The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    This is all good advice. I think when you start these plans you just plan to bash on through it three times a week, perhaps they could do with adding a bit of beginners advice, maybe some do, the one I'm using doesn't!

I'm still resting up but things seem to be improving. Left knee currently feels fine and right knee is around 90%. I'm hoping to get back out again perhaps Sunday or Monday, I think I will repeat a week 2 day to keep things gentle to start off with.

Yeah I'm using the NHS one and that usually ends with 'rest up tomorrow and get back out the day after' sort of thing but i'm just taking my time really.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I've got a sore hip too. :( I did my two 5k runs last weekend, and then rested till thursday. Put my car in the garage and jogged 3.5k home, walked the last wee bit. Then went back for the car, so my walk for the day would have been 4k. Had sore hip when I set out for the walk. :( I can't remember if my hip was sore last weekend or not, but it was sore halfway through parkrun this morning and is sore now. Annoying! I'll need to take a couple of days off.
  • silvertabby_2
    Options
    Managed to run the park run today. However was 3 seconds slower than last week when I had to walk at 2 points. Next goal is to reduce the time it takes as well as running the whole course.
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    Well I've got a sore hip too. :( I did my two 5k runs last weekend, and then rested till thursday. Put my car in the garage and jogged 3.5k home, walked the last wee bit. Then went back for the car, so my walk for the day would have been 4k. Had sore hip when I set out for the walk. :( I can't remember if my hip was sore last weekend or not, but it was sore halfway through parkrun this morning and is sore now. Annoying! I'll need to take a couple of days off.

Sorry to hear this, we're all falling apart! Hope your hip is better soon and you'll be back out there going well. I'm definitely heading out tomorrow for the first time since last Sunday, had a big lunch today for Father's Day so am putting it off for an extra day, fingers crossed it will all be fine.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, we're all falling apart! Hope your hip is better soon and you'll be back out there going well. I'm definitely heading out tomorrow for the first time since last Sunday, had a big lunch today for Father's Day so am putting it off for an extra day, fingers crossed it will all be fine.

Feels a bit better today but still sore. Resting another day or two. Might do a short jog on Tuesday. Will keep it to 3k though.

Sometimes you just need to work your days around things, good luck with the run tomorrow. :j
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Managed to run the park run today. However was 3 seconds slower than last week when I had to walk at 2 points. Next goal is to reduce the time it takes as well as running the whole course.

3 seconds is really nothing, so don't be worrying about being slower. So you've made a difference by taking your pace down to the correct level so you don't need to walk, so you've done it pretty much exactly right if there's only 3 seconds of a difference on a run where you were going to fast then having to walk. So well done on getting the pace right.

So now you can chip away at the time a bit, it will come quite naturally at first as you will get a bit fitter and your breathing will improve. Take it gently though, just knock a little off each week so you can have a good few PB's!
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Went out last night and got on okay. I did a week 2 day so 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking. I had a bit of pain but nothing too bad. Later on in the evening I put a heat patch on my right knee and I think that helped as it isn't hurting this morning. As long as things stay the same I will try another one of these 90 seconds days later in the week with a view to advancing back to week 3 maybe next week. One positive I felt was that stamina wise I was okay doing it so I'm pleased about that as that means I'm getting there fitness wise!

Keep going everyone! :j
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Lesley, I hope your hip is feeling better.

Mine is still sore - not as bad as it was but still achy. I went out today intending to do 5k but only got to 3k - 21m 35s so reasonably quick for me. The hip wasn't the problem with the distance, it was the heat. I think I'll have to start running later on in the evening as it was still far too hot at 5pm. My Race for Life 5k is a week on Sunday so I'd like to get one 5k run in this week, if only to prove to myself that I can still do it!

After that I think I'll give my hip a couple of weeks rest, then start the c210k app from week 8.
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Went out last night and got on okay. I did a week 2 day so 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking. I had a bit of pain but nothing too bad. Later on in the evening I put a heat patch on my right knee and I think that helped as it isn't hurting this morning. As long as things stay the same I will try another one of these 90 seconds days later in the week with a view to advancing back to week 3 maybe next week. One positive I felt was that stamina wise I was okay doing it so I'm pleased about that as that means I'm getting there fitness wise!

Keep going everyone! :j

I went back a week a couple of times when I was struggling and it helped so I think you've done the right thing. You've still seen an improvement - what was hard last time was easier - which is good. We are all falling apart though, if it's not hips it's knees. Yours sounds like it's improving so hopefully you'll be back to full fitness soon.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Good to see you are all keeping at it, although watching out for those injuries. Shame we're all falling apart in the middle of summer as well!

Cotty - that was my standard 3k time, about 21 or 22, for a long time, but I can now get under 20 if I try hard. So there's not much difference here, and you're newer to running, so you're going to be faster than me soon I would think.

Ladybee - this is a shame about your knees, as you say you seem to be getting to grips with it other than the knee pain. Do you think your trainers are suitable? I was getting a sore knee at first when I was running because I started out running in my tennis shoes. While they were comfy enough, they weren't quite right. Might also just be your knees getting used to it though. Hopefully it will improve soon. Hot/cold - I never know which one is right. I don't like cold anyway, so I tend to go for heat! :)

Good news for me is that my hip is doing well. I did quite a long walk yesterday, about 4 or 5 miles, and only a bit sore near the end, but nothing later or today. I've been taking ibuprofen once a day though as I've got tennis elbow as well, so I've had to stop playing tennis, unless you count the left handed stuff I was trying to play the other night.

Not been out running this week yet. Think I'm going in the morning with husband, so that will be 3k likely. We ran parkrun in 33:18 on Saturday, that's his fastest since being unwell so it was a decent achievement for him. His PB is 28:30 or something like that but I very much doubt he'll run at that again. Heart problem so not terribly safe to push, but has been told it should be ok to jog. My PB is 32:10 so he'll probably be faster than me in the next few weeks, but I'll probably try and keep up so he might end up getting me another PB!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure