We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• vegasvisitor
    Options
    You'll be on your way by now! Safe journey!

I think you'll be just fine. Just do a nice light jog, slow enough so you don't need to walk. It's a challenge that you won't be able to repeat another day so take it easy and have a nice jog and blame the heat if you don't like you're time! That's what I'd do anyway.

My 3k was over 22 mins today, pb for 3k is 19 1/2 I think...so it is a bit slower than in good cool weather! That said, Vegas is mostly nice and flat so that should help too.

Have a great trip and good luck with the run! :T
  • barbarawright
    Options
    Piece of wisdom which I give you for free - if you run as slowly as I do, every race can be a PB!
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    ooo jumping on this again. Last year I trained super hard and got up to running 10 miles. I haven't run in ages, combination of moving home and just not having the motivation, but I miss running, and I miss being able to eat more food too. So next week I'm embarking on a 10k training plan to get me back running 3 times a week regularly, then I'll work up to half marathon distance.
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all,

I would be grateful for your advice please. I was getting back into running in the summer and was doing ok - slow and steady.

I have a 10k to run in 5 weeks but 4 weeks ago I sprained my ankle and have been resting it since then. I went out for a short run yesterday to test my ankle and it wasn't great and my ankle swelled up and is still swollen this morning. I'm doing RICE but would compression socks help?? I'm being realistic in that if it isn't better I'm not doing the race but trying to help it along.

Thanks
    M
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Munchin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would be grateful for your advice please. I was getting back into running in the summer and was doing ok - slow and steady.

I have a 10k to run in 5 weeks but 4 weeks ago I sprained my ankle and have been resting it since then. I went out for a short run yesterday to test my ankle and it wasn't great and my ankle swelled up and is still swollen this morning. I'm doing RICE but would compression socks help?? I'm being realistic in that if it isn't better I'm not doing the race but trying to help it along.

Thanks
    M

If you haven't done so already, you need to get someone to look at your ankle. I've just booked in for a sports massage for Monday. I am not looking forward to it!
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Indie K,

Thanks for your advice - I will get in touch with my old sports therapist on Monday. Massages are worth it but so not pleasant :).
    M
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    How do you guys motivate yourself to get up and go running?
    Whilst I am fairly fit, I find the actual act of running does not motivate me particularly, and as such I have only managed 4 runs since I decided to start in the last month or so. (All 3.5 miles apart from one fell run of 4miles)
    Whilst I enjoyed the fell run I would like to get some mileage under my belt before undertaking more as it was hard work. (Good fun though and will def do some more at some stage)
    My 5k times so far are have been around 24mins, now whilst I would like to get this time down I would also like to increase distance.

So what do you guys do to get yourself out there running?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    How do you guys motivate yourself to get up and go running?
    Whilst I am fairly fit, I find the actual act of running does not motivate me particularly, and as such I have only managed 4 runs since I decided to start in the last month or so. (All 3.5 miles apart from one fell run of 4miles)
    Whilst I enjoyed the fell run I would like to get some mileage under my belt before undertaking more as it was hard work. (Good fun though and will def do some more at some stage)
    My 5k times so far are have been around 24mins, now whilst I would like to get this time down I would also like to increase distance.

So what do you guys do to get yourself out there running?

Joining a club and entering races really helps.

I had my sports amssage yesterday. It really hurt. I now have a bit of a sore bum / hip.:o:(
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • Indie_Kid
    Options
    I've worked out (I think) the reason for part of my pain. My shoes are starting to go. And so, the hunt for size 4 ladies running shoes begins. I have to say I hate this - they don't appear to exist! I can't justify £70+ when they don't last that long either.

Already bought 2 pairs this year. I've mislaid one pair (I don't know how!) and the other pair are on their way out.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Joining a club and entering races really helps.

I'm trying to free up a Sat morning to go and do a park run. Sadly the next sat I have free is in December I think lol.

I have seen a fair few races that are 10k so I guess that I need to see if I can run 10k and then see about entering some of those.

Not sure on joining a club as I do lots of other stuff during the week.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family