Couch to 5k Running - Part Four Beginners Running

Options

Comments

• Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    My runs vary, Mon evenings and then. Wed,Thurs and sun am. My husband goes to work at 5am so I'm awake and prefer to get my run out of the way. That said I'm trying to get into evening runs more and am enjoying them.

sometimes I take water with me it depends on how organised I am. I don't often need it.

I run both off road and pavements, making the most of off road while its dry and it will be impossible / too dark in the winter
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Richard and Gonzo, it is very helpful.

Another one - how long before or after run do you eat and what? Light meal? Just a drink?

I am not just looking into this run, I also try to look at generally improving health so looking at different angles to achieve it.

I got a GP referral to the gym which is helpful - had my first meeting already and will be going twice per week for an hour (Tuesday and Thursday) to try to get a bit into shape with qualified trainers so no risk of damaging myself trying to do too much too soon.

I have an exercise bike at home - only manage to do 5 minutes on it at a time... but slowly getting there.

So naturally the next thing to look at is food intake.

I do not eat meat at all and avoid dairy as much as I can. My FOOD is always good quality but unfortunately my chocolate/biscuits addiction is massive and does not help. So need to address that.

Looking into juices/smoothies for morning/evening meals.

Used to follow https://www.myfitnesspal.com some time ago - that was great, recommend to anyone who needs like me to keep tabs on their food/exercise. Just about to sign up again.

Coffee - another big weakness BUT got some nocaf from Holland and Barret and it actually tastes not bad at all. Got 2 versions, one is called "wake up" and another "no caf". I have it with soya milk (avoiding dairy).

Right - looking at the above, looks like I should perhaps start my own diary on here and wait for friendly people to kick my back side and keep me in shape ;)
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    I don't really eat or drink before a morning run. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do or not but works for me.

I'm about to embark on a vegan diet to try and help get my eating under control. Lots of porridge, soup and curries on the agenda! Might start a diary too!

not running today as travelling home later and I'm exhausted, I don't sleep well away from home. Might do W8R3 tomorrow.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gonzo - I gave up meat in December 2012 and frankly never missed it.
    Would love to give up diary too but that one is difficult. I use soya milk and soya "butter" but things like cheese, sour cream, yogurts etc are difficult.

Anyway, started my own rambling diary now.. pop in ;)
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Off for my first "run".. will update here - if anyone cares to join me ;)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5046494
  • browneyedbazzi
    Options
    gettingready - I haven't actually started yet so have no personal experience of eating before/after runs, but advice from my partner who is a keen runner (sub-3 hour marathon, eek!) is not to eat for 2 hours before a run. If you eat too soon before a run and push it at all you may get an upset stomach. If you are really hungry and need to eat then something that's really easy to digest like a banana should be ok. My partner also wouldn't drink during a 30 minute run - if you are properly hydrated going into it then you really shouldn't need to.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    for what it's worth

Do you run in the mornings or evenings?
    Either, depending on job & weather.

Do you run on pavement or grass areas?
    Sometimes country roads (which are undulating/hilly) & sometimes a 5km park trail (which is flat and a mix of tarmac/gravel)

Do you carry water with you?
    No, but usually drink at least 500ml in the hour before running. On long runs (> 60 minutes) I tend to munch a few jelly babies on the way round for extra energy.

Any stretching before/after?
    Yes definitely, usually jog super slowly for a couple of minutes interspersed with half a dozen or so stretches & same thing at the end of the run. I also foam roll a couple of times a week whilst watching tv. For me it massively reduces stiffness.

how long before or after run do you eat and what? Light meal? Just a drink?
    I'd usually consume 30-60 mins before running any of cereal, bananas, porridge, diluted fruit juice, coffee. Post run definitely drink immediately water (or cordial like robinsons barely water) and then eat as usual i.e. whenever suits.

I think the thing is to find what works for you - some people swear coffee pre-run helps them, other despise it. No right or wrong just experiment a bit. Some swear by chocolate milk post run, personally no thanks.
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2014 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Do you run in the mornings or evenings?

Evenings, after work, before doing the dinner. That is when I run at all, I really struggle with getting myself to go out there. Didn't go at all last week! I could have very easily gone yesterday too with being off work, but it was raining... I think if I could have a treadmill at home I'd do it much more, it seems like I just don't like going outdoors!

Do you run on pavement or grass areas?

Pavement.

Do you carry water with you?

No. I drink a glass of water before I go out and then have 1-2 glasses when I finish, and then I don't need to take any while I'm out.

Any stretching before/after? No idea about that - is the 5 min warm up/cool down walk enough?

I don't, I just do some walking, don't find I need extra stretches. Once I was fit and regularly doing the 30 minutes I didn't need to do a whole 5 minutes walk either. I did find when I first did the programme, it could be little bit achy at some places while getting used to it. I think of it as my leg muscles growing! Then once they'd grown and I'd got more used to it I didn't get achy any more or need to stretch.

How long before or after do you eat?

I run late afternoon when I finish work, so a few hours after lunch, and it's before I start making the tea and doing other jobs round the house, so probably about 1-2 hours before tea. I don't snack before or after, I'm often peckish but I have to wait for my proper dinner!
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Guys, just to update I ran Monday, so plan on running Wed..thought I'd found myself a partner then Gettingready when you said you were starting the same day as me ;) ..but good luck in your thread :-)

Was a lot easier this time then last time (I started it in June but quit because of pain in my legs and then never went back) and I had proper trainers on this time (well better ones then before still not gait ones but can't afford that yet) and didn't even have pain today...although I did go on an hour walk today with the kids/park etc and by time I got back I really felt it..usually I would of been ok :-)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, just to update I ran Monday, so plan on running Wed..thought I'd found myself a partner then Gettingready when you said you were starting the same day as me ;) ..but good luck in your thread :-)

Was a lot easier this time then last time (I started it in June but quit because of pain in my legs and then never went back) and I had proper trainers on this time (well better ones then before still not gait ones but can't afford that yet) and didn't even have pain today...although I did go on an hour walk today with the kids/park etc and by time I got back I really felt it..usually I would of been ok :-)

If you want free gait analysis check out the Decathlon at Wednesbury, near Ikea (I noticed you were in the Midlands).

It's free if you have a Decathlon card, which is free as well and you can register for it in store and have the analysis straight away.

The lad in the running department seems to know his stuff and sorted my wife out a pair of trainers for about £40 which have seen a fair few miles.

There is also a Decathlon in Coventry if that is closer but i don't know what that is like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure