We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax Credits Renewals - 2014

Options

Comments

1111 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    caitjustso wrote: »
    Is there a timescale after its been escalated? Mine was 3 weeks ago, claim received 15 weeks ago?

Someone on another forum has been waiting 16 week and hers was escalated 4 week ago and still hasn't heard anything, seems they are starting to put the awards through now as a few people have had theirs finalized in last couple of days.
    I waited 9 week and it was done this week so hopefully yours wont be far off.
  • rachie3103
    Options
    so, there was me thinking that my tax credits were all sorted after my renewal was finalized... maybe i should have known better!

My final tax credits award for year 13/14 has decided to inform me that i earned £1400 from self employment...even though I wasn't and am not self employed. My partner became self employed in Jan this year and his figures are correct, so i haven't a clue where my supposed £1400 has come from! I was on IB-JSA from september 2012 until Jan 2014.

Then my award for 14/15 comes through and apparently my estimated earnings is also... £1400!!! My partners estimated earnings is £1192 giving us a total of £2592 which is what they have based our current tax credits payments on. I rang them and told them that I haven't and am NOT CURRENTLY self-employed and that my partners estimated earnings for 14/15 is £8000.

I need help figuring out the following please, if anyone can help me!

1. For the year 13/14, will the £1400 earnings deducted from our finalized award (i have told them that this wasn't earned) incur any underpayment due to us, or does it count under the £2500 disregard?

2. When i told the tax credits office this morning that my partners estimated earnings for 14/15 is £8000, rather than the random figure of £2592 (including the £1400 i am apparently earning this year), will it make a difference to my payment amounts once they have recalculated my correct estimates? (i.e. +£5408 difference)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, my head feels like a sticky fluffy waffle stuffed with marshmallows trying to figure it all out!
  • rachie3103
    Options
    it was £2592 but i have informed them that only £1192 was actually earned for my partners self-employment, because they put down i had earned £1400 when i hadnt.
  • rachie3103
    Options
    thats great thanks, i'm not the brightest of people as you can tell! yes, it does say reduction due to your income £0 :) thanks for your help hun xx
  • VIK42
    Options
    Hi hoping someone can help me, apologise for long winded post in advance!

Am having nightmare trying to get tax credit renewal finalised. Renewed over the phone on 11th June giving actual figures for myself and my partner. Partner is self employed and only started business up in 2013 so accounts show a loss for his first trading year of just over £7,000. I deducted this loss off my part time income which tax credits informed me that I could do. I explained all this to the adviser on the phone who took down the renewal.

Have been waiting for award to be finalised ever since and have phoned a few times since 30th July asking if it had been renewed and was told no still processing on at least 3 occasions. I even asked if I was in a compliance check as it was taking so long and they said no there were no notes to indicate that on the system.

Phoned them again yesterday and was informed that a letter had been sent to me on 30th July (which I have not received) asking me why my income details were different to the ones that were showing on my P60 information that they had got and stating that I had until 29th August to provide this information or my tax credits would stop. Explained to the adviser on the phone that I had given all this information at the time of renewal and had deducted partners losses off my income and she said she would make a note of this and I did not need to do anything else.

My question is will they now wait until 29th August to look at my claim again or will the adviser have alerted the renewals team that I have now given the information (again) and that my claim will be processed straight away. The difference in our estimated income and actual income for 13/14 was £9,200 so Im pretty sure that there will be an underpayment due to us and I could really do with the money to buy school uniforms!

Thanks in advance
  • mrs_sparrow
    mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just popping in to subscribe t this thread as I filled my details in online and have not heard anything. Looks like I have a while to wait yet.
  • nattyd_2
    Options
    nattyd wrote: »
    So rang this morning and after 3 minutes got through to a helpful chap who told me that yes it had been escalated by email on 31st July to the renewals team but as of today still no futher progress and nothing more they can do (14 weeks waiting today) - in essence all he advised that I just need to sit tight and that in fact he had 4 cases yesterday in exactly the same boat!! Surely something can be done about these delays - if we owed them money they'd soon be chasing us demanding repayment!! Totally exasperated right now.
    :(:mad::mad:

So I rang again Tuesday 12th (wtg 15 weeks) spoke to a nice lady who said although escalated on 31st July still not processed so they escalated again - should get call back within 2 weeks - won't hold my breath!! I asked why it was so slow this year and she said that nothing's different just that some claims just get stuck in the system for no particular reason :-( will wait until 26th and then ring again (it will then ring again!!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    VIK42 wrote: »
    Hi hoping someone can help me, apologise for long winded post in advance!

Am having nightmare trying to get tax credit renewal finalised. Renewed over the phone on 11th June giving actual figures for myself and my partner. Partner is self employed and only started business up in 2013 so accounts show a loss for his first trading year of just over £7,000. I deducted this loss off my part time income which tax credits informed me that I could do. I explained all this to the adviser on the phone who took down the renewal.

Have been waiting for award to be finalised ever since and have phoned a few times since 30th July asking if it had been renewed and was told no still processing on at least 3 occasions. I even asked if I was in a compliance check as it was taking so long and they said no there were no notes to indicate that on the system.

Phoned them again yesterday and was informed that a letter had been sent to me on 30th July (which I have not received) asking me why my income details were different to the ones that were showing on my P60 information that they had got and stating that I had until 29th August to provide this information or my tax credits would stop. Explained to the adviser on the phone that I had given all this information at the time of renewal and had deducted partners losses off my income and she said she would make a note of this and I did not need to do anything else.

My question is will they now wait until 29th August to look at my claim again or will the adviser have alerted the renewals team that I have now given the information (again) and that my claim will be processed straight away. The difference in our estimated income and actual income for 13/14 was £9,200 so Im pretty sure that there will be an underpayment due to us and I could really do with the money to buy school uniforms!

Thanks in advance
    30 days sounds like the period they give you between finalising your award and your chance to appeal. So have they actually finalised your award based on your P60, ignoring the figures you gave them? This seems to be a common theme this year - see above. If they sent you a letter on 30 July and you've not received it, same could be true for your award notice.

You need to make certain your award hasn't already been finalised with incorrect figures - if it is and you don't appeal within 30 days it could be too late. If you've still not received the letter, ask them what office it was sent from (address/phone number) and contact them asap, asking what it said and what evidence they need. Also ask them to send you information on how to appeal if they've already finalised your award.

This might be a bit "belt and braces" - I'm not sure of the exact process but I wouldn't take the risk of them having already finalised the award and the appeal window running out...
  • iamlucky18
    Options
    Hi guys. I think this is a fantastic forum and post. New user here.

I'm going to phone the tax office on Monday but I need to get something off my chest. I applied online twice just to be on the safe side. Someone said that he printed of a receipt once he had completed the form. I don't remember seeing a a receipt after completion. However, I did see a message saying that I should receive a letter in August etc.

I then closed the window by pressing the x button, not by pressing the 'DONE' button. Would the details have been saved?

I might be worrying unnecessarily but I'm that that type of person unfortunately.

Thanks guys.
  • iamlucky18
    Options
    Yes, I have been receiving payments but I thought they were provisional?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport