Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW

Options

Comments

• ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2016 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Thought I'd have a go at this for September. Hoping it will bring a bit of focus into the chaos.

NST September Challenge Rules:

Spends – aim for at least 14 NSD’s.

A lot of our things were ready for the skip when we moved out six months ago and some of our things were ruined in storage so we have a long list of things to buy for the house. We are also still buying building materials so I think NSDs will be few and far between! I may still record if any do happen so I have something to beat next month.

Eating – menu plan for September. Can you start using up bits in the freezer ready to make room for Christmas food? Make sure you take lunch to work every day.

I am just about to do a September menu plan but our cupboards and freezer are almost empty and need stocking up!

Presents – make your Christmas lists. Who needs a present and who will just have a card? Can you reduce any of the people you ‘have’ to get presents for? Could you make any presents - we have plenty of time to prepare things? Do you need sellotape/wrapping paper/bows etc? What are you doing/where are you going for Xmas this year? Can you start buying food ready – remember a lot of meat goes up in price from the end of November so get it early while you can. (This might be controversial but anything you buy from your Xmas list this month will not count towards a spend day unless you buy other stuff as well – I want everyone to be well underway for Xmas by the end of September)

I would like to get on top of this early. We are having Christmas at our house this year (if it is ready) and it will be expensive. I have suggested everyone helps with a dish and also that we do £10 a present for immediate family.

Time – make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

This one will be important (and near impossible) as I go back to work this month! Also need to encourage DH to do this as he works full time then works on our own house in the evenings and weekends

Empty – pick a drawer or cupboard to empty and sort through. If it’s the junk drawer what can you do to stop it becoming a junk drawer? Keep on top of this drawer/cupboard all month so nothing that shouldn’t be there goes in.

As I said earlier, we have very little 'stuff' around the place (apart from tools etc). I am trying to sort through things as we unpack and make sure everything is well organised. We still have a lot of bin bags and things in storage that we have nowhere to put yet. There is always building stuff to tidy, organise and throw away!

Meet – meet up with a friend/family member who you have not seen for ages but keep meaning to. Ring/email/text them now and arrange something for this month.

I'm feeling a bit isolated from most of my friends at the moment due to some personal reasons so I need to make a real effort here. I have a couple of friends who understand and one I've been promising to meet up with.

Bed– either start bedding down the garden for winter or you will start making the bedroom suitable for the cooler weather.
    In the garden, start sorting out the pots – do they need a wash before being stored for winter? Does the garden furniture need any oil/paint before it gets put away for winter? Do any flowers/bushes need cutting back yet?
    In the bedroom, do you need to put the winter duvet on? Do any duvets need washing? Can you have a clear out – clean under the bed, wash down the bedside tables?

Bed - our bedroom only has three walls and no flooring so I feel very uninspired in this area! I have no idea what duvet is on the bed at the moment and a new bed is on the list to buy. Our old divan and mattress went mouldy in storage :eek::eek::eek:

Garden - looks like a rubbish tip at the moment. I need to keep on top of the weeds and our neighbours trees that grow over the fence.

Exercise – do as much exercise as possible, aim for every 2 days as a minimum. Can you make the most of these evenings before it gets dark at 5pm? For those like me who have dogs, can you walk them a different route or for longer?

Need to walk the dogs at least 5 days a week and go to all of my pilates classes as I pay in advance.

Reading – the first public lending library opened on 6th September 1852. If you have not yet joined your local library could you join it? Everyone will read a book during this month and report back with comments – hopefully it will encourage others to try new books. Books can be either fiction or non-fiction.

Our local library is under threat of closure :( I finished a book last night and have two books ready. Dominion by CJ Sansom and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith.

The challenge will run from 1st September 00:01 until 30th September 00:00.
    Everyone is to budget their income for the month and remember to pay your debts first.
    To celebrate Michaelmas Day I would like you all to donate to a food bank or to host a share meal with friends/family. I used to love the Harvest Festivals when I was a child; everyone would bring in a tin of food to be donated to the local food bank and the local vicar would do a lovely service all about harvest. Could this tie in with the Meet part of our challenge?
    Were you a NST last year? 12 months ago applemuncher asked:
    12 months from now, you will be one year older.
    But will you be one year better?
    If you want to change where you are in your life, it is up to YOU and you alone.
    Where do you want to be in 12 months’ time?
    Plan for your future.
    So what did you want to happen in 12 months -has it happened?

We do a harvest festival and auction at school - does this count? :o

12 months ago I wasn't a member but I was recently-ish married and we were at the start of the building work. A lot has happened since then, including losing my dear FIL suddenly. I'm feeling more positive about the next 12 months.

In 12 months time I would love to be pregnant!!! But I'm not very hopeful about this :( (please prove me wrong ;)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    A busy day today. School work finished (ish), three loads of washing done and dried, September meal plan done and Mr T order updated fro tomorrow, phone call made and cleared up after dogs in the garden (:().

Collected car from garage - MOT and service £340 :eek: They also replaced the water pump again but this was under warranty. I reeaaally hope this finall fixes the water leak because I'm fed up of filling it up :mad:

Tax rebate received £17
    Cashback requested £5

Not a bad day - enjoyed watching the blackbird clan enjoying themselves in the garden :D
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Hmmm, not a very successful day so far. Our original plans were rained off so we decided to pop into our nearest big town to look at beds and go to the bank. Furniture shop only had one bed and I wasn't impressed with the quality of the rest of their stuff. Bank said we needed to make an appointment :mad:

DH paid for tea and cake to make the trip 'worthwhile' so I can still claim a NSD ;)

Stopped by mum's on the way home to pick up more stuff and she tried to get DH to do a load of jobs. Luckily we had to get home for a delivery.

Felt ill on the way home and have spent an hour in bed :o

DH has gone out for a gig with his band now so I'm going to try and do a bit of tidying etc before Mr T order arrives then read a bit of my book.
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Well that's the first day back out of the way! Kids in tomorrow and I feel very disorganised and can't get my head around it - as usual! New head teacher is a breath of fresh air though - actually positive and seems to know what he's talking about :T

NSD today, the second so far this month. We had stir fry for tea and I bought all the veg separately and chopped it rather than buying a packet, bought quorn fillets rather than chicken-style pieces... then spoiled it with a jar of sauce :rotfl:

Washing done and put away and I'm really hoping for an early night. This work thing is tiring!

Janey x
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had kids back today and I'm shattered! I bet we have earlier bedtimes than they do!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    We had kids back today and I'm shattered! I bet we have earlier bedtimes than they do!

Some of my class were very tired today!
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Tired again today :eek: I really need to get back into a routine of early nights.

First day back with the children was OK. I have got myself a good group this year - it's going to be a tough slog up to the next set of tests but at least they're nice!

I bought some books home but should have bought the lappy as DH is out and I already have a ridiculous list. I'm just waiting for someone to come and pick up some left over insulation then it's going to be shower, book and bed :)

Ooh and it's been another NSD :T

Janey x
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Phew - I don't think I've had a minute to spare since the start of term and I'm exhausted!

DH and I went to the bank today and closed one of our 123 accounts and made the other into our joint account. It's just not worth having the two accounts with the recent changes and I'm going to be looking for a new home for our savings soon.

We've continued spending on the house but have managed quite a few NSDs. We've really tightened up our personal spends this month and hope to buy a new bed and mattress before the end of the month. Our current bed went rusty and moldy in storage :eek:

DH is out tonight so I've done some batch cooking and now I'm going to watch some TV and get an early night,

Janey x
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    :eek: New bed and mattress ordered :eek:

Came to more than £700 including two sets of delivery costs plus removal of old bed and mattress. This feels very extravagant although I know it's not :o I'm just not used to spending money on this type of thing. However spending £700 at the builders merchants feels fairly normal...
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Morning (it will be afternoon by the time I have typed this)

Another extremely busy week and I'm struggling to find the positives :( New headteacher is demanding a lot and it's taking all my time in the evenings and again today to keep up. Next week we've got a SIP visit and a separate lesson observation. I've already spent 3 hrs planning the lesson and have more planning and resourcing to do :(

My car is really poorly. Garage have explored all cheap(ish) options and it's booked in for head gasket or something to do with the cylinders next week estimated at £500-£1000. DH doesn't want to pay it and would rather continue topping the water up until we can get a new car but that won't be until after we remortgage in February as we'll need finance. It's all very well but he doesn't drive it :(

To add to the annoyance, the water cap has broken and got stuck so I'll need to take it in on Mon because I can't top up the water. It wouldn't be too much hassle except the garage is 30 mins away and I'm already stupidly busy at work.

Finally, that fertility program with Alex Jones annoyed me this week and there was a pregnancy announcement at work :(

OK I'll stop moaning now I've got it off my chest :o

It's been a spendy week but I did get a refund for some out of date houmous from Mr Ts and H@bitat refunded for a faulty bathmat which we are allowed to keep and I'm hoping we can fix it.

Think I better leave before I start moaning again :o

Janey X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure