Need help and advice - SOA attached

Options

Comments

• BMG
    BMG Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Would the mortgage not have been paid off with life insurance policy after the accident - maybe look into it.
    I am going to speak to CAB as I don't understand the life assurance. I never had anything to do with it. I was just added onto an existing policy when we got married
    Make sure you get your council tax single person discount back dated to the date he moved out.

Look into selling the house, you are doing well just now, but when the 1000 a month stops, your mortgage and ct will be your total income

The house is on the market at the moment.
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    BMG wrote: »
    [/COLOR]
    hubby was only a contractor so all these things you are mentioning do not apply to him, including the fact that he didn't die at work. The policies the company have only cover work related deaths. He didn't have any death in service benefits and he did not have a pension.

Hi BMG,

Firstly my thoughts are with you at this terrible time.

With regards to the above, it's a common misconception that a death has to occur during working hours or on the premises for a death in service benefit to pay out. This simply isn't true. You just have to be employed by the company at the time. I think you are correct in thinking that rules will differ as he was a contractor but I think this is worth looking into. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some provision for this situation and his boss is just paying this out of the goodness of his heart.

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    Excellent news then.

Getting the life assurance to pay off the remaining mortgage would be a huge help.

Long term (after the 12 months are up) - you may have to look at the viability of a car that costs 250 a month (roughly) when your income is 600.....
  • glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    Agree with the above, business do not usually pay thousands out of goodness...

Death in service means still on the payroll - but if he was a self employed sub contractor then that will confuse things I am sure....

If there was a death in service benefit, you would get a lump sum, and possibly even a widows pension from his employer - again if he was employed he will have had a pension....( I think thats the case)
  • FinanciallyUnsavvy
    Options
    You were added onto your husband's life assurance when you got married - so the policy has been in place for well over 25 years then?

Definitely there will be some payout from that. That should be your first port of call. Hopefully CAB will be able to help you with that!
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2014 at 1:14PM
    Options
    I think the confusion is coming because on the one hand you said your husband was a contractor, which suggests self-employment and all the peaks and troughs of work that entails (and indeed your husband seem to have). On the other hand, he has an employer, which suggests a job with a contract and tax and national insurance taken at source, and a regular salary.

Your husband was a contractor - so does this mean he was self-employed or employed (did he do his own tax returns every year and pay his own tax and national insurance) and was it for specific short-term contracts where his employer paid all of this before handing across his salary?

The reason people are asking is that your husband's boss has certain obligations as an employer, and you can't just pay across £1,000 a month to a worker's widow without filling in a lot of paperwork, and it being recorded somewhere as some kind of Death in Service benefits, not least because HMRC has its own rules about this.

It's a lot of money he's paying you and will be recorded on his books somewhere.

I'm concerned that as an employer he will have insurance to cover this kind of thing and he may be giving you the bare minimum that he has claimed for. I'm concerned you are being done out of something you are entitled to.

Is there any kind of paperwork in your house associated with your husband's job?
  • shaniannie
    shaniannie Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have any of the life assurance paperwork? Surely that's to cover the mortgage, so you make the claim and then the mortgage is paid off?
  • BMG
    Options
    He was a contractor with no contract so anything linked to a contract doesn't apply. He just worked when he was asked and they paid him. He didn't get paid every month just as and when.

I have spoken to his boss and he said the payments are nothing to do with the business. He is paying them himself to help me out of a mess. He didn't want to tell me this but now I have pushed him into it. I feel dreadful now. He is in the area this evening so he has asked if he can call in and have a chat and maybe take me to dinner.
  • shaniannie
    shaniannie Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options

Read all the previous threads and this one, but that's the top hat... I'm out lol
  • BMG
    Options
    shaniannie wrote: »

Read all the previous threads and this one, but that's the top hat... I'm out lol

What do you mean??????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport