ESA, DLA and PIP chaos - DWP overturning more than half of it's own decisions on MR..

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2014 at 5:37PM
    Options
    jlawrence wrote: »
    Poppie, I am not!! My name is not Andy as I have pointed out so many times. The only benefit that I have ever claimed was ESA recently, given that we had almost used up all of our savings and needed an income. You know full well what the situation is with the £100,000 - it is held in a deposit account by the bank as security for the repayment in 2020 of the £100,000 interest only mortgage we have on our new home. The DWP in their wisdom have told me that I cannot claim ESA as we have substantial savings and should start spending the £100.000 to live off and worry about the ability to pay the mortgage off when the time comes.

Tell me Andy, how come you were imprisoned for benefit fraud if you have never claimed any benefits?

Also if you have paid tax and NI for more than 40 years how come you were earning enough to do so aged 14?

I would have thought that after having had your mortgage for 4 years on this house it would no longer be called new?

:beer:
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cbrown372 wrote: »

Also if you have paid tax and NI for more than 40 years how come you were earning enough to do so aged 14?

:beer:

I thought you only paid tax and NI once you turned 16? Assuming you earn enough, that is.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i dont know about NI ( i was only issued with an NI number when i was 18) but there is no lower age limit for paying tax ... just a lower earnings limit that until you earn over that amount you dont pay tax
  • 1234mas430
    1234mas430 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I started work in 1972 aged 15yrs & paid NI, I earned £10 per week
    & was classed as "Self Employed" as a P&D on site.

Hate to say it ...but those were the days (Lol)
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    1973. 16.
    £10.49 less 57p NI = £9.92. DHSS.
  • Scully38
    Scully38 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I put my pip form in last Christmas, got a rejection letter saying no, then out of the blue a few weeks ago received a letter from Atos asking me to come in for a face to face assessment.

When I went into the room, the assessor explained that it didn't have any other documentation that I provided except for a copy of my debit card that I used ask confirmation of my ID i'd given to the receptionist not 10 minutes before!

He said to me sometimes it was better this way as there weren't any 'preconceived thoughts'. So all those painstaking reports I gathered and the form I spent weeks putting together with the help of CAB was for absolutely nothing.

He asked for some information, medication, daily life, hospitals, work etc, he showed me his scar from an operation he had (not sure if this was to show understanding, or what the reason was to be honest), but I didn't get out of the room for just over two hours. Don't know if that's a good sign or not tbh, but what worries me is how this will affect me if i'm turned down if they don't have my application form? Will it just be based on what i've said during interview? He asked how long i'd been waiting (I didn't tell them that they already refused me 6 months ago), I just said that i'd applied just after Christmas, he told me it shouldn't be too much longer to wait for a decision (approximately 8 weeks).

So, don't really know where I stand on this issue if they refused me, but I turned up for the assessment... Can they refuse just based on the face to face or will I end up having to go through the whole thing again?

I'm soooo confused.
    Everything I know, I've learned from Judge Judy. :p

"I have no life, that's why i'm interfering in yours." :p
  • Janti
    Options
    In april14 I was awarded pip enhanced care standard mobility I'd had a small stroke I have pots and r/a I was awarded this till 2016 I was really happy with but in June 2014 I was back on stroke ward with a suspected stroke but turned out to b viral infection wich caused me brain fog loss of feeling to right side and great fatigue ect my walking was slow and severe dizzy spells I applied for a blue badge but council turned me down saying I had insufficient mobility award points and I should contact dwp I rang atos in august14 explaining this I told them my care part had not changed only needed few more points more for mobility they told me to re apply for pip but not fill out care part not once did they at this part offer me a madnitory reconsiseration on mobility part only that way I'd of not lost my 411, a month I filled the form out posted it months went by id ring to b told not to worry ect then February 15 I had to be reassesd my husband accompanied me I was asked to stand touch toes I had to drop to chair severe dizziness hit me she asked me to do other forms of exercise all of wich I couldn't do I was asked to spell world backward I explained I couldbt do it forward nor bk thanks to stroke some things I find hard like managing money my husband does this ,, I'm also helped in out of shower and hair washed in case I faint I go up down stairs on bum,, I' cnt b trusted cooking twice I've put oil in oven forgot to put potatoes in fallen asleep woken to smoke alarms my husband helps dress me we were both honest with her a week later I recieve my new award she had awarded me 6 points as to my previous 18 I'd lost everything she said I could communicate spell manage money could cook a meal and care for myself I don't go anywhere alone incase I pass out I get confused easily how could she lie !!!! I rang them in tears they weren't interested I've since involved cab who has wrote on my behalf they done a pretend assement of his own on me compared to atos one I was well over 18 points I also have my local mp looking into this for me I'm at my wits end I don't know why I could have it all taken from me and why they made me apply again in the August im praying with cab and MPs input the reconsideration will go my way has anyone had this happen what was out come and how long will I have to wait
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you didn't re apply ... you asked for a supersession ( for your award to be looked at again because of a change of circumstances/worsening condition)
    they couldn't do a mandatory reconsideration as you asked more than a month after the initial decision was made.
    there is always a risk that you can lose the award you already have.
    it seems like you are doing the right thing regarding an appeal, so all you can really do is gather as much evidence as possible and wait
  • Freshstart2012
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I can't help you with any of the questions you have, somebody with more knowledge will be along with some advice for you soon.
    I just wanted to say that I hope that you get what you are entitled to ASAP.
  • Janti
    Options
    they took all my award so i dont have any now gutted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills