The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not been on here for a while - I see you are all still doing well though!

I've not had the same weather issues that some of you have had, heat isn't as bad up in Scotland!! Also, its probably been more off-puttingly wet and even cold at times!

I've still been doing parkrun, and trying to get out during the week but not doing so well at that. Last two weeks I've done a morning and evening session (3k/4k) on the same day as I hadn't managed much more earlier that week. Can feel it on my knees when I do that though, especially yesterday but I played tennis in between so that might be part of the reason.

Parkrun tomorrow morning, and the forecast is awful :(
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did a 10k round the Olympic park today. My time was a genteel 1.15 #slowerthantreacle but finishing in the Olympic stadium was *brilliant*
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did a 10k round the Olympic park today. My time was a genteel 1.15 #slowerthantreacle but finishing in the Olympic stadium was *brilliant*

You might have been slower than treacle... but not as slow as me - I came in at 1:17:28. And I think the slowest was over 2hrs.

I was actually pretty happy with my time. I've done C25k a few times over a period of many years but never kept running after. This year I redid in March / April and instead of quitting, my new running friends talked me into signing up for the 10k which I would never have envisaged doing before.

We're now looking for another 10k race to do, hopefully get an improvement in my time then.

Have to admit I had to blink back the tears entering the tunnel under the stadium with Chariots of Fire playing over the loudspeakers, was a predictable choice, but hit the spot nonetheless.
  • barbarawright
    Options
    I did feel a bit sorry for the spectators who'd had to listen to it for two hours! But wasn't it wonderfui? Did you see your name on the board as you came in?
  • indiepanda
    Options
    I did feel a bit sorry for the spectators who'd had to listen to it for two hours! But wasn't it wonderfui? Did you see your name on the board as you came in?

Yes! I got stupidly excited seeing that.

Not sure how much the spectators could hear the chariots - once you were in the open air of the stadium it seemed to be a changing set of songs. (It actually sounds like they'd taken one of my ipod playlists :-), we came into the Kings of Leon and I heard The Killers and Franz Ferdinand too.)
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Barbara and indiepanda, that sounds fantastic. Just running into the Olympic Stadium would be fantastic but Chariots of Fire playing too, that just makes it even better.

I'm actually quite jealous despite the fact I wouldn't be able to run 10k :)
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    I did 3k yesterday. It was my first run for a couple of weeks because of my hip and it was hard. The hip is a bit achy today but not painful so hopefully I'll be able to go out again on Wednesday.

My husband is also trying to talk me into doing the Biggest Loser 5k in Las Vegas on 20th September (we're already there, he's not suggesting a special trip for it!). It starts at 7:30am but that'll still be pretty hot. Its a run or walk deal so I may end up strolling along for some of it. Although a 7:30am start in Vegas may be even harder.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    Barbara and indiepanda, that sounds fantastic. Just running into the Olympic Stadium would be fantastic but Chariots of Fire playing too, that just makes it even better.

I'm actually quite jealous despite the fact I wouldn't be able to run 10k :)

Until mid May this year I hadn't run more than 5k, and I only re-did couch to 5k in March/April this year.

Up till then I'd done couch to 5k three times over a period of about 5-6 years and quit running each time once I'd got there.

I am also overweight - well, on the BMI scale I think I still just count as obese, and I am the wrong side of 40.

I guess there are people in worse shape than me, but most aren't, so I am inclined to think if I can do it, most people could with some training.
  • barbarawright
    Options
    Three years ago went I went to the Paralympics in the stadium I could hardly run for a bus. Started running a few weeks later - it took me three months to complete C25K (I'm 50). I still walk bits when I do a long (for me) run but the fact I can get round 10k at all still surprises me. I've even done a half-marathon (OK, i was not much less than three hours but I've still got a medal!). And I was 14 stone when I started - I'm still podgy but gradually getting less so. I haven't actually dieted, just tried to make some lifestyle changes and cut down on how much crap I shovel into my mouth

Basically if I can do a 10k, then *anyone* can!
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    I did 3k yesterday. It was my first run for a couple of weeks because of my hip and it was hard. The hip is a bit achy today but not painful so hopefully I'll be able to go out again on Wednesday.

My husband is also trying to talk me into doing the Biggest Loser 5k in Las Vegas on 20th September (we're already there, he's not suggesting a special trip for it!). It starts at 7:30am but that'll still be pretty hot. Its a run or walk deal so I may end up strolling along for some of it. Although a 7:30am start in Vegas may be even harder.

Not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed that we leave Vegas on the 12th :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure