhh

Starting weight 77kg (shock horror as I am only 152cm short) - long term goal down to 55kg (yeah, rite) but short term to get under 70kg mark.

Someone posted that cycling burns more calories than walking? At what speed/heart rate and how far? I am talking about home exercise bike... that in between running.. Hmmmm Ambitious to start with ;)

Good luck everyone and fingers crossed xx
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 August 2014 at 10:35PM
    Options
    Oh, here cycling and running are compared.... :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50663-running-vs.-cycling-weight-loss/

Oh dear.. just done 2 MINUTES on my brand new exercise bike and completely out of breath - and this was just 10 calories.....legs shaking

I will NEVER look at a chocolate bar again in the way I was before... LOL
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2014 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Getting ready - I don't know about how to get the app for that phone, but there's also a free mp3 podcast download on the NHS Couch to 5K site, it should work on anything that can play mp3. Both app and podcast tell you when to run and when to walk so you don't need to think about timings. And don't worry, you'll gradually get fitter and be able to do more!

Does anyone else ever get this? Often when I'm running, so is my nose!

Generally there's just a fair bit of sniffing goes on, and when it's bad I have to take tissues with me to blow my nose while running along. Why? I do wish it wouldn't!
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CupOfChai - thanks, seen the nhs website but would not have a slightest clue how to move the mp3 from pc to my phone.

I have an ipod but never ever used it.. ermmm :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport