Need help and advice - SOA attached

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    OP's last thread, may help with some of the questions being raised.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4842661&page=12

OP states they cancelled their mortgage cover and the life insurance only covers £20k, so it sounds like the mortgage will not be paid off. Have you received the 20k?
  • glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    I think the previous poster thinks its strange that the boss of your deceased partner wants to take you for dinner to explain why he is paying you 1000 a month that he does not have to.

Is it his boss who is paying it out his own pocket, or does the boss also own the company.

I would also think this would have to be declared income that may affect your benefits....

But in saying that, you can not rely on this money, all it takes is an unforseen expense on the side of those paying the money and it will stop.

You said previously you had arranged a 6 month mortgage holiday - is that still the case
  • BMG
    BMG Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    The boss does own the company. He has always called in and taken both of us to dinner if he was in the area. I didn't think anything strange about it just taking me. We have known each other for years. I think he is just being kind.

I have declared the money to the DWP and they are looking into it all.

No money received yet for mortgage payment.

Mortgage still on holiday but I included in SOA as it will have to be paid at some point in the future
  • glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    I would not include the 1000 in the SOA as that money is not guaranteed - and certianly not after 12 months.

You have 6 months with 1000 coming in and no mortgage going out where you can make a huge dent on some of your debts.
  • FinanciallyUnsavvy
    Options
    I don't think there's anything strange about your husband's boss taking you to dinner, or even about the £1,000 compassionate pay really. Your husband undoubtedly worked for him a long time. I know a lot of people who have good relationships inside and out of work with their bosses, and would go to dinner, etc.

I agree with the comments above though - this money isn't guaranteed, and you should try not to rely on it too much, as it could be stopped at any time.

As mentioned before, you need to sort out the life assurance asap and get money you are entitled to. You've not been paying £15 a month for 25+ years into that for nothing.

After that, you need to secure yourself regular long-term income. I understand you can't work for disability, but don't/can't claim benefit. I respect your wishes not to talk about this, but I urge you to contact the correct avenues to try and sort this out. You ARE entitled to help, so fight your corner.

Only you can fix your situation. We are here to give advice and support, but nothing in life magically fixes itself unfortunately. You've had such a rough time, and things won't get easier overnight, but if you just take a few hard steps in the right direction, you WILL get there.

Best of luck to you. x
  • BMG
    Options
    I am claiming benefits. They are shown on the SOA.

I will remove the £1000 next time I update it.

Meeting CAB a week on Friday to discuss Life Assurance
  • FinanciallyUnsavvy
    Options
    BMG wrote: »
    I am claiming benefits. They are shown on the SOA.

Sorry, I was referring to your old thread where you stated you were not entitled to anything:
    BMG wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that I can not work due to ill health but I am no entitled to any benefits because they don't think that I am ill!!!

I'm glad your situation has changed a little with regards to this and you're getting a bit of help, but I should think you will be entitled to more. If you are disabled to the extent you have had to have your house altered in order to manage, it is certainly worth looking into all means of help that is available to you.
  • BMG
    Options
    Just to update you I will not longer be receiving the £1000 a month. We discussed it last night and he offered to pay one of the credit cards off completely. That was a surprise. He admitted he hadn't really paid the money he was worth whilst doing the work for him. He is trying to make amends now. Pity he didn't do it before because I wouldn't be left with this mess.
  • glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    So your monthly income will now be 510, which credit card will he pay off?

you now need to look again at your monthly outgoings - you cant afford a car even with the mortgage holiday.

your income is 510

Council tax............................. 145
    Electricity............................. 35
    Gas..................................... 30
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 35
    Telephone (land line)................... 45
    Mobile phone............................ 11
    TV Licence.............................. 12.1
    Internet Services....................... 20
    Petrol/diesel........................... 150
    Road tax................................ 23.75
    Car Insurance........................... 37.5
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 15.51

so before any rent or mortgage payments or food or insurances or debt repayments your monthly outgoings are 560 - or 50 more than your income

every month - and thats without paying back any debt or eating any food!

the car needs to go...I think you know that
  • BMG
    Options
    He has offered to pay the middle one. About £6000.

The care will not be going. I have given my reasons before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure