The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    finished the week with a gentle run with my friend who is fairly new to running
    I'm still doing slimming world and my weight loss has slowed a lot since I began running more frequently, does anyone else find this? is there anything I can do?
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    Completed a long run this morning in training for half marathon. I ran 14k in 1:52 ave 8.01 per k, if I keep this up I'm hoping to run the half marathon in about 2:50. Does anyone else find they can keep up an average pace for 21k or do you slow considerably later in race?

For a half as long as you've trained and pace it correctly you should be able to maintain the pace until the end of the race. The reason many slow down in that type of race is either that they are under-trained, or that they get an adrenaline rush at the start of the race and shoot off too quickly.

As for weight loss sorry I can't help with that, that's never been a problem for me. The only thing I'd say is to maybe watch out for what you eat and drink on the run. Sports drinks and gels are pure sugar.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    Can anyone else ease my guilt and tell me they're also taking a 'heat break'?!

Sorry, no. :p

Mrs G just gets up early and goes out when its cool.
  • LondonGirl252
    LondonGirl252 Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also struggling in the heat Lady Bee! I usually go out before work but I am just massively lacking in energy right now, I am terrible in the heat. I'm more likely to run in the pouring rain!

I have a hospital treatment next week which means no strenuous exercise for at least 3 weeks after so I'm going to get back into pilates (its a very sedate one) and try a beginners yoga and then pick up running again next month :(
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
  • alb1
    alb1 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice on running shoes.

I've had a really tight calf since before I started running and am having sports massages in an attempt to fix it. I'm only running up to 3km at the moment so I'm still very much a beginner.

As part of my attempt to sort my legs out before I try to up the distance I've had gait analysis done and was matched with a pair of Brooks Vapor 2s. Having got them home though and worn them (in the house) for more than 2 minutes, they're actually going to be too narrow. Can anyone recommend a similar shoe which comes in a wider fit? Ideally as cheap as possible, but I'm happy to pay a little more if it means I get the right support.

Thanks
  • Annie021063
    Options
    For a half as long as you've trained and pace it correctly you should be able to maintain the pace until the end of the race. The reason many slow down in that type of race is either that they are under-trained, or that they get an adrenaline rush at the start of the race and shoot off too quickly.

As for weight loss sorry I can't help with that, that's never been a problem for me. The only thing I'd say is to maybe watch out for what you eat and drink on the run. Sports drinks and gels are pure sugar.
    Thanks for the advice, I steer clear of gels etc stick to water and the odd jelly baby
  • VestanPance
    Options
    alb1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice on running shoes.

I've had a really tight calf since before I started running and am having sports massages in an attempt to fix it. I'm only running up to 3km at the moment so I'm still very much a beginner.

As part of my attempt to sort my legs out before I try to up the distance I've had gait analysis done and was matched with a pair of Brooks Vapor 2s. Having got them home though and worn them (in the house) for more than 2 minutes, they're actually going to be too narrow. Can anyone recommend a similar shoe which comes in a wider fit? Ideally as cheap as possible, but I'm happy to pay a little more if it means I get the right support.

Thanks

I don't like recommending shoes. What great for one person, can be horrific for another. If you bought the Brooks from the store you got that gait analysis done then take them back and try on some other pairs to see what feels good.

I'm not keen on a shop "matching" you with a specific pair. A specific style like neutral, ones that counter pronation, cushioned/minimalist, but they should offer to let you try on different brands of each type of that show.

I'm surprised at Brooks being narrow, not something I would associate them with.
  • VestanPance
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I steer clear of gels etc stick to water and the odd jelly baby

Good luck with the weight loss.

To be honest I don't think running will see anyone drop lots of weight, unless they are doing big mileage. If you're following your diet then you shouldn't fall into the trap many new runners do of eating far more than they're burning up running as they think they'll need it.

Running will help you have good cardiovascular fitness. Weight is more diet than anything else.
  • Annie021063
    Options
    1st run for July tonight with my ladies running club, we did a 6km social run. Just what i needed before my 10k on sunday
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    I admire all of you who have been getting out and running in this heat, it just seems to sap all my energy when I'm running.

Race for Life 5k tomorrow. I haven't run in over a week because my hip has still been sore, plus this weather makes it far harder, so I'm just going out in the hope of running the whole course tomorrow rather than doing a good time. It's forecast to be a bit cooler but still 19°. After that, I'll see how my hip is holding up and make a decision on whether to rest it again or do the second half of c210k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure