The Alternative Millionaire

Options
gothrockchic1
gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
edited 2 August 2014 at 4:02PM in Boost your income
So I have been evaluating my life and have been doing some soul searching. I have never been successful at anything in the whole 32 years of my life. I have been in the same job for the past nine years. I have been stuck in a rut. Until recently..

So this thread is my journey to become a millionaire by July 2021, my 40th birthday. So I have over seven years to “make it”.

A little about me, I work in an “Admin” job. I have a few weeks left of an evening course in Human Resources which is hopefully a foot in the door as most jobs require experience. This thread is called the Alternative Millionaire as I belong to an Alternative subculture, so in other words I am a Goth/Punk/Em/Metaller.

I will break it down year by year. So my goals for this year is to:

Reduce spending by writing a spending diary (will start July)
To budget better.
Increase my salary by 25% Increased by 2.5%
Have £10,000 in savings
Start a house/flat fund
Fill my ISA and eventually update my ISA to Stocks and Shares
Adopt a frugal lifestyle for the next two years.
Get a cash back credit card Done
Take a course in Excel (for budgeting purposes)
Pay off 0% credit card (ends July 2014) Done

So this is my story. Let's do this!

Comments

• CornishOptimist
    Options
    Hi GRC,

I am also relatively new to this so its nice to see someone in the same boat!
    I am roughly 12 months into my journey with some but not all of this years goals achieved. If I may, here is some advice for you:

Your own mentality can be your best friend and your worst enemy dont beat yourself up if you fall short on something.

Use the old MSE addage "do I need it? Will I use it?" It will help you make savings.

dont be too proud to ask for advice, knowledge is power.

Good Luck GLC

CO
  • gothrockchic1
    Options
    Thank you Cornish! Good luck in your journey as well.
  • gothrockchic1
    Options
    So I have had a look at some free online e-courses tonight. Alison and Coursera have interesting courses on achieving success (which will get me into the mindset), Excel and Powerpoint courses.

So I will sign up to one of those today and get started. I'll have a look at the library for books to read as well.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck with your journey, I've subscribed and look forward to reading about your journey :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Look forward to watching your progress and cheering you on from the sidelines.

Good luck with the HR course.
  • noirist
    noirist Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You sounds very determined and I wish you luck on your journey. :)

Can someone tell me how to subscribe to a thread, because this one interests me. Ta. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I worked it out. For any one else interested it's "Thread Tools" on the header of the OP's post.
  • gothrockchic1
    Options
    Thank you katykicker, Lessonlearned and noirist for your support, it means a lot.

Today has been a good day, a NSD today, first one for the month.

I got some of my college work back but I missed something out so I will do that tonight. Also I will continue on my Alison course I started last night. I think this month will be a learning month. Also I plan to apply for jobs too :D
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    So I have been evaluating my life and have been doing some soul searching. I have never been successful at anything in the whole 32 years of my life. I have been in the same job for the past nine years. I have been stuck in a rut. Until recently..

So this thread is my journey to become a millionaire by July 2021, my 40th birthday. So I have over seven years to “make it”.

A little about me, I work in an “Admin” job. I have a few weeks left of an evening course in Human Resources which is hopefully a foot in the door as most jobs require experience. This thread is called the Alternative Millionaire as I belong to an Alternative subculture, so in other words I am a Goth/Punk/Em/Metaller.

I will break it down year by year. So my goals for this year is to:

Reduce spending by writing a spending diary (will start July)
    To budget better.
    Increase my salary by 25%
    Have £10,000 in savings
    Start a house/flat fund
    Fill my ISA and eventually update my ISA to Stocks and Shares
    Adopt a frugal lifestyle for the next two years.
    Get a cash back credit card
    Take a course in Excel (for budgeting purposes)
    Pay off 0% credit card (ends July 2014)

So this is my story. Let's do this!

Out of curiosity- how are you going to define becoming a millionaire? Will you include debts paid off, any future house you may own etc? Or, are you aiming for a million pounds as free cash?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• gothrockchic1
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Out of curiosity- how are you going to define becoming a millionaire? Will you include debts paid off, any future house you may own etc? Or, are you aiming for a million pounds as free cash?

Morning Wizzbang! I hope to have a million pounds of assets via stocks, shares, property etc. That means no debt. Of course I want to have cash as part of that as well :)
  • magic57
    magic57 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will follow this thread with interest gothrockchic1. Like many others I dream of making some extra money and try to find ways to do it. I wish you lots of luck and I'm sure you will achieve your aim.
    I disagree though when you say in your first thread that you have never been successful at anything. You have held a job for nine years which shows you are relaible and have sticking power! You are already a success but I wish you luck in becoming even more successful and reaching your goal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure