🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW

Options

Comments

• ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I had hoped to wake up today and find that yesterday was all a bad dream but no luck. I have such a reaction to anything political before :( What has upset me the most are the people who voted out that are now saying 'I didn't realise this would happen' and 'I'm really worried now. I wish I could change my vote.' :mad: DH works for a building company. Most of the workers and the boss voted out - they were really upset yesterday when they realised that their main contracts are EU funded :mad::mad::mad:

Anyway, rant over for now. I need to get on with something I can control and make sure our finances are in order as I'm worried for DH's job.
    • Took poorly dog for his first long walk. 3.2 miles on the lead and a cheeky gallop round the park at the end. Safe to say he's worn out now!
    • New tumble dryer ordered form the 1ndesit/h0tpoint replacement thingy. Only £59 and it has a sensor to stop when it's dry :money:
    • J£wsons account partly paid. Still waiting for some prices to be changed then we can pay the rest.
    • Sink, tap, oven, hob, cooker hood and fridge freezer ordered with a great dscount and way cheaper that what was included with our kitchen :T
    • 8/29 reports written. Laptop battery flat and forgot charger - oh well...

Lots of money saving going on but it is mostly because we are spending loads :eek: I hope our budget holds out.

Better get going, I've got a bathroom to insulate!
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ljaneyr wrote: »
    Well, I had hoped to wake up today and find that yesterday was all a bad dream but no luck. I have such a reaction to anything political before :( What has upset me the most are the people who voted out that are now saying 'I didn't realise this would happen' and 'I'm really worried now. I wish I could change my vote.' :mad: DH works for a building company. Most of the workers and the boss voted out - they were really upset yesterday when they realised that their main contracts are EU funded :mad::mad::mad:
    I think a lot of people are going to realise just how much funding the UK has received :(
    • New tumble dryer ordered form the 1ndesit/h0tpoint replacement thingy. Only £59 and it has a sensor to stop when it's dry :money:
    Which is all very well. But does it have an internal light :D?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Which is all very well. But does it have an internal light :D?

:rotfl: I shouldn't think so! But it is a much better model than our old one :D
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Evening everyone :)

After a weekend spent working on our house with my DH (more insulating, putting screws in plasterboard and a lot of tidying :D) I am bloomin' knackered again this week! I have also caught my mum's cold but I'm feeling slightly better today.

* Tiles ordered for kitchen and upstairs loo
    * 12/29 reports written
    * Dog food and non-allergy expensive fish treats purchased with £10 plus 10% extra off
    * Mum is going on holiday tomorrow - party? :j In reality I will just give the house a good tidy and clean (she's really messy!) and pretend to be a grown up again :o
    * Work continues to be hectic but we're all looking forward to next Tuesday ;)

Roll on the weekend...only need to finish the wiring and plumbing, get the boiler fitted, fit the kitchen, insulate, board, tile then fit the bathroom, build the stairs...we'll be home in no time :eek::rotfl:
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Yay it's payday :j and I don't work Fridays :j

We managed to save a total of £832.85 (£100 of which went into the holiday fund) which I think is quite good after spending so much on the car and the pet insurance excess.

Pet insurance cheque arrived finally so I can pay that in tomorrow - what a relief as it's over £600 :T

17/30 reports written and I'm going to try to do a load tomorrow.

DH has lost his card for our building account :mad:

Oh, and this site won't let me use the only appropriate words to express how I feel about Boris Johnson today :mad:
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Woo! 1000 posts!
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Woohoo for payday :j and great savings :j and 1000 posts :j
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • ljaneyr
    edited 3 July 2016 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Hmmph :( My cold is still clinging on and is beginning to turn into a cough. I don't think standing on a beach in the rain yesterday afternoon helped at all! I had a slight lie in this morning - until 7.30 - and now have a headache as well.

I won't be going to yoga now so just have a list of jobs to do as well as tackling the next lot of reports. Joy.

[STRIKE]Library
    Pay in cheques[/STRIKE]
    Post return
    [STRIKE]Sort out recycling
    Tidy living room
    Sweep up mountains of dog hair (mostly mum's dog!)[/STRIKE]
    Vacuum
    [STRIKE]Clean up in garden[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Reports
    Reports
    Reports[/STRIKE]... :eek:
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Still feeling a bit pants with this cold :(

Friday was a really busy day with cleaning and school work. When I finally switched the laptop off at 7pm I had a fairly impressive headache :eek: I felt a bit better yesterday so went to work on the house with DH. The 'building site' (a.k.a Our Future Home :D) is now all tidy and organised :A.

I'm back to feeling rubbish today though so I thought I'd let DH have a day of peace without me coughing constantly in the background :o

So far I have fully updated all the spreadsheets, ordered our internal doors and rescued a bird from the conservatory! I've got more washing and cleaning to do and I'm going to try to get more reports out of the way - only 8 to go :j

Hope you are having a more relaxing Sunday!

Janey x
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    So frustrating :( Sitting inside on a sunny day writing reports and wondering if this is the only sun we'll get this summer :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport