🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Looms

Options

Comments

• alias*alibi
    alias*alibi Posts: 552 Forumite
    Options
    gingin wrote: »
    IMG-20140622-WA0001.jpg

Hope this works - Counting pennies, that's my daughter's handiwork. You can do them in different styles but she's just mastered this one

Bought rainbow loom for my DD and I've kinda taken over it. I've mastered the starburst and the flower one. DD's got loads if fishtail and ladder ones she's done herself too.

Anybody thinking about buying one I would say def spend the extra money getting the real rainbow loom. It can bit taken off its blocks to make different bracelets and comes with a metal hook. We tried a cheaper version previously and it was rubbish and very frustrating!

Back to my looms I go ..... :-)
  • alias*alibi
    alias*alibi Posts: 552 Forumite
    Options
    Battybird wrote: »
    Just wondering why are schools banning them?

Kids arguing over them?
    No jewellery allowed in schools?
    Health and safety in case they slip on elastic bands?

Seems a shame.

Nope, due to selling the looms to class mates. My DD's school haven't banned them but can only wear one to school.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    So tonight I sat and organised several hundred bands into colour order into a little set of drawers I picked up for 50p in the charity shop.
    Sad, but therapeutic...:D

10435125_10154274981975654_6684400212376374829_n.jpg
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I am so envious - all mine are in plastic bags and kept in a wicker basket which once housed bath products.
    but, it really is therapeutic to 'sort out the bands' - I must look for something similar!
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So tonight I sat and organised several hundred bands into colour order into a little set of drawers I picked up for 50p in the charity shop.
    Sad, but therapeutic...:D

10435125_10154274981975654_6684400212376374829_n.jpg

That is brilliant. My kids keep them in plastic tub. Will now need to look out for little drawers.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • pulliptears
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    I am so envious - all mine are in plastic bags and kept in a wicker basket which once housed bath products.
    but, it really is therapeutic to 'sort out the bands' - I must look for something similar!

Problem is it's not really big enough to hold all the bands so we still have bags. When a colour is low we'll top it up :D
  • pulliptears
    Options
    Something like this would be ideal actually and at £22.99 probably worth it to get the little bits off the floor...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/44-drawer-organizer-storage-cabinet-dimensions-510-x-307-x-147mm-nd82d

44-drawer-organizer-storage-cabinet-dimensions-510-x-307-x-147mm.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o=IbAcklQqQvDUL2lE1JnPFbFaCO4j&V=mEDB
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Made my first basic bracelet last night :D

:eek: took me half an hour to get my head around it :o so respect to the kids that know what they're doing!

I'm going to attempt one a bit more complicated tonight!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    well done! now keep practicing the basic one until your fingers 'remember' what to do. then move up to the more complex ones. there is a 'principle' behind the method - once you understand that, it becomes much easier.
    Did you use the loom or finger or fork method?
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Battybird wrote: »
    Just wondering why are schools banning them?

Kids arguing over them?
    No jewellery allowed in schools?
    Health and safety in case they slip on elastic bands?

Seems a shame.

I teach at secondary level. I have had kids sit in my class making the darned things - focused on that, not on what I'm trying to teach. I've had to deal with the little darlings flicking them at each other, stealing them, swapping them, giving them away, and generally being obnoxious towards each other with the 'I'll make one for her but not for you as you're not my friend' rubbish. So finally, when we were all run ragged with it, the Head banned them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport