ESA, DLA and PIP chaos - DWP overturning more than half of it's own decisions on MR..

Options

Comments

• enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    Options
    jga1940 wrote: »
    I don't think that will be possible, I'm 73 years of age now and in chronic health, so be lucky to see 75 let alone 93 :eek:
    Of course you will see 93. Benefits and work bods are notoriously tough. I would be surprised if you didn't make 100.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2014 at 10:09AM
    Options
    I have often seen reference to the majority of JSA sanctions being overturned on appeal and it seems that's not quite correct according to my research.

The success lies in persuading the Job Centre to change their mind, exactly as the thread title suggests.

So that's 46% success at the review stage and 18% at the appeal stage.

Or put another way, the appeal tribunals agree with the sanction 82% of the time.

That error rate is nothing to be proud of. The private workers are funding these state worker errors and the wages of the extra staff needed to look at their own errors.

This failure rate wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector, but I bet the nothing happens to these state workers who fail, because the taxpayer keeps paying for their mistakes?

Private companies would either sack the staff who made a mistake that cost the company money, or give them one written warning and then sacked on their next mistake. The quicker the DWP is privatised, the better for everyone.

EDIT Out of interest:-
    Is the benefit money stopped while these sanctions are looked at by other staff in the DWP? If it is, are other state workers involved in feeding, giving loans to these claimants who have incorrectly had their benefit stopped?

Does this effect other benefits? If it does, then that's a lot more staff needed in other benefits departments, to deal with DWP errors.

Is there any compensation for the claimants when DWP staff make these errors?
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• Horseunderwater
    Options
    I know when I was a civil servant years back in the 90's, we did get written warnings & verbal warnings, then if no improvement they used to kick you out the door. Procedures had to be followed, unions often involved etc. But people were given more extra chances, like all work audited for mistakes to make sure more errors did not occur. But if there were still problems then yes they did get the boot.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2014 at 6:58PM
    Options
    That error rate is nothing to be proud of.

It's not an error rate and I'm not claiming anything to be proud of.

As I said to you before someone's reason for resigning from their job; reason for not applying for a job; reason for not attending an interview...that sort of thing....these are what most sanctions are about.

It's not right or wrong. It's not legal or illegal. It's not black or white.

Are you wrong if you think a movie was good then you see the film critic in the paper gives it one star?
    This failure rate wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector,
    You mean that private sector that keeps losing millions upon millions on one IT fiasco after another. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • snownose
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    I think this post has some merit.

I am in a PIP area, and we should have had a PIP form on renewal but was sent a DLA form.
    No it is not my name, those of you on PIP at the moment will be the only ones, it is all going to revert back to DLA, this is why people who are applying for PIP are being send DLA forms out. We have had to stop all the contracts with the Doctors, because we can not hold appeals.

My DLA award runs out in September, and in early June I was sent a PIP form to claim that instead. ATOS have said to me that it will take 12-16 weeks before I have an appointment with them.
  • jlawrence
    jlawrence Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    After reading the 266 posts I do seriously wonder why people would want to put themselves through all of this. We have taken the decision not to make such a claim simply from what we have read on this site.
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    jlawrence wrote: »
    After reading the 266 posts I do seriously wonder why people would want to put themselves through all of this. We have taken the decision not to make such a claim simply from what we have read on this site.

Some people, myself included, have to put themselves through all of this because they need help with care and mobility and cannot afford to pay for the help they need without an award for PIP. I want to get a part-time job but until I (hopefully) am awarded PIP I can't afford the help I need to enable me to go to work every day. I have been offered a job which I am desperate to take but without being able to pay for someone to come in daily to help me wash and dress there is no way I can take this or any job. As I am only able to work part-time (25 hours/week) I will not be earning enough to cover my care needs as well as rent, bills, etc. I will be losing most of my housing benefit and won't be able to claim WTC as I'm not going to be doing enough hours. That is why I have put myself through this - 51 weeks today since I first claimed!
  • Alex_Shafner
    Alex_Shafner Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    jlawrence wrote: »

Sites like this only tell you the bad stories. When I claimed ESA I waited 12 weeks. I was placed in the Support Group without a medical.

I think some people have massive issues because they don't fill the forms out properly and they don't provide any or not enough evidence.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sites like this only tell you the bad stories. When I claimed ESA I waited 12 weeks. I was placed in the Support Group without a medical.

I think some people have massive issues because they don't fill the forms out properly and they don't provide any or not enough evidence.

He's lying anyway....the truth be told Andy the troll most probably claims everything he can....even if he's not eligible for them..He's always got £100,000 or so lying around, again truth be told he hasn't got to pennies to rub together..he always says he can't be bothered to claim or he refuses to claim or give them information.
    One day he will join the land of the lucid and grown-up's!
  • jlawrence
    jlawrence Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    He's lying anyway....the truth be told Andy the troll most probably claims everything he can....even if he's not eligible for them..He's always got £100,000 or so lying around, again truth be told he hasn't got to pennies to rub together..he always says he can't be bothered to claim or he refuses to claim or give them information.
    One day he will join the land of the lucid and grown-up's!

Poppie, I am not!! My name is not Andy as I have pointed out so many times. The only benefit that I have ever claimed was ESA recently, given that we had almost used up all of our savings and needed an income. You know full well what the situation is with the £100,000 - it is held in a deposit account by the bank as security for the repayment in 2020 of the £100,000 interest only mortgage we have on our new home. The DWP in their wisdom have told me that I cannot claim ESA as we have substantial savings and should start spending the £100.000 to live off and worry about the ability to pay the mortgage off when the time comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure