🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Forever Home Fund

Options

Comments

• katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Gally, no names as we don't name the ducks but can definitely see some personalities coming through already :D

We've got one little one who is already trying to break out the pen. OH has already had a cuddle with her and decided that when my parents take their 2 they can't have her :) This from the man who wasn't fussed on getting chickens in the slightest.

It's heart-breaking to see them; we buy free range eggs (when we buy them) and chicken but there is still such an industry for caged eggs which I guess is from the food industry where eggs are used as an ingredient.
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello :hello:

I have just read your diary and wanted to say brilliantly you have done so far. Sounds like you have a lot you want to do to the house and if you are anything like me, that list will constantly be growing :p

The new chickens are very lucky to have such a lovely new 'Mom' Hope they settle in well. I am in awe how you manage to juggle work and the animals.

I wish you well with the journey.

BW :)
  • katep23
    Options
    Hi BW :hello:

We're in for a long haul getting this house how we want it but the great thing is it's ours, it's not listed and I have no qualms about ripping anything out and replacing it. The house was "modernised" in the 1970s and not touched since so everything is very dated (and naff! Corner fireplace with surrounding rockery anyone?)

We're trying to get an idea of what we want so we can plan for heating and electrics but still trying to see what we like and don't like and what is even feasible. OH and his engineer mate get together and come up with some fantastic ideas :eek:

We got 5 eggs from the chickens today :D

Back to work tomorrow, need to make lunch and get an early night.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Your chickens can now settle into their new happy existence. 5 eggs is a great start
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • katep23
    Options
    Thanks Goldie, they are settling in well although one is getting picked on. We've let them in with the ducks so they have more space and the chicken who is being bullied can get away from the rest of them.

I have just transferred some money over to the offset - now have £5K emergency fund plus £5.5k towards the renovation.

Ordered some stuff for my boss from Am@zon and she has given me £6 for the postage (using my Prime membership).

Crazy courier man bought 5 dozen eggs today for £12!

And got notification from £co that £27.50 has been approved - so have made an OP of £45.50 today.

Total OP for the month so far is £79.87 - chipping away!
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    Great emergency fund :] maby the postman loves scrambled eggs hehe

great over payments as well do you have a target to hit on a monthly basis ?
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    katep23 wrote: »
    Thanks Goldie, they are settling in well although one is getting picked on. We've let them in with the ducks so they have more space and the chicken who is being bullied can get away from the rest of them!

Take the main bully and seperate her off for a day or two then reintroduce her. It worked a treat for me.
  • katep23
    Options
    Hi Lucky, as most of our money is going into savings for work on the house, I have agreed with OH I can overpay any extra money I make from TCB, £co, selling stuff etc. I don't really have a target - if I can OP £100 a month I would be happy. Would love to OP £250 a month but that would be difficult.

Once we get the work underway we may agree to OP a bit more.

I worked out tonight that OPing £100 now saves £278 in interest so it makes a huge difference in the long run but now is the time when all our cash is going towards things like the roof.

Thanks OCC, will try that if I can work out who is the worst!

Been out for an hour long walk this evening, feeling pleasantly tired and hope I will sleep well tonight.
  • katep23
    Options
    Another £30 confirmed from £co so will OP that tomorrow.

I've been thinking of OPs and I reckon I need a target to aim for to motivate me. As it's only money I can make by cashback, selling stuff etc it isn't going to be huge but I'm going to set myself a target of £1,800 for a year from 1st April.

This is providing nothing changes in the meantime which means we can make proper OPs. Then I'll readdress it!

Am off out for lunch with team-mates tomorrow but I take lunch in every day so it's allowed.

Got an egg order for half a dozen duck eggs tomorrow at £1.60, OH sold half a dozen today at £1.70 :D

Off to London on Saturday to catch up with my old neighbours - lunch and the theatre, how grown up :cool: Trains are all boogered though so need to work out how best to get there.

Just making OH lunch for tomorrow then off to bed shortly.
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    I think the £100 overpayment is a great amount :] if you did that all year you would save 2-3k in interest wow :]

your selling eggs well great job :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport