🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    On to happier things....

I love it when people decide they might like to try a cruise

Mouche, I'm sure you'd have a lovely time

My suggestions would be

As you have a child with you, look for cruise ships marked as 'family friendly'. They have some fantastic facilities for children, and as we all know a happy LO = happy parents!

I'm not sure if you want to fly out to the port, to be sure of better weather, especially if you go later in the year. Or you could sail from the UK, from Southampton or Dover or Harwich. But on a shorter cruise sailing from the UK, you don't go very far away, so you'd probably get UK type weather.

Shorter cruises tend to be 2 -3 day weekenders, or 7 days. I'm not too sure if there are many 5 days

The Company I go with is P & O, who have family friendly ships. Also, I understand Royal Caribbean and Princess are good for families.

For your £1000, you'd probably get a 3 day weekender cruise for the three of you, travelling from Southampton. It sounds expensive, but all your food onboard is included - and there is a lot of food to eat. Drinks are extra, as are excursions. But you don't have to do an excursion at every port. At most ports, you can just get of the ship and do your own thing in town.

In a slightly lower price range, I've heard good things about Thomson cruises, so they might be worth looking at

Hope this is of some help - if you want to know anything else, just ask:)

Be warned, cruising is addictive!:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Goldie, your ear problem sounds awful :( My DH had a similar problem but instead of syringing (he was told they didn't do that anymore, but maybe that was just in our area??) he had to go to hospital & they did a 'suction' procedure on his ear & the wax was sucked out!! _pale_ Sounds gross, but it was very quick & painless, just a weird sensation apparently.

Anyway, hope it gets sorted for you today & you manage to have a lovely weekend :)
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Thanks, pink poppy:)

I went to the doctors this morning, and he had a look in my ear..... and there's not a single bit of wax in there!

What he has suggested is steam inhalation for three weeks, which he says should sort it out.

I was so surprised about there being no wax, I sort of said, ok then, and scuttled out - I didn't think to ask what he thought it might be if it wasn't wax:o

I've been looking on the internet, and it sounds like some sort of middle ear thing. Bit concerned about that as I'm flying at the end of June.

But all I can do is carry out the doctors instructions and see what happens next.

The noise in my ear is now a low hiss, which I can put up with, and sometimes, if I'm in a noisy place I can't hear it at all.

Anyway, no more work for me until 8th May, which I'm very happy about, and off on my Downton Abbey weekend tomorrow, which I intend to enjoy, in spite of the dodgy weather forecast.

When I come back, I intend to have a proper catchup on everybody's diaries.
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Goldie, my OH had a similar inner ear thing and had to fly, he used earplanes (click here) which he found really helpful. Hope things settle soon, I had problems with a sort of fluttering in my ear and tracked it down to a small bone (or something!) reverberating in there. Steams helped and also setting time aside to do some relaxation techniques, that seemed to calm things down and help managed it (I definitely found it got worse if I was tense or feeling stressed).

Cruising! :j I'm also a convert, even though I did get norovirus and spent a week tripping around Europe in a daze but it certainly didn't put me off. ;)Mouche, do look at ones you need to fly out to, we went with Thomson and it was great, loads of things onboard for kids and you can eat whenever you want at the buffet which makes life really easy. Excursions do cost, but they're really worth it as you do cover a lot of ground. You always end up anchoring close to nice things though so if you do a bit of research you can have an equally nice time just wandering about for free. *new paragraph!*

It's such a great way to travel as you sleep through all of it, just wake up the next day et voilà, new adventure! Have a look at ones going on around the Adriatic for autumn, the seas are usually very calm there at that time of year so it's a nice way to ease yourself into it. Lovely weather then as well (I went in October, it was so warm!). My SIL's family cruise all the time and usually go out of Southampton, you can get down to Portugal & the Med from there if you're looking for warmer weather. :)

I really want to go up the Baltic Coast/Norway, hopefully one day!
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Good morning!

I'm back home after my weekend away, which was very good.

Things weren't quite as we thought though. I honestly thought that we were going to be away for 2 nights, returning today. But it was actually a 2 day break, leaving Saturday and returning Sunday. The brochure and all the paperwork didn't really make any of this clear.

No matter, it was still a nice break. It was interesting to see all the rooms we'd seen on TV for Downton Abbey. We were also going to do a river trip from Godalming to Guildford. This was changed to Maidenhead to Windsor. And then changed again as there was flooding in Maidenhead. So we ended up with a river boat ride from Windsor back to Windsor and free time afterwards. Which was fine, as we hadn't been to Windsor before.

Quite pleased to be home early, as the hotel bed was very hard!

Pearla that's very encouraging to read about the earplanes. Makes me feel a bit more confident about my holiday:)

While I was out and about at the weekend, my tinnitus was not very noticeable, but seems worse in the night. Another reason I was pleased to be home early was that it was not very effective doing my steaming over the bathroom sink at the hotel!

When I woke up this morning, the noise was quite insistent, but has faded to a hiss again now. Will get on with my steaming programme, and see what happens.

I'm not working at all this week, so will be taking things quite slow. Will get the washing in the machine, and maybe do some housework, but nothing to energetic.
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the fantastic cruising advice Goldie and Pearla! I will look into it some more based on your tips and see how we get on.

Sorry to hear about your ears Goldie - hope the steaming helps. But if it isn't better in a few weeks, go back to the doctor. I've noticed with things like this they tend to be in a hurry to get you out of their room!

And how lovely that Downton Abbey trip sounds. Must get OH to take me sometime.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    I've had a sort of pottering around day today.

I did the washing and ironing, which was my major achievement, but the rest was just odds and ends.

I've set up my home diary, so everything I need to do / remember is in it, so I feel very organised now. I'll be starting meal planning from the beginning of next week, but this will be flexible and can change if required. One of my aims for the future is to be less bound by routines, so meal plans will be guidelines.

I found a few more things for eBaying, which I've prepared for listing, and used the remainder of my April 99p listings. I'm going to attempt to use all my May 99p listings by the 13th, when they'll be withdrawn.

I thought I was going to have to start a non payment case for one of last weekends auctions, but it was finally paid late last night. Got that posted today, but I find it amazing that someone can wait a week to pay with no other contact or apology!

Mr GG made some marmalade today. His mum used to do this for us, making six jars from a base that is bought in a tin, plus sugar. She died way back in 1996, so mr GG took over this task. I really must work out if it's cheaper than just buying a jar when required.

I'm due to go on holiday 2 months today, June 28th. I've been enthusiastically doing my steam inhalation today. My ear doesn't feel any worse..... But I wouldn't say it feels any better either. I 'm going to give it the three weeks worth of steaming that I've been told to do, and will then return to the doctors if I feel there is still any hint of a problem. If I'm going to be flying, I really want to be sure that it's not going to cause me any pain.
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Hi GG,

Hope your ear is better soon - if it keeps up after the steam treatment maybe ask the doctor for a referal to the ENT ?

Glad you had a nice trip - and i agree its aways nice coming home to your own bed :D

Our cruise - i am hoping to buy just 1 pretty dress for it - i think there are a couple of formal nights type thing but as long as i am comfy and can wear my dress again i'll be happy so i don't think i'll be looking at any of the long evening type things people were wearing on the last cruise (and no doubt this one too :o as i really want to have something i can wear again). I've also had a few disappointments with stuff i've bid on -- material not as expected, size right but fit not quite right, colours not as they seemed in the picture - just down to the picture quality rather than anything else. Think it just boils down to not being able to try things first x

With the bay of e late payers - i never mind a late payer as long as they pay - sometimes i have had people contact me and said they'll be paying in 10 days when they get their wages and is that ok? I've always said no problem and left good feedback for them - they've been really grateful for me not being fussed about waiting too and i've also said *truthfully* that i know what its like to need something and be waiting for payday because things are a bit tight. So i do give the benefit of the doubt - even though its a pain just having to post 1 thing. Am just grumblesome with people who just don't pay :mad:

Homemade marmelade sounds lush and sounds like Mr GG likes keeping the tradition that his mum had started - it would be nice if its cheaper than buying too x
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »

Mr GG made some marmalade today.
    He told me he was at work :(.

Hope you're on the mend soon :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Our cruise - i am hoping to buy just 1 pretty dress for it - i think there are a couple of formal nights type thing but as long as i am comfy and can wear my dress again i'll be happy so i don't think i'll be looking at any of the long evening type things people were wearing on the last cruise (and no doubt this one too :o as i really want to have something i can wear again). I've also had a few disappointments with stuff i've bid on -- material not as expected, size right but fit not quite right, colours not as they seemed in the picture - just down to the picture quality rather than anything else. Think it just boils down to not being able to try things first x

I'm always on the look out for cruise dresses. I have one that I got for my first cruise in 2001 that I still wear - not sure how it still fits me :rotfl:

I have bought dresses on eBay. I tend to stick to brands that I'm familiar with, in the hope that the fit and the material will be ok. Some dresses have been great - others not quite so successful. The ones I haven't liked to much might get worn for one cruise, then moved on via eBay. I also keep a close eye on the sales for dresses.

I normally do a wardrobe review a few months before a cruise, to see what still fits and what might need to be replaced. This year, we are doing the river cruise in the summer, which is more casual, and we have a week at Christmas, so I won't really need anything new for that.

Next year I'll probably have to do a more major review

He told me he was at work :(
    I suppose there are things much worse than marmalade making that he could be doing behind your back!:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family